Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

More than just printing error or devalued accident?

NatsageekNatsageek Posts: 6
edited September 1, 2019 1:53AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My fiance and I inherited a lot of Baseball cards from various time periods, teams, players, condition etc. Unsure on how to go about value placement, grading, or condition scoring and where to even begin to determine whose site was giving true feedback compared to one that simply wanted the card for it's hidden (to us) value we both have become frazzled beyond frizzed. So I have two questions that I can't seem to find resolution that seems to make any sense ...

1. Why does every site offer a different value? The site will show the exact card, in the exact condition yet vary drastically in value.
  2. When you have a card that has been printed incorrectly or with some sort of printing error, how do you know if there is a value and where do you go to determine that value? I have one that is far more than just a misspelled word or incorrect placement and I have been unable to find anything out about this anywhere.

Can someone plz help me with either of these two dilemas before I lose my mind and make a potentially costly mistake and just throw them all away.

Thanks in advance ...

Frustrated Baseball Babe

Kids these days want a trophy for last place. When did entitlement become a requirement?

Best Answers

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

The card you are showing is just a factory miscut. There are some collectors of that kind of stuff but there really isn't any premium. Quality control in the 1980's was also horrible so a lot of miscuts found their way into packs and sets. I would be willing to bet that most people trash commons from the 80's and after that are miscut. I know they burn well in my firepit! k

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

Sorry, I skipped past your first question. Different sellers will ask different prices for virtually the same cards. There are some sellers that are 2-3 times what a card actually sells for and they sit on their stuff for years. Best way to determine what your stuff is worth is to look at completed Ebay listings. Most of your stuff in the 80's isn't going to be worth much of anything unless they are star cards in high grade. You can also post pics of what you have here and the board members will give you honest evaluations if you have anything of value.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

Star players can sometimes command small premiums, but typically we're talking a couple of bucks at most. I collect Frank Thomas miscuts and printing errors, if you run across any Thomas.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

So to answer the question from earlier, yes, just post them in this thread and you will get responses here. As far as what year a card is from, we would have to see it but it is possible. Miscuts have troubled card makers for decades. Lol, most board members have no issue helping out and answering questions and you even find someone who is interested in what you have at a fair price. Only time folks get a little pissy is when someone comes on, gets good answers to their questions from multiple members and decides they don't want to believe them. Lol, that can make for interesting reading!! Thing is, if you post here in an open forum, folks will be honest with you if you have garbage or if you have something good. If you have something of value and one person is trying to screw you over to get it cheap, there will be 5 other people to call them out.

Answers

• Options
    NatsageekNatsageek Posts: 6
    edited September 1, 2019 1:09PM

Thank you @PROMETHIUS88 that actually helps out more than you know! Because I have A LOT of these cards I thought maybe I would take some of the ones that online say they are of value and get a second and solid opinion. This way I won't post more than 25. I have some that have pieces of the players actual jersey they wore as well. However they are early 90s I believe.

Thank you again.

Do I post them here in my thread or elsewhere?

Kids these days want a trophy for last place. When did entitlement become a requirement?

• Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Ebay completed sold items is the best place to start as mentioned above. Some people quote an ebay price as what a "card goes for", but I always ignore that, it does not matter what someone is offering a card for, all that matters is what a card actually sold for.

• Options

I found 3 that have no printing date and the last year they played was 1963, does that mean the card was printed around the same time since there is no print date and it looks different from the way the Topps cards look now? I'll post them for reference.

I apologise for asking so many questions .. we just inherited a lot of memorabilia of various items I. E. Signed pictures, posters etc and am overwhelmed bc we really have no need for them but wonder if they have any value to anyone.

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I call dudeknee !