PCGS Details grades - Cleaned versus "dipping"

2»

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@kbbpll said:

@jmlanzaf said:

If you want more fun, have a look at this SP66 sold August 2015. Cleaned?

No, that coin doesn't have the same "cleaned" look that yours does. At least, to my eye, the Heritage coin looks more "original" or maybe "more professionally dipped".

What coin is that? That looks chemically cleaned. That's the Heritage 66???

When was your coin slabbed? Are you sure that isn't your coin that someone cleaned? Look at the black marks on the legs of the lion and horse on the reverse.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, the slab shot, not the glamour shot.
    Notice that it has a struck through wire (or whatever) at the nose, similar to mine. And oh those hairlines!

• Options
    edited September 2, 2019 2:40PM

@jmlanzaf said:

When was your coin slabbed? Are you sure that isn't your coin that someone cleaned? Look at the black marks on the legs of the lion and horse on the reverse.

I would have to say slabbed at the time PCGS did all or most of the Cook Collection, 1400+ coins. Don't know though.

Not the same coin. Look at struck through wire by nose on obverse. Look at the very straight mark on mine at the leg of the left lion. I see what you mean though, I have been, and continue to go down the road of finding what this coin looking like before Cook got a hold of it. He was the Hansen of Canada - had every example of every Canadian coin. 1911 dollar pattern, 1936 Dot cent best example, etc. Cracked out a lot of famous pedigreed coins and cleaned (ruined) them, from what I gather the street buzz is.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2019 3:14PM

@kbbpll said:
    @jmlanzaf - The reverse under magnification and the right lighting angle is nearly full of uniform vertical die polish lines. There is no hint of any other hairlines, and it appears quite pristine to me. Keep in mind these are specimen dies.
    @Insider2 - I have looked at it at 10x from all angles, and under my lame microscope. There are areas of cross-hatched lines such that the same spot on the coin shows lines running one direction under one lighting angle, and 90 degrees opposite under another. You can see this on some other PCGS examples and on HA. The coin is also distinctly concave on the obverse, and convex on the reverse. (This is also true for some 1948 versions of this coin). The concave side causes accentuation of lines closer to the rim, which of course could have been physically accentuated due to the curvature whether die polishing or cleaning.

I'll post my best efforts at "what it really looks like" and probably move on. I'll follow up with PCGS on what resubmitting is like and take it from there. I consider it "market acceptable cleaning" regardless - I'm the market and it's acceptable. :)

I'm going to side with the guys at PCGS who actually saw the coin in hand. Based on the images you posted, I deleted the useless one, the coin is not 100% original! Check out the lion on the reverse and magnify the image. Note the patch on the top of his thigh. Now, slowly move up his body and you'll notice that there is a sharp line where the cream color on the thigh (around the patch) disappears. There also appears to be a faint "halo" effect around the letters. The color on the large image above shows us a beautiful coin. I'd leave it in the slab for protection until you are ready to sell it. Where the graders too hard in your case?

• Options

@ColonelJessup said:

Try this on for size.
    I helped JA start NGC.
    I was its first grader.
    He personally asked me to be on the PNG Coin Doctoring Definition committee. He and I talk often about this topic. He knows I can doctor coins and am artful and skillful. And truthful. This is not my lawn, it's my turf. My professional turf, and I've made hundreds of thousands of dollars on my conservation skills. For myself and others. And the industry knows and respects that. Good, bad, ethical, heinous, it is what it is, and I know. I am by no means unique in this regard.
    I taught this stuff at ANA Summer Seminar.
    So it is my turf.

Well Doc, looks like you ain't get'n no respect around here. :)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2019 7:37PM

Here's the TrueView for the SP65 1947 Canada specimen half dollar posted above for reference.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

I'm going to side with the guys at PCGS** who actually saw the coin in hand**. Based on the images you posted, I deleted the useless one, the coin is not 100% original! Check out the lion on the reverse and magnify the image. Note the patch on the top of his thigh. Now, slowly move up his body and you'll notice that there is a sharp line where the cream color on the thigh (around the patch) disappears. There also appears to be a faint "halo" effect around the letters. The color on the large image above shows us a beautiful coin. I'd leave it in the slab for protection until you are ready to sell it. Where the graders too hard in your case?

