Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone have any info on a 1909 AYPE Dog Eaters Token?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 29, 2019 5:02AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well so much for Dog Appreciation Day as here's a token I haven't seen before :o:#

Curious if anyone has any info beyond the eBay description as I'm not even sure which book to grab for this?

Wondering how may had been struck and in what metal types?

Description Below:

Up for consideration is a 1909 Igorrote Souvenir of the Dog Eater token certified by NGC as Mint State 62 Brown.
This token was sold at the 1909 Alaskan Yukon-Pacific Exposition held in Seattle, Washington as a memento of the Igorrote village that was a main attraction at the fair. 50 members of the "Dog eating, head hunting, wild people" lived in view of visitors from June to October of 1909. Honeycutt-1220 Diameter: 25mm Rare An excellent addition to any Philippines related medal or token collection.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL on that token. Better not let PETA see it!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 8:17AM

I don't know anything about it, but the price tag seems high. Most (not all) of the expo tokens aren't THAT rare or that heavily collected.

Edited to add: But I can't find a record of another one.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a piece of aftermarket collectable novelty junk. ;):D

Great token. And a good reminder that what can sometimes be dismissed as junk can take on interest and value years later.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 8:36AM

Very interesting!

It's 25mm so I can see it getting more popular if it was listed in an exposition So-Called Quarter book, but absent that, it seems more like a novelty at that price.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I don't know anything about it, but the price tag seems high. Most (not all) of the expo tokens aren't THAT rare or that heavily collected.

Edited to add: But I can't find a record of another one.

Yeah price is high as the only non SC$1 expo token/medal that I've ever seen come close to 4 figures in UNC is this one below which is a play on words.

1901 Pan American Exposition, Buffalo, New York, Electric Tower & Rooster Medal, 34mm Diameter Aluminum.

This is only the third example of this very rare naughty medal I've ever seen with the reverse "Presented For Having The Largest Rooster" This medals reverse was used later in 1901 on a even rarer to locate challenge coin for going over the Niagara Fall. The obverse showed Niagara Falls and a barrel to emulate Annie Taylor the first person to take the plunge. The example here is in lower circulated grade and was most likely carried as a pocket piece for fun to boast.

• Options

At 34mm, the Rooster token seems like a So-Called Dollar so it would be good to get it cataloged.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    At 34mm, the Rooster token seems like a So-Called Dollar so it would be good to get it cataloged.

To me a So-Called Dollar should be 38mm in diameter just as a Real-Called Silver Dollar.

• Options

@Broadstruck said:

@Zoins said:

To me a So-Called Dollar should be 38mm in diameter just as a Real-Called Silver Dollar.

Yes, but that's not how it's defined.

Just trying to get more interest in it :)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

A rooster and a cock are the same thing! >:)

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    A rooster and a cock are the same thing! >:)

You are smarter than the average bear ;)

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as the OP goes, Honeycutt does not add anything to the description/explanation. It catalogs at $55 (mid-range)) and would bring more than that consistently but the opening price is optimistic and the OBO better be at a significant discount for a quick sale. I didn't look in Basso but I didn't see a crossover # in Honeycutt.

The 1904 Louisiana Purchase Expo was responsible for the interest in the Philippines as there was a large exhibit with an entire village on the grounds in St. Louis with many souvenirs (and a scarce award medal variety) made for the P.I. exhibit.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    LOL on that token. Better not let PETA see it!

I do not think that stands for people eat tasty animals here

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've eaten dog in Nam. As a french bread sandwich with nuoc mam sauce. Pretty tasty with an ice cold Fresca. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file