Home Sports Talk

yo stevek

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philly is rumored to be one of the chosen destination spots for Jadeveon Clowney. might not be a bad idea for you to use every ounce of clout you possess to aid in consummating that deal.

add that beast & keep Ginger Ail in one piece all season long and you should probably start saving your pennies for SB tickets

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2019 11:45AM

Miami is interested too and supposedly they're meeting with Clowney,Houston wants Miami's Offensive Tackle Tunsil for him. Let Philly have him.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clowney wants to play for the Cowboys. :)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clowney certainly won’t automatically give the 🦅 a playoff spot. And even if Mr.Ginger stays healthy it doesn’t mean he will be all that good. I say the Cowboys win that division IF Zeke is in uniform.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Miami is interested too and supposedly they're meeting with Clowney,Houston wants Miami's Offensive Tackle Tunsil for him. Let Philly have him.

wouldn't hold my breath on Tunsil being traded in a Clowney deal. would be an extremely risky move for the Fins. unless Clowney is ok with rotting in Miami for the rest of his prime, he'll be an expensive rent-a-player for an up-and-coming (and cheap) left tackle. don't see it happening.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Despite his talent, i'm not sure if Clowney is the "exact" type of player that Pederson wants on his team. Especially for the price. But I could be wrong.

Without question, Pederson goes by the Belichick model of the most important thing to building a winning NFL team is getting the right players, and the "right" players aren't necessarily the ones with the most talent on paper.

If it happens then it happens. We shall see. :)

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

wouldn't hold my breath on Tunsil being traded in a Clowney deal. would be an extremely risky move for the Fins. unless Clowney is ok with rotting in Miami for the rest of his prime, he'll be an expensive rent-a-player for an up-and-coming (and cheap) left tackle. don't see it happening.

Works for me. Can't go giving Brian Flores a talented DE like Clowney with Brady pushing 80 anyday now.

edited August 28, 2019 2:24PM

I’m utterly shocked Steve did not attack me for desecrating his 🦅’s 😳. All I can think of is that he must have agreed with my post 🤷‍♂️

• TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

Clowney wanting to be paid as the highest DE in the league, could be had for a 2nd round pick according to analysts. Tunsil playing left tackle is worth more than a 2nd round pick, I don't see the Dolphins making that move. Besides quarterback, finding a top left tackle is the next toughest thing to do. Top NFL tackles come in three types 1. Great pass blockers/Good run; 2. Good pass/Great run. 3. Good Pass/Good Run. So what do they call Great Pass/Great Run? ~ Hall of Famers. I don't know if Tunsil has that kind of ability, but he has the feet for it. Very few tackles are quick enough to re-adjust their feet on countermoves by a DE and not lose leverage, maintain proper angles, and be able to anchor in and not give up too much ground causing the pocket to collapse.

I think the Redskins might be in play for Clowney because Trent Williams seems to want out of DC. So we have a pro bowl left tackle on one hand and a Texans team desperate for o-line help on the other.

If the Cowboys were to trade for Clowney they would likely have to give Amari Cooper to the Texans (a trade they would accept); then trade Sean Lee and Robert Quinn for late round picks (6ths or 7ths) just to clear up enough cap space to sign Clowney and still negotiate with Zeke. I give only a small chance of this happening. If Clowney was willing to sign for favorable terms then I could see the Cowboys wanting to do this. However Clowney and Cooper both are looking for top guaranteed money at their positions.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

edited August 28, 2019 4:05PM

@perkdog said:
    I’m utterly shocked Steve did not attack me for desecrating his 🦅’s 😳. All I can think of is that he must have agreed with my post 🤷‍♂️

My attorney told me not to make any public comments.

