Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What working a Coin Shop retail counter teaches me.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a nutshell, that contrary to popular belief, the Customer is not always right. as a matter of fact, in addition to mostly being wrong they tend to be ignorant and quite often boorish. Just from today and eligible for TD's "Why Coin Dealers Drink" thread:

--- the almost routine scenario where a customer starts out about "1943 pennies were supposed to be made out of steel but some got made out of copper, blah, blah, blah." I listen attentively and then she shows me a VG/F 1944-D and asks what we would pay for it. when I told her two-and-a-half cents she smirked, told me I was wrong, that Google says they're worth WAY more than that, smiled and turned to leave. Wow!!!

--- a regular asks to look at an item in the store and then laughs and says they aren't worth that much and buys something else similar. for some reason, people seem to enjoy playing Consumer Advocate in the store, they know exactly how much everything is worth.

--- I find cell phones to be particularly annoying in a retail setting. customers expect a transaction to stop while they answer a call or try to enter into a transaction while talking on their phone. very annoying, so we have a large sign on the entrance door at eye level that clearly says NO CELL PHONES in clear lettering. people just refuse to adhere to that request. so a guy is in the store walking around and talking, approaches me and, while talking on the phone, starts asking me a question. I told him that he should finish his call outside and then I'd be happy to assist him. I got MF'd as he walked out vowing to never return.

Nice!! I understand why some animals eat their young.

Al H. B)

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure what it is, but we are seeing it more on this forum with folks coming on rude, demanding answers and confirmation of a coin they know nothing about. Over on Ebay I am seeing more and more outlandish starting bids for very common circulation cents - like $500 - $1000 or absolutely mis attributed varieties. Now I was told some of these folks are scammers for trying to rip accounts. But unfortunately on the "report this to Ebay" there is no description to choose from like rip off or jerk to choose from. Could it simply be the wave of scandal media continues to spread coin stories no one bothers to understand.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

my feeling is that it is a combination of things. call it bad or good, but whenever there is some type of Hobby related "discovery" it gets reported in the news media somewhere by people who aren't very well educated about things and apparently do only scant research for a story. follow that with inherent greed by the ignorant populace and the race to the bottom has begun. it seems that every internet search yields the highest expected value of any item searched for.

what I find entertaining is that folks come into a shop for advice armed with a lifetime of ignorance and 10 minutes of internet education. today's example was gone so fast, either because she was embarrassed or sure that she knew more than me, that I never had a chance to help her and show her dozens of what she thought was valuable, some Unc 1944-D Lincolns that look like they were mad yesterday.

we get about 2-3 coin find customers a week, most will entertain what I tell them and leave knowing something. not so this woman.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 1:44PM

There are numerous on-line posts and videos, which claim that relatively common coins - many of them with very minor errors - are worth hundreds or even many thousands of dollars. Additionally, there are a lot of dreamers (with dollar signs in their eyes) who are desperate to hit the rare/valuable coin lotto. As a result, they have an extremely difficult time accepting reality.

If there are aliens on another planet, observing all of the inquiries I receive, they could easily think that there are far more “error” coins than non error coins in existence.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

There seem to be so many instant experts these days, and they don't know how to accept the fact that they are frequently wrong. I see this quite often in my medical office.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t work in the coin business but I am a technician. I can’t tell you how many times people come to me with a problem with their equipment that have goggles it or tried to fix it with YouTube videos. I listen, tell them that’s not the problem and after 22 years of experience told I’m wrong. It amazes me the level of stupidity. I imagine it’s the same when someone with a 3 cents worth of coins tells an experienced dealer their wrong too. I’m a grouchy old man and my answer is always the same, “Seems you know more than me can’t understand why you’re asking my advice.” Or if the YouTube guys was so good he should be doing it for a living.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember as a kid they had kids shows on proper phone edicts you know the old rotary dinosaur 🦕 I believe we need a new public awareness on technology edict how annoying it is for someone to pull a phone out in a nice restaurant and start taking photos of the food with a flash?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 3:02PM

Hmmmm….No Cell Phone rule in a coin shop? Are ya'll so busy that people are stacked up waiting to pay? I think if I saw that signI would turn around before I entered the store!

:) I get it though! You guys don't want customers checking ebay, auction records and the like! :#

I will agree people should have better cell phone manners.

Went out to dinner a few years ago with a good dealer friend who had wanna be girl dealer sharing a spot on his table at a nice restaurant. I think out of the 2 hours we were there she was only off her phone 10 minutes....most of which was spent stuffing her face. :o Yeap...never went to dinner with her along again!

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

We live in a Google society that empowers many people to think they are experts in all facets of life. Reading a book or talking to a knowledgeable source is tried and true but sadly less likely to occur in todays frenetic times.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options

Trying to teach them manners or run a profitable business? Customer service isn’t about correcting customers shortcomings or taking offense.

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same thing happens in the law business, for me in real property law.

Clients, opposing parties, opposing attorneys, judges and others that do not have years and decades of experience in the area of real property law often make statements (or worse court rulings) that demonstrate that they do not know what they are talking about.