I have the coin in hand, Come and see it. Seriously. Remember - 29 ever straight graded at PCGS. Meh, the thighs. The highest points on a convex die. Who the heck knows. They're actually shiny, not black.

I'm surprised no one one has pointed out the third A in CANADA. The halo effect around the letters is because they're up against a freakin' mirror.

I've never seen a convex coin in hand before, and it's awesome.

Despite all my pushy banter, this is the culmination of a dream. I got the 1948 50 cent from my grandfather in 1972. I also got the 1948 and 1947ML dollars. Both are UNC and mirrors. Once I looked up the 1948 1$, I was hooked. In round-robin trading with siblings and cousins, I got the rest of the 1947 ML except the halves. I've since acquired a straight-7 ML half, 1948 quarter and dime. It's been a long journey since 1972, but I believe I have now completed all the recognized silver coins minted in Canada in 1948. I think I'll just crack it out and put it next to grandpa's coins in a 2x2.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, very impressive...

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:

@djm said:
    Looking at the TV the coin should have graded 92B. Cleaned with Brillo.

That's the gut reaction. Have you looked further? Nearly every straight-graded example of these has "hairlines" crossing this way and that. Not looking for GTG here. I'm interested in the particulars of the 92 designation and others' experiences resubmitting them.

Hairlines or die polish?

thefinn
  • Options

@kbbpll said:

@Insider2 said:

I'm going to side with the guys at PCGS** who actually saw the coin in hand**. Based on the images you posted, I deleted the useless one, the coin is not 100% original! Check out the lion on the reverse and magnify the image. Note the patch on the top of his thigh. Now, slowly move up his body and you'll notice that there is a sharp line where the cream color on the thigh (around the patch) disappears. There also appears to be a faint "halo" effect around the letters. The color on the large image above shows us a beautiful coin. I'd leave it in the slab for protection until you are ready to sell it. Where the graders too hard in your case?

I have the coin in hand, Come and see it. Seriously. Remember - 29 ever straight graded at PCGS. Meh, the thighs. The highest points on a convex die. Who the heck knows. They're actually shiny, not black.

I'm surprised no one one has pointed out the third A in CANADA. The halo effect around the letters is because they're up against a freakin' mirror.

I've never seen a convex coin in hand before, and it's awesome.

Despite all my pushy banter, this is the culmination of a dream. I got the 1948 50 cent from my grandfather in 1972. I also got the 1948 and 1947ML dollars. Both are UNC and mirrors. Once I looked up the 1948 1$, I was hooked. In round-robin trading with siblings and cousins, I got the rest of the 1947 ML except the halves. I've since acquired a straight-7 ML half, 1948 quarter and dime. It's been a long journey since 1972, but I believe I have now completed all the recognized silver coins minted in Canada in 1948. I think I'll just crack it out and put it next to grandpa's coins in a 2x2.

Of couse they are shiny, that's the "rub." They just appear black in the image I used. As I said above, it is a beautiful coin. There is more than one grading service to get a second opinion.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

LoL, it's neither the finest known, nor is it ruined. It nets in the low 60s imo from what we can see from the pics. Would like to see it in hand, if it mattered to me in the slightest. As an academic exercise, it's been fun, but how anyone can say more without having it in front of them or caring about it as a buyer or seller?

Sounds like it's in strong hands, and where it belongs. Namaste.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2019 7:05AM

@Ronyahski said:
    ...gold that has been Jewelustered to look like a Cheestos Cheese Puff won't be in my collection.

I have one and I was wondering what "jewelustered" is
    What sort of evidence does it leave?

This is the coin and the fluorescent orange is only where there has been friction like on the knee.
    Elsewhere it really just looks bright and not that orange.
    Also...The TrueView does not begin to indicate how bright the orange color is.

Other bright orange areas are parts of the coin edge, wing's leading edge & her chest.
    Also the "0" in 1910 & belly of eagle.

Bigger image (BTW MS65)
    https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/34632921_Medium.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file