You'll be receiving the lawsuit papers via Certified Mail for the defamatory behavior of desecrating the Philadelphia Eagles.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clowney ? :D isn't he only good because JJ watt was on the team? when Watt was out he sucked

@TennisCoach said:
    Clowney wanting to be paid as the highest DE in the league, could be had for a 2nd round pick according to analysts. Tunsil playing left tackle is worth more than a 2nd round pick, I don't see the Dolphins making that move. Besides quarterback, finding a top left tackle is the next toughest thing to do. Top NFL tackles come in three types 1. Great pass blockers/Good run; 2. Good pass/Great run. 3. Good Pass/Good Run. So what do they call Great Pass/Great Run? ~ Hall of Famers. I don't know if Tunsil has that kind of ability, but he has the feet for it. Very few tackles are quick enough to re-adjust their feet on countermoves by a DE and not lose leverage, maintain proper angles, and be able to anchor in and not give up too much ground causing the pocket to collapse.

I think the Redskins might be in play for Clowney because Trent Williams seems to want out of DC. So we have a pro bowl left tackle on one hand and a Texans team desperate for o-line help on the other.

If the Cowboys were to trade for Clowney they would likely have to give Amari Cooper to the Texans (a trade they would accept); then trade Sean Lee and Robert Quinn for late round picks (6ths or 7ths) just to clear up enough cap space to sign Clowney and still negotiate with Zeke. I give only a small chance of this happening. If Clowney was willing to sign for favorable terms then I could see the Cowboys wanting to do this. However Clowney and Cooper both are looking for top guaranteed money at their positions.

Lee, Cooper and Quinn for Clowney……….NO WAY!!!!!

It would be Lee, Cooper, and Quinn
    for Clowney (with a less than market value contract), and a 6th & 7th round pick.
    I don't think it's quite in the no way category especially if you have trouble signing Cooper.
    You would get a bookend pass rusher opposite Lawrence that can also rush from the inside. Clowney if healthy for a full season should be able to get 10 to 15 sacks along with plenty of TFLs. That's not easy production to find. Again it would all depend on what type of contract he is willing to sign, if he wants D-Law money you can't do it because you can't re-sign your young players when they come up for contract. Chido, Byron Jones, Woods, LVE, Gallup, possibly Collins, are all good young nucleus players the team will want to re-sign.

I also doubt Dallas would do the deal unless Clowney wanted to play for a contender and was willing to sign for 3M less per year than market. Also Cooper would have to be asking for top dollar and you figure you can't sign him without losing quality depth. If those two things were to happen, you likely think about it because a quality DE who can bring pressure both off the edge and from inside to collapse the pocket is much more difficult to find than a quality receiver. Dallas's defensive scheme values versatility and the ability to move guys around up front to cause overloads. They want to make those reach blocks more difficult for the offense. That's why Dallas values athletic under-tackles instead of the bulky girth type of D-Lineman. Dallas wants their 3 technique guys to be able to do a cross and pull, or be gap penetrators and hold for a backer to become a free hitter. Also they have to be able to run twist stunts both inside and out with the end. That's why Dallas doesn't carry any true 1's on their roster. Clowney is a more athletic and faster version of Tyrone Crawford (he can play both inside and out equally as well)

The real thing I don't know about is what kind of character and intangibles does Clowney bring? Is he a good locker room presence? Is he a leader of men? Does he take plays off? Does he have a high motor even when the game is decided? Can he show the young guys how to be pros? What's his medical like? All these things go into the decision making when building a roster.

Losing Cooper would be a tough move to make, but if you get a game changing defensive end in the process~ and prevent him from going to the Eagles or the Redskins; I would consider making that move if I were Dallas.

I don't know this guy Clowney very well at all, especially not like you fantasy football fanatics who know the intricacies of possibly every key player and more in the NFL.

That being said, just off the cuff reading a little bit about this situation because it could affect the Eagles, in my opinion this guy has "under perform" written all over him.

Let's tell it like it is without going into a very long list. There are exceptions such as a Reggie White, but too many of there malcontent NFL players who go thru this type of process, do under perform for their new team, and some windup under performing badly.

I could be totally wrong, but I don't like this guy, and I'd rather not see the Eagles sign him.

To be honest Clowney is not a skill position player on Offense so us Fantasy football guys don’t intricately know him. He is a good defensive player though, I’d take him on the Pats

@perkdog said:
    To be honest Clowney is not a skill position player on Offense so us Fantasy football guys don’t intricately know him. He is a good defensive player though, I’d take him on the Pats

So defense isn't even bet on in fantasy football, or drafted, etc?

Shows ya what i know about it. LOL

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

In most leagues it’s a Team Defense that gets drafted and you get Points for lower Points Allowed, Sacks, Defensive or Special Teams TD’s, Safety’s. Individual players are done in some leagues and you get points for Tackles, Sacks, Int and TD’s

edited August 30, 2019 10:21AM

@TennisCoach said:
    for Clowney (with a less than market value contract), and a 6th & 7th round pick.
    I don't think it's quite in the no way category especially if you have trouble signing Cooper.
    You would get a bookend pass rusher opposite Lawrence that can also rush from the inside. Clowney if healthy for a full season should be able to get 10 to 15 sacks along with plenty of TFLs. That's not easy production to find. Again it would all depend on what type of contract he is willing to sign, if he wants D-Law money you can't do it because you can't re-sign your young players when they come up for contract. Chido, Byron Jones, Woods, LVE, Gallup, possibly Collins, are all good young nucleus players the team will want to re-sign.

I also doubt Dallas would do the deal unless Clowney wanted to play for a contender and was willing to sign for 3M less per year than market. Also Cooper would have to be asking for top dollar and you figure you can't sign him without losing quality depth. If those two things were to happen, you likely think about it because a quality DE who can bring pressure both off the edge and from inside to collapse the pocket is much more difficult to find than a quality receiver. Dallas's defensive scheme values versatility and the ability to move guys around up front to cause overloads. They want to make those reach blocks more difficult for the offense. That's why Dallas values athletic under-tackles instead of the bulky girth type of D-Lineman. Dallas wants their 3 technique guys to be able to do a cross and pull, or be gap penetrators and hold for a backer to become a free hitter. Also they have to be able to run twist stunts both inside and out with the end. That's why Dallas doesn't carry any true 1's on their roster. Clowney is a more athletic and faster version of Tyrone Crawford (he can play both inside and out equally as well)

The real thing I don't know about is what kind of character and intangibles does Clowney bring? Is he a good locker room presence? Is he a leader of men? Does he take plays off? Does he have a high motor even when the game is decided? Can he show the young guys how to be pros? What's his medical like? All these things go into the decision making when building a roster.

Losing Cooper would be a tough move to make, but if you get a game changing defensive end in the process~ and prevent him from going to the Eagles or the Redskins; I would consider making that move if I were Dallas.

break it down! i don't know who you are, but you must be the most football-savvy tennis coach around, lol. seriously, you were all over it. i really dig the in-depth nature of your posts........please keep them coming.

bronco thinks he sucks and stevek doesn't like him. living here in Houston, i've watched him enough to know that he certainly does not suck and there are many things to like.

ever watch one of those animal shows where the much smaller & seemingly faster prey gets the surprise of its life when a lion or bear tracks it down and turns its lights out? here was Clowney's 40 superimposed over Johnny Football's at the combine:

he has physical ability that -- at times -- has reminded me of Lawrence Taylor. by no means am i saying he's a modern-day LT, but i AM saying he can make similar types of plays -- and has. 265-270......alligator quickness with frightening first-step explosion......long......straight-line speed to the tune of 4.5 in the 40........serious hops (almost a 40-inch vertical at the combine)........he's just a freak show.

to this point has he lived up to the lofty expectations coming out of South Carolina? no. he got off on the wrong foot by getting injured his rookie year and it has been an uphill climb ever since. but he has turned it up the past 3 seasons with a combined 3 missed games........and 3 trips to the Pro Bowl. at 26 years of age and entering his prime years, i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he turns into a 12-15 sacks/year guy over the next 6-7 seasons........if he stays healthy.......and if he ends up in the right system.

the Bears are my 1a, but the Texans are my 1b and i really hate to see him go. Houston may end up with a left tackle who prevents Deshaun Watson from being broken in two, but no doubt the defense will be depleted without Clowney.

