Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I Did Not Know This-FYI

ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I was under the assumption the the ebay buyer guarantee meant you could return an item even if the seller "does not accept returns". This is not the case.That guarantee means nothing. I tried to return an item and after 2 days the seller refused the return and closed the case I didn't even know sellers could do this. I called ebay and was basically told there was nothing I could do except leave negative feedback. I guess the moral of the story is if a seller does not accept returns, do not buy from them. I will be more careful from now. My item was not expensive($25), so it's no big deal but just wanted to pass this along for anyone buying something expensive to be careful.

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never been denied a return no matter the $ amount or what the seller advertised as a no return policy. Something isn’t right about this??

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 4:06PM

What did you use as your reason for returning?

ETA: I've never heard of a return being denied for SNAD.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    What did you use as your reason for returning?

ETA: I've never heard of a return being denied for SNAD.

I haven't either. I always look at the "no return policy" as a joke, because I've never had an issue returning an item.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

I'm curious what the reason was for your return. Some sellers consider "buyers remorse" something they won't do. I usually have no returns with my listings but will usually do a return anyway.....unless the buyer is not being cool. Then I tell them to refer to the no returns in my listing. That goes over well. It's good to read the whole listing before bidding.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

It’s because you’re confusing returns with SNAD.

The former sellers can deny. The latter they cannot. Both accomplish the same thing from the buyer’s perspective.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 2:59AM

I noticed over the last few years its become harder for buyers to return items. But sometimes thats a good thing because of the bad buyers abusing the ebay money back guarantee.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to be extremely careful of how you word your messages while asking for a return. Ebay looks at the messages between both parties and a lot of times the decisions are based on that.

• Options

I once bought a card with a deep large scratch across it. When I requested a return the buyer asked me to send pics of the scratch. I sent him pics of the card in the top loader that he had sent it in but then also took it out so that I could actually get a decent pic of the scratch that was not mentioned in the listing. The seller refused the return and in messages stated that I must've caused the scratch when I pulled it out of the toploader....which basically would've been impossible. I explained in detail to the seller how impossible it was but never heard back from him. Eventually I opened a case but the seller closed it himself. Ebay did side with him, because I took it out of the package that he had sent it in. It was one of the weirdest things I had ever heard....but I'll never take a damaged card out of a toploader again.

I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    gomezadams2gomezadams2 Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 7:50AM

Ive never had a problem with a return. I recently bought a tri-star chase box on eaby. Seller stated box had been open but packs were not. I sent a cheap offer and was accepted. Got it in the mail and ALL the packs were opened. Notified seller and immediately requested a return thru ebay. Seller wanted pics of opened packs but I told him it was too late as I had already boxed them up. He promptly refunded my money and told me to keep packs.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not had any problems with returns. If the seller states 'no returns', I usually just reach out to them and explain why I'm unhappy (it helps to start with 'thanks for the speedy delivery' or something along those lines) and they are willing to accept the return. Luckily, these instances are few and far between for me.

Daniel
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

SNAD as others have stated. It is the only way to go. You always have paypal to try next as they are like a 2nd go around for a refund in this case and have extended timing over ebay (6 months).

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

The degree of extended timing for returns is a frustrating concept for spec RC's and other similar young players. Seems like you can grab them up when they are on the rise and then if the season doesn't go well, return them six months later. For a seller, sort of disappointing if a hypothetical hot RC sells for say $100 or something early into the hype and then goes down to $5 by season's end and the buyer would theoretically have the right to return it within the window, during which time a different buyer who would not have abused the return system may have payed a much higher price before the card had devalued.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "no return policy" has never prevented me from prevailing quickly in a situation where I needed to return the item. I've never had any issues on returns at all. Zero.

I've returned perhaps, at most, 15-20 items in the last 7-8 years, so I don't feel like I do it frequently or for illegitimate reasons. Having said that, it is my understanding that as an eBay concierge service member, I actually get up to 5 free returns per quarter, regardless, for any reason, whether simply a change of heart, buyer's remorse, or even if it's just because I don't like the penmanship of the seller, or the color of ink that they used, when writing "Thank You!" on the copy of the invoice that they included inside the box. I have not ever used the concierge service for the purpose of returns, though, only for complete refunds when a seller failed/refused to ship the item purchased. It's always been a quick process with live chat, and I believe every time, on top of receiving the refund, I've been given an eBay coupon code for various dollar amounts as extra compensation for my troubles.

• Options

I have returned very few items and this is the first time I have had a return denied. Like I said I didn't even know a buyer could do that. I did leave negative feedback for the first time in 10 years.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont leave negative feedback for something such as this. The terms are stated and as you admitted you diden't read. Not picking on you but leaving negatives for someone following a set policy is wrong in my opinion. You should think about that. It also can come back to hitting you back with a bad review. Why bother for 25.00. Many have scammed folks on ebay especially in the bullion arena. I think you should reconsider and get past the idea of negative reviews. I would just not buy from them if you really are upset with the issue. I hope you take these words as just being honest.

Have a safe weekend.

I would take it back if you asked me on my account but really think what your doing here.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@Kkathyl said:
    I dont leave negative feedback for something such as this. The terms are stated and as you admitted you diden't read. Not picking on you but leaving negatives for someone following a set policy is wrong in my opinion. You should think about that. It also can come back to hitting you back with a bad review. Why bother for 25.00. Many have scammed folks on ebay especially in the bullion arena. I think you should reconsider and get past the idea of negative reviews. I would just not buy from them if you really are upset with the issue. I hope you take these words as just being honest.

Have a safe weekend.

I would take it back if you asked me on my account but really think what your doing here.

As stated by many members, the "no return" policy doesn't mean anything. It's just empty words as far as eBay is concerned.

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

ElvisP what was your reason for wanting to return the item and what reason did you give eBay/PayPal when you started the attempted return????

• Options

It was in bad condition. I probably should not have left negative feedback but they took a week to ship it and never responded to my return request so I guess I was just upset. Like others have stated I was going on the "no returns" as not meaning anything. I found out differently. Like I said it's the first negative feedback iI have left in at least 10 years so it's not like I do it all the time. There was another similar negative feedback. No response from seller etc.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen that Beauty and the Beast doll on Ebay that looks like Justin Bieber? Creepy stuff. I Ran into it yesterday looking for a gift for my wife's niece.

• Options

I believe everyone that is on the side of "no returns means nothing" is trying to tiptoe around victim blaming, as no one really wants to kick someone when they're down, but there just seems to be key pieces of information missing in your description of the incident. There's a reason eBay closed your case.

As others have said, eBay isn't normally even the last word if you have a legitimate case for a dispute. You can still take it up with PayPal, or dispute the charge with your credit card company. If you feel you still have a case and it's worth your time, then certainly look into that. I have no doubt that if I needed a refund/return that I would be able to maneuver to get it, through eBay or otherwise. "No returns" is nothing but a fly to swat away.

On top of that, you have been scolded for leaving negative feedback, which I find silly. If the item was not received in good condition, or packaged poorly, or shipped excessively slow, and they've refused to work with you to resolve the issue, then I don't see any reason at all why you should feel badly about giving them a negative.

Good luck with whatever steps you take next.

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

I agree leave negative feedback in a case like this to warn others and look at other options to open up a claim for item not as described.