If you disagree with them, you are the problem and you do not know what you are talking about.

When reality comes crashing down around them and the outcome of the legal dispute that they are in is not to their liking, most do not like it when I point out that my previous opinion and advice to the contrary turned out to be spot on.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, when I visit your shop keets; I wouldn't be talking to someone on my cell...I'd be cross referencing data I have on my phone. No prob. with that?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@windwhispersintrees said:
    Trying to teach them manners or run a profitable business? Customer service isn’t about correcting customers shortcomings or taking offense.

THIS!

You have every right to exert your privilege as the shop owner. On the other hand, don't be surprised if you lose a few customers in the process.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 5:44PM

Imagine how physicians feel today.
    Pt says “I know what my diagnosis is and this is the medication I need.
    And oh, I got to take a call...”
    I understand your frustration, Keets.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yesterday a man came in with a beat up XF 1971 Great Britain 2 new pence to submit. I told him he should save his money and buy more coins as his coin was probably worth less than 50c.

Then he shows me a photo of the coin on his cellphone listed for almost $5000. I said wow, I must be mistaken, let me check my World coin catalog. It was not listed! So now, I'm wondering what 's going on. I went upstairs again and logged on to the Internet. Sure enough, many were listed for thousands of dollars. Then I pulled out a specialized book on English coins and his coin was listed for practically nothing. I found confirmation on the Internet that a big misunderstanding has been going on about the new pence coins. Only one date is the rare variety and it is not the 1971 or the 1980 he pulled out too. This really had me going for about ten minutes. LOL.

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

try working in healthcare when you are having important conversation about diagnosis, management, prognosis.... and the family is more interested in the cellular device....

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

I work in retail also, phones are irritating but it's not just the customers using them, some of them employees can't keep off em too. And if they're not using one, they're trying to charge one.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 5:51PM

Apparently it is the 1983 NEW PENCE that is the rare variety.
    Normal is 1971-1981 NEW PENCE and 1982-now TWO PENCE.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/8196738/rare-2p-coins-revealed-worth-100-pocket/
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces11055.html

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    What about bringing in a cell phone and calling other shops to see if they can beat your price?

:s

I had kicked out plenty of comp shoppers from Costco etc. They came in to chat on the phone and record my price tags while walking down the aisles. Some of my friends said I should feel honor since they considered me as a threat. :s

• Options

driving home tonight I actually saw a guy cutting his grass with a push-mower while holding his cell phone up to look at something. it's insanity.

aside to everyone who thinks I'm the owner, you surmise way too much. as Sanction might say, facts not in evidence. :p

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    I remember as a kid they had kids shows on proper phone edicts you know the old rotary dinosaur 🦕 I believe we need a new public awareness on technology edict how annoying it is for someone to pull a phone out in a nice restaurant and start taking photos of the food with a flash?

Edicate?

thefinn
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

My experiences in a coin shop have taught me to keep my thoughts to myself outside of it, since I never know who's lurking and creeping around here. Safe & sound(less).

• Options

that's how I used to think.

I first started to help my boss for free at Coin Shows. it was a good way to attend more shows, see how the business really works and become a better collector/customer by seeing the perspective of things from the other side of the counter. that worked itself into an eventual full-time position and now in retirement just a few days each week.

I will only say that working the retail counter hour after hour, day after day and year after year would give any collector a view they didn't know existed, no matter how old and experienced they might be. go reread some of CaptHenway's threads about why dealers drink.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are friends in numismatics, and then there are strangers in the coin world. The latter are the ones who just haven't made friends, yet.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:

@keets said:
    --- the almost routine scenario where a customer starts out about "1943 pennies were supposed to be made out of steel but some got made out of copper, blah, blah, blah." I listen attentively and then she shows me a VG/F 1944-D and asks what we would pay for it. when I told her two-and-a-half cents she smirked, told me I was wrong, that Google says they're worth WAY more than that, smiled and turned to leave. Wow!!!

Many years ago, well before the Internet, while working in a shop I would have the same customers. Buffalo nickels, silver dollars, wheat cents, you name it ... always rare and worth way more than what we would offer. I stopped telling people what we paid for them and instead told the price for which we sold them. That generally stopped their 'knowledge dump' about their coins and how awful we were being.

And when they 'called my bluff,' I would offer them their choice from the buckets of these common pieces we had in the shop. This usually changed the 'you are trying to cheat me' approach to a 'why are they so cheap' line of questions. Sometimes those non-numismatic folks even became regular collectors.

That is a great response. Thanks for sharing.

• Options

Cameras and watches are dying. we can find customers for better brand name cameras and high end watches, the other stuff we just won't buy or even do a loan on.

it is a benefit of having a cell phone, it is perhaps the most revolutionary thing to come along since its predecessor, the normal phone. I personally feel that people are still getting accustomed to how much power the little devices have.

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, you have to specialize in it really. We're the only store around here that handles film cameras at all so people know we're the shop to go to if you want one.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file