@galaxy27 said:

@TennisCoach said:

break it down! i don't know who you are, but you must be the most football-savvy tennis coach around, lol. seriously, you were all over it. i really dig the in-depth nature of your posts........please keep them coming.

bronco thinks he sucks and stevek doesn't like him. living here in Houston, i've watched him enough to know that he certainly does not suck and there are many things to like.

ever watch one of those animal shows where the much smaller & seemingly faster prey gets the surprise of its life when a lion or bear tracks it down and turns its lights out? here was Clowney's 40 superimposed over Johnny Football's at the combine:

he has physical ability that -- at times -- has reminded me of Lawrence Taylor. by no means am i saying he's a modern-day LT, but i AM saying he can make similar types of plays -- and has. 265-270......alligator quickness with frightening first-step explosion......long......straight-line speed to the tune of 4.5 in the 40........serious hops (almost a 40-inch vertical at the combine)........he's just a freak show.

to this point has he lived up to the lofty expectations coming out of South Carolina? no. he got off on the wrong foot by getting injured his rookie year and it has been an uphill climb ever since. but he has turned it up the past 3 seasons with a combined 3 missed games........and 3 trips to the Pro Bowl. at 26 years of age and entering his prime years, i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he turns into a 12-15 sacks/year guy over the next 6-7 seasons........if he stays healthy.......and if he ends up in the right system.

the Bears are my 1a, but the Texans are my 1b and i really hate to see him go. Houston may end up with a left tackle who prevents Deshaun Watson from being broken in two, but no doubt the defense will be depleted without Clowney.

Points understood and they're solid points.

However I think the basic "problem" is once Clowney gets paid, will he stay focused and motivated enough to be worth the money that he's getting paid? I have my doubts.

Clowney will make plays at times, no question about that. But he may make plays only when he's in the mood to do it. Perhaps not necessarily when the team needs him to do it? Maybe i'm mistaken.

After he signs, we shall see how his career progresses.

Another thing to consider is Clowney's head coach is an offensive guy,put him with a defensive minded coach who can utilize him the best and the sky is the limit with his talent.
    I read an article this morning stating that Miami turned down Clowney & a 1st for Tunsil which is pretty crazy.

edited August 30, 2019 1:09PM

it's also important to know what exactly is going on with this situation. if you're not fully aware, it would be easy to pounce on Clowney and call him, well, a clown. first off, he was really upset when he learned of the team's willingness to trade him. and here's another tidbit: the Texans are trying to nickel-and-dime him. because Clowney is a freak hybrid player, it has in essence given Houston the opportunity to f him over with the franchise tag........and they are.

in 2018, Clowney played 255 snaps as an LB. the tender amount for a linebacker is $15.967 million.

in 2018, Clowney played 532 snaps as a DE. the tender amount for a defensive end is $17.128 million.

which positional designation do you think they gave him?

how pissed would you be if you found out your employer was not only trying to get rid of you, but also screw you out of a large sum of money at the same time? i don't care how much or how little one makes, 1.16 million is 1.16 million.

but Clowney may ultimately get the last laugh, because he has almost all of the leverage. he isn't going anywhere until he signs the tag. if he doesn't like where he's going, all he has to do is stand pat. and on top of that, not signing also means he's not accruing daily fines. he will not lose any actual money until the season starts and he begins missing paychecks.

