Home Q & A Forum

1991 no copper layer major errors on obverse and reverse

I’ve a 1991 Lincoln memorial penny. The penny doesn’t have the copper layer, plus there is a major error on the reverse and obverse. I can’t seem to find any known varieties. Can anyone help me and I should send it to get graded. Thank you

layer, plus there is![](https://us.v-![](https://us.v-
.net/6027503/uploads/editor/ri/ytyenbmhh1tc.jpeg "")

.net/6027503/uploads/editor/rg/zt9dfk2wn4p0.jpeg "")

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2019 8:07AM

Color pictures would be helpful.

Otherwise, it looks like a badly corroded cent.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post mint damage (PMD) The copper layer has been removed.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but it's not an error. The copper plating was chemically removed after it left the mint. It's not struck on an unplated planchet. Just some "Gee Mr. Wizard" fun with chemistry.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun with liquid plumber! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @ChengHang1a.

Spend it before it corrodes away. Without the copper coating the zinc will just react/rot away.

Worth 1 cent and value decreasing.

Also the use of B&W pics to hide or enhance features should not be done. The usual standard in focus color pics are preferred.

• I’m > @Hemispherical said:

Spend it before it corrodes away. Without the copper coating the zinc will just react/rot away.

Also the use of B&W pics to hide or enhance features should not be done. The usual standard in focus color pics are preferred.

I’m sorry for the picture misunderstanding. The pictures I took of the 1991 penny wasn’t altered any type of way. The pictures I posted here are the originals. No B&W filter was utilized. The colors seen here are the color of the penny. I’ve watched a video from BlueRidge on how to know the difference from an acid chemistry lab copper un-plating removal between a genuine mint error un-platted. With the chemical removal the quality/definition of the penny will diminish considerably. The genuine mint error in-platted penny will have all its features and define edges reverse and obverse. Plus the wordings on the penny is a odd Type of Double Die. Thank out for your response, but I’m not leaning towards it being chemically ruined. I can send the pics to anyone via email. The color of the penny and errors on the penny wasn’t enhanced or altered in any kind of way. I’m new to numismatic so I really need help on this one. It has to be more to the penny. It still has all the memorial building steps no wears on the year, Liberty, In God We Trust, United States Of America or One Cent all the define features are still there. Thanks

What’s the weight, diameter, and please show an edge pic.

Suspect it might be cast.

No idea why one would take the time to cast a 1991 cent but science experiments do happen.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2019 11:59AM

Be careful what you believe on the YouTube videos. Many are filled with incorrect info and misinformation.

The key characteristic in determining whether the cent was struck on an unplated planchet is the presence of mint luster. A coin that had the copper chemically removed after it left the mint will have a dull appearance. This information has been posted on numismatic forums by some of the foremost experts on error coins. There also appears to have some corrosion on both sides, which could also be caused be the chemicals. Your coin does not look like it left the mint in that condition. If you still believe the BlueRidge youtube guy is correct, then you can send your coin to PCGS or other TPG to have it authenticated. IMO, it will be a waste of money, but that‘s your choice

Member of the ANA since 1982

@ChengHang1a

If you do send it end for authentication and grading please let us know the results.

Good luck.

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChengHang1a said:

I’m sorry for the picture misunderstanding. The pictures I took of the 1991 penny wasn’t altered any type of way. The pictures I posted here are the originals. No B&W filter was utilized. The colors seen here are the color of the penny. I’ve watched a video from BlueRidge on how to know the difference from an acid chemistry lab copper un-plating removal between a genuine mint error un-platted. With the chemical removal the quality/definition of the penny will diminish considerably. The genuine mint error in-platted penny will have all its features and define edges reverse and obverse. Plus the wordings on the penny is a odd Type of Double Die. Thank out for your response, but I’m not leaning towards it being chemically ruined.

Hello and welcome @ChengHang1a. Please understand that our members are some of the finest collectors, dealer, researchers and experts within the coin industry /hobby. We will always welcome a new collector to join us. However if one insists our welcoming committee are wrong, please send the coin to our host for authentication. ;)

• loro1rojoloro1rojo Posts: 266 ✭✭✭

@ChengHang1a said:
    I’m > @Hemispherical said:

I’m sorry for the picture misunderstanding. The pictures I took of the 1991 penny wasn’t altered any type of way. The pictures I posted here are the originals. No B&W filter was utilized. The colors seen here are the color of the penny. I’ve watched a video from BlueRidge on how to know the difference from an acid chemistry lab copper un-plating removal between a genuine mint error un-platted. With the chemical removal the quality/definition of the penny will diminish considerably. The genuine mint error in-platted penny will have all its features and define edges reverse and obverse. Plus the wordings on the penny is a odd Type of Double Die. Thank out for your response, but I’m not leaning towards it being chemically ruined. I can send the pics to anyone via email. The color of the penny and errors on the penny wasn’t enhanced or altered in any kind of way. I’m new to numismatic so I really need help on this one. It has to be more to the penny. It still has all the memorial building steps no wears on the year, Liberty, In God We Trust, United States Of America or One Cent all the define features are still there. Thanks

It's not a "double" die nor is it an error coin.

-Gabe
  • I’m sorry for the picture misunderstanding. The pictures I took of the 1991 penny wasn’t altered any type of way. The pictures I posted here are the originals. No B&W filter was utilized. The colors seen here are the color of the penny. I’ve watched a video from BlueRidge on how to know the difference from an acid chemistry lab copper un-plating removal between a genuine mint error un-platted. With the chemical removal the quality/definition of the penny will diminish considerably. The genuine mint error in-platted penny will have all its features and define edges reverse and obverse. Plus the wordings on the penny is a odd Type of Double Die. Thank out for your response, but I’m not leaning towards it being chemically ruined. I can send the pics to anyone via email. The color of the penny and errors on the penny wasn’t enhanced or altered in any kind of way. I’m new to numismatic so I really need help on this one. It has to be more to the penny. It still has all the memorial building steps no wears on the year, Liberty, In God We Trust, United States Of America or One Cent all the define features are still there. Thanks

It's not a "double" die nor is it an error coin.
    >
    @loro1rojo: Thank you for your answer to the post. I’ve no idea what I have. I’m a beginner to coin collecting/numismatic. You’d said it’s neither “double die” or an error coin. If you will, can you Please let me know what it is I have. Any info is appreciated.

My sincere apology’s for coming off /being complicated. Sorry, if I’d offended some with the little knowledge I have by replying back. I do it so I can get a better understanding.
    Thank you.