Home Autographs Forum
Options

Auto question regarding Hank Aaron

RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello, I was curious if someone could tell me if I’m crazy or not. I picked up this 1964 Topps giant of Hank Aaron, and I’m considering having him sign it in a private signing for 350$, plus 20$ JSA, and then send it in for dual grading. What are your thoughts? 350$ too much? Would I get that value out of it? Any and all advice is appreciated. No, I don’t want to purchase one off EBay either 😊. I’m not looking to sell it right away, perhaps down the road to pay for college someday. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't know the answer to the question yourself then you have no business considering spending money on such a project.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not an expert but here are some random thoughts...

Is that a rare card? If so, will the sig detract from the value?

Why would you pay for JSA and then another service? Also, will JSA put one of those stupid stickers on it? (I hate those). If so, make sure it is on the back.

$350 seems pretty hefty for Hank Aaron, don't you think? What does his sig go for? But, I am sure that is the going rate for a private signing.

Is seems like you will be into this for well over $400. It has to be a labor of love as I don't see you making a profit in many, many years.

Some years ago, I paid Ted Williams through a private signing to autograph a photo that already had three other sigs on it. I felt I had to do it but I knew I might never get that money back. I still have the photo but I'd be surprised if I could get back my original investment.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    If you don't know the answer to the question yourself then you have no business considering spending money on such a project.

I don’t, thank you. I needed to read this to talk myself down from doing it!

@JBK
    350 is a huge stretch for me; and thank you for your insight; I’m not too concerned about making a “profit” per day, but I didn’t see myself breaking even either. I’m intrigued by it still, bc it would be fun to have something like this. The JSA I was gonna have for submitting to PSA, if for some reason it came back inconclusive. I dunno. Ima hold off for now, at least so I can research more. Thank you both! 😊

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:

@291fifth said:

I don’t, thank you. I needed to read this to talk myself down from doing it!

@JBK
    350 is a huge stretch for me; and thank you for your insight; I’m not too concerned about making a “profit” per day, but I didn’t see myself breaking even either. I’m intrigued by it still, bc it would be fun to have something like this. The JSA I was gonna have for submitting to PSA, if for some reason it came back inconclusive. I dunno. Ima hold off for now, at least so I can research more. Thank you both! 😊

There might well be times in your life when you shell out the big $ just because you really want to.

I want a nice Hank Aaron baseball but I doubt I'll buy one unless it is done in front of me or at a signing. Luckily I did buy an Aaron bat many years ago from a reputable source for about $125. I also got a legit sig (as well as a secretarial one on another occasion) on a postcard thru the mail many years ago. Hank Aaron definitely is one of the all-time greats.

I got my Ted Williams at a ridiculous private signing price only because I had a picture showing four players and it was already signed by the other three. I did not want someone cursing me years down the road because I did not get the biggest name on the photo when I had the chance.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the 70's when I was working for one of the auto companies I received an autographed Hank Aaron baseball from one of the sports magazines as a promotion item. I always wondered if he had actually signed it. I sold it for a few bucks, as is, some years later (but not recently). I probably should have kept it but the uncertainty regarding the signature killed my interest in it.

All glory is fleeting.