Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Got this in China 90,s as a missionary. Any thoughts? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any markings, numbers, fractions, symbols on the rev? How bout some dimensions, weight. Thank you. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I’ll post pictures after some coffee & honey dos

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

A "trinket" to sell to tourists. Nevertheless, you'll be able to sell it for a profit to many dealers and collectors who appreciate stuff like this. Just to give you an idea of what it is worth (I don't want to buy it); if it came into my store, I'd offer you $20 because I collect counterfeits. Let's see what other members would offer.

• Options

Found this today , any thoughts.....?

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    A "trinket" to sell to tourists. Nevertheless, you'll be able to sell it for a profit to many dealers and collectors who appreciate stuff like this. Just to give you an idea of what it is worth (I don't want to buy it); if it came into my store, I'd offer you $20 because I collect counterfeits. Let's see what other members would offer.

I have not forgotten you , I have to find it, my wife has an itch to rearrange the entire house all of a sudden

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

My gut says that it's supposed to look like silver bullion, stamped with the die of the Yuan Shi Kai (L&M 942 / Y-332 Hung Hsien) of 1916 in order to lend credibility and age to the piece.

I would wager it is neither old nor silver. Made optimistically as a tourist trinket, pessimistically in order to deceive.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

Before silver coins were made they used silver ‘trinkets’ as you call them. You can google it.

• Options

The serpent had legs yet was cursed to crawl the earth forever stomped by the heal of man. The devil is always in every detail. Including taking away the ability of another beings legs and arms..

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

$20 with free shipping. Your serpents apparently live in China.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame