Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why is this Rivera debut ticket stub going for so much?

Comments

• Options

It is his MLB debut.

• Options
    pauldrolkeespauldrolkees Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

@FootballHOFCollector said:
    It is his MLB debut.

I get that but most debut ticket even HOFers aren't nearly this level, let alone a stub not a full ticket

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure, but the only thing I can figure is he is the greatest closer in history, he was a Yankee, and it's his debut. Collectors just can't get enough of the Sandman. Now that I've put in my 2 cents, I'm off to never never land. ;)

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 12:55PM

I know of collectors that are trying to get every ticket stub of all his saves e.g. Quite a task for sure.

And, I'm sure they're willing to "pay" for it?

Mike
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    I know of collectors that are trying to get every ticket stub of all his saves e.g. Quite a task for sure.

And, I'm sure they're willing to "pay" for it?

THAT would be a heck of a project.

• Options

According to Baseball Reference online, the attendance for this game was only 14,952, quite low for a baseball game. Also, I didn't see any in the PSA pop report, either. So, while I don't know whether this ticket is ACTUALLY scarce or just has PERCEIVED scarcity at the moment, it is certainly extremely desirable and it's probably very difficult to locate. As such, it's very difficult to determine what the "correct" price should be, given that the underbidder here may never get a chance to buy another.

That said, given the low attendance at the game, you just know there's some former season ticket holder in California who has his 4 unused consecutive tickets from this game (and others...) sitting in his basement somewhere and he has no idea that they're worth anything! That's the guy you need to find!

• Options

Ok, since I just remembered that most homes in California don't have basements, let's go with the unused tickets sitting in the former season ticket holder's "attic," instead...

• Options
    pauldrolkeespauldrolkees Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 1:28PM

no biggie it's only sold for $6100 for a stub ..haha it's just crazy considering a FULL unused ticket for Kershaw debut PSA graded sold for around $500. Greg Maddux psa 10 debut FULL ticket sold for maybe $1-2K. Maybe I am just shocked by the power of Yankee fans

• Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Time to start checking all my Angels ticket stubs.

• Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Is there Website that you can look up a game to see if there was any historical event that happened? I literally have thousands of ticket stubs.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Royals' 81 game season ticket holder, we used to get the really nice pre-printed tickets on the decorative stock with graphics of various action shots of players or photos of the stadium, etc. Then, 4 or 5 years ago, they went to digital ticketing, but still gave you the option to pay an extra $100 per seat on the ticket plan to receive the decorative hard copy tickets. I believe 3 years ago, they took away even that option, and went completely digital for season tickets. The only physical tickets, as far as I know, are now day-of-game purchases from the stadium box office, and those are just bland looking no frills date/opponent/time/seat number. Very boring looking collectible.

You can also print your tickets at home, but it's just a piece of paper. Ticket stubs aren't a big part of my memorabilia collection, but I do have a few. I feel something has definitely been lost with the smart phone/digital ticketing, and have made it known in every season ticket member survey that I've participated in. Unfortunately, I don't think we're ever going back to the physical tickets on the decorative stock, especially with the emphasis on "going green". 30 years from now when people are looking for a ticket corresponding to Vlad Jr.'s MLB debut, or any other memorable event, say Mike Trout becoming the all time leader in (pick your category), all they'll find is an 8x11 piece of paper printed in black ink. Sad.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

That Rivera stub would look nice signed.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ticket. Doesn't look like shilling to me.

It only takes two whales who "have to have it", and "money is no object" to get a nice result on an auction.