a big ol game of chicken is about to break out

edited August 30, 2019 3:04PM

The real value in Clowney is that he is an elite run stuffer (top 5 in the league by position).
    Clowney also gives you plenty of TFLs as he can penetrate and wreak havoc in the backfield. (By definition that's a game changer type player) *He puts teams behind the sticks in longer down and distance situations making them one dimensional.
    As an added bonus you get about 3 forced fumbles, and 9 sacks if he stays healthy.
    He is also entering his prime, so I suspect his sack totals will improve to 10 - 13. You do that and you have "similar production" to what Demarcus Lawrence gave you last year. (Elite run stopper and very good at rushing the passer.) The difference is that Clowney will probably always be a around that 10-13 sacks a year range where as Lawrence is capable of having a year where he gets you 15+. Lawrence is just better with his hands, has more bend off the edge, has a more explosive first move of the line, and has 3 counter moves that work. Clowney is not at that level as a pass rusher, but if you are going to run the ball at him, you better double team him or have an elite blocker on him. If you don't he will likely shed any single block assignment you throw at him.

The point is there are not a lot of guys that can do what Clowney gives you. Plus he gives you the added value of being able to do these things from anywhere along the line to take advantage of match-ups (force protection adjustments by the offense.) It kind of sucks if your running back has to stay home and plug holes in the dam all game (you might as well put a vest on him that says dike control). It doesn't take long before your route tree becomes slants, curls, short IN/Outs and come back routes. Before you know it you have a check-down, hot route offense and your quarterback has become a game manager. Now who wants a starter that is running the same offense as the guy holding the clip board? Its's hard to do any real damage if your offense has to convert (5) 3rd downs every single drive just to be in field goal range.

So if Clowney was willing to sign under favorable terms and my own free agents were not willing to budge on their demands, I would consider a trade. However I would not trade Cooper, Quinn, and Lee for a top of the market contract DE a couple of late round picks and the possibility it could hurt my chances of re-signing some of my young core players.

Things get more interesting however when division rivals get involved in contract talks. You don't want to be the team that has to face a guy like Clowney twice a year for the next 3 to 5 years. Priority one for every team is win your division! You want your division opponents to sign past their prime players for big contracts~ enter the Redskins and Giants over recent years. What you don't want is to see them sign talented players for years 5 through 8 of their contracts. You get enough guys like this on your team and you can get the other coaches in your division fired!

I guess that's why a lot of coaches want to shop for the groceries~ Bill Parcels

I am surprised that Clowney is getting more CU Sports Talk than Zeke or Gordon 🤷‍♂️

@perkdog said:
    I am surprised that Clowney is getting more CU Sports Talk than Zeke or Gordon 🤷‍♂️

no Bolt fans on the board and dime is busy hitting up the early bird special

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I want to know from Galaxy since he lives in Houston................
    Are Deshaun Watson cards worth buying? I think he has elite skills, but I heard he
    couldn't even get in the work he needed last preseason game because he dropped back to pass 3 times
    and got sacked twice. One didn't count because of a defensive penalty, but he still got sacked.
    That was enough for his coach, he got yanked because the line couldn't even protect him in a preseason game.
    And last year, 62 sacks!!! What the H! That is atrocious. How did he not get carted off the field?

Would like to buy some of his cards, but those numbers are just ridiculous.
    Galaxy, did they do anything to improve the O line? Or will he get sacked 80 times this year?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    edited August 30, 2019 4:46PM

@Darin said:
    What I want to know from Galaxy since he lives in Houston................
    Are Deshaun Watson cards worth buying? I think he has elite skills, but I heard he
    couldn't even get in the work he needed last preseason game because he dropped back to pass 3 times
    and got sacked twice. One didn't count because of a defensive penalty, but he still got sacked.
    That was enough for his coach, he got yanked because the line couldn't even protect him in a preseason game.
    And last year, 62 sacks!!! What the H! That is atrocious. How did he not get carted off the field?

