Home Q & A Forum
Options

2014 d penny odd strike through

So roll hunting continued today and found a 2014 D with this strike through. Need some help on what the object might have been.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tried to rotate and crop but source pic not conducive to much manipulation:

Extrusion strike with strike through?

Or struck through feeder fingers?

What’s the reverse and edge look like?

Interesting.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but it's damaged. You can tell by looking at the reverse. See how it's flattened and distorted. That happens when something hits a coin after it left the mint. Strike throughs happen as the coin is minted so the opposite side looks normal.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    Sorry, but it's damaged. You can tell by looking at the reverse. See how it's flattened and distorted. That happens when something hits a coin after it left the mint. Strike throughs happen as the coin is minted so the opposite side looks normal.

I would agree with you if the letters on the front of the coin were smashed. They are not so I'm still leaning towards mint error. Thanks for the input though.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The raised area on the reverse would not be there if it was resting on the reverse die & the rim is slightly out of round, that would mean it was not still in the collar. Both of these features would indicate (PMD) post mint damage. One possible reason you are not seeing as much damage as you would expect on the letters may be what ever struck the coin may have done so with great impact but the item was a softer material than the coin.

• Options

The question is figuring out what someone used or did to cause the post mint damage.

Boredom is a dangerous thing to many coins.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @Oldhoopster said the reverse would be normal if it were actually a genuine mint error. I would also like to add that the "RUS" in Trust would also be nonexistent if it were a genuine mint error because the object would have kept any design transfer from occurring to the planchet in that area.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that the applied object was softer than the coin. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonDenver said:
    I would agree with you if the letters on the front of the coin were smashed. They are not so I'm still leaning towards mint error. Thanks for the input though.

The reverse tells the story. If you understand the minting process and think it through, it can't be an error.

• Options
    CoinNoviceCoinNovice Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2019 4:31PM

There should be a Small Documentary you are required to watch before anyone posts for the first time,

"Physical Damage or Mint Error,
    which is yours?"

• Options

That's funny you all say its post mint. When I just had an offer on the coin from American Rarities for $10.00.

• Options
    CoinNoviceCoinNovice Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2019 1:27PM

@JonDenver said:
    That's funny you all say its post mint. When I just had an offer on the coin from American Rarities for $10.00.

Run to them, run as fast as you can!
    Ill sell you some for $5!
    lmk ;)

• Options

@JonDenver said:

Just because someone is willing to purchase it doesn't change if it is PMD or not.

Rather than sell it, why don't you pony up the grading fees and send it to PCGS and prove all of us wrong?

• Options

I will even go a step further. You get it graded by PCGS and if it comes back as an error IN A PCGS holder and not genuine graded, I will pay for your grading cost. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. Are you?

• Options

Sell it if someone is willing to buy it.

Expect a SNAD or chargeback if your doing it on the Bay.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonDenver said:

It"s funny that you reject all the experience on the PCGS forum and chose to believe someone inexperienced enough to offer you $10 for a damaged coin.

How exactly do you explain such an "error" being created?

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grab the money. If American Rarities offered you $10 after seeing the same obv and rev pictures you posted here, then that doesn't say very much for their buyer.

@JonDenver youve been posting on here for a while. Think about it for a second. A struck through error occurs with the coin in the chamber. While one side shows the strike through, the other side was still in the die, so it will look like a normal coin. Now look at your coin. See how the area opposite the "strike through" is flat with little detail. That's an obvious characteristic of a coin that was hit after it left the mint. How can the reverse look like this if the coin was still in the die. It can't. That's what members have been trying to tell you.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Thank you to all who were helpful. I will > @ifthevamzarockin said:

I will even go a step further. You get it graded by PCGS and if it comes back as an error IN A PCGS holder and not genuine graded, I will pay for your grading cost. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. Are you?

Well, I was actually going to use a free submission from getting gold membership to PCGS. So instead of paying for the grading cost, let's just keep it friendly and say I told you so. I'm not saying you guys are wrong. I just dont think you are right in this instance. After I get the coin back from grading and if I'm wrong, I will whole hearted admitted it. Deal??

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2019 11:21AM

@JonDenver said:

Don't be silly! Tell them you won't take less than $100!