Would like to buy some of his cards, but those numbers are just ridiculous.
    Galaxy, did they do anything to improve the O line? Or will he get sacked 80 times this year?

desperate times call for desperate measures. the problem you've laid out is the exact reason why this thread even exists. Houston is trying to move Clowney for a legit left tackle so there isn't a eulogy for Deshaun Watson. they're targeting Laremy Tunsil of the Dolphins, but Miami is asking for a king's ransom in return. not to mention, Dolphins players essentially said they are prepared to revolt if Tunsil is traded. so it remains to be seen what will happen there, if anything. i personally think it will be fruitless.

the Redskins will not part with Trent Williams, so they're out.

the Eagles have o-line depth, but i haven't heard much about that possibility aside from Clowney wanting to play there

the Jets and Seahawks were the other two teams mentioned, but i honestly don't know what either of those teams has to offer in return

one other thing to remember. Lamar Miller is out for the year after he tore his ACL, thus leaving Duke Johnson (😳) as the team's primary back. translation: added pressure on Watson with a depleted running game, hence he'll probably be running for his life again.

does he have the potential to be a star? yup, i think so. but he doesn't have the supporting cast that your boy Patrick does, so it's truly up in the air if he'll ever reach said potential.

as for whether or not you should pony up for some of his cardboard? sure, why not take a flyer. best case scenario, you look like a genius again. worst case, you have some cards of an exciting, young signal caller............and a good guy to boot.

<<< the Eagles have o-line depth, but i haven't heard much about that possibility aside from Clowney wanting to play there >>>

The Eagles have a "competent" defense, but if Wentz can stay in one piece all season, it's a powerhouse of an offense.

So i just think the Eagles strategy going into this season, is overwhelm most teams with their offense, and basically okay to bend but don't break on defense.

I see the Eagles winning a good number of high scoring games this season.

Looks like Bill O'Brien wasn't fully paying attention during his time in NE. His team is in desperate need of offensive line help where he's offering up one of the best defensive players in football PLUS an additional 1st round pick yet his team can't find any takers. Then you have Bill Belichick trading a bunch of 6th & 7th round picks over two days and it lands the Pats OL depth at Center,Tackle and Guard. Someone needs to tell Bo'B to stop trying to swing for the fences for Tunsil or Williams and just go after the best Olinemen available. Teams gotta be down to 53 players by tomorrow at 4pm so there will be plenty of players available.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Galaxy- thanks, I hope Houston does get the O-line problems worked out so we can see how good
    Deshaun can be. He had a very nice year last year even with all the sacks.
    I have heard him interviewed a few times and he does seem to be a good guy, an easy guy to root for.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@galaxy27 said:

@perkdog said:

no Bolt fans on the board and dime is busy hitting up the early bird special

I have already made it clear how I feel about Zeke! :s

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

thats why its ruining real football

Watson is definitely a good guy and does things for people in his community. He is certainly an easy guy to root for. He's also a guy that needs to adjust the clock in his head when there is no play to be made. Some guys just want to be known as playmakers and believe too much in their escapability. You have this mentality long enough and you're going to wind up in surgery. There's a reason quality left tackles in the NFL get paid so much. If others guys don't do their job you probably just lose the game. But if you protect the quarterbacks' blind side and mess-up~ you don't just lose the game, you can lose your season!

Just ask the Colts if they wish they would have devoted more draft capital to their o-line sooner.

edited August 31, 2019 8:52AM

Looks like Clowney is be heading to Seattle for two players and a pick. It's likely for OT Germain Ifedi, RB CJ Prosise and a 3rd in 2020.
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/31/report-seahawks-and-texans-have-agreed-to-jadeveon-clowney-trade/

Texans are going to get Tunsil and Kenny Stills for a crapton of picks

Nice,let the Mutiny in Miami commence! ;)
    Houston also traded for Chiefs RB Carlos Hyde and Pats CB Keion Crossen.

I thought Hyde was with the Browns. Guess I better hit the books again before my draft Tuesday 🤨

@perkdog said:
    I thought Hyde was with the Browns. Guess I better hit the books again before my draft Tuesday 🤨

He was with the Jags too last season.