Options

Guess the grade ($2 1/2 Indian)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 12:24PM

@jwitten said:
    I've got to say, I've been very pleased with almost everything I've sent in for grading to yall. Most have come back right along where I thought they should be, except this 1908 ;) I was planning to send it to PCGS to get another opinion, but someone already bought it.

LOL, maybe it was "undergraded."

@lkenefic replied: "Unfortunately, that someone wasn't me..."

That's too bad, :( Perhaps @jwitten is a better grader.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better than me? Better than you? Does it matter??

Someone else's grading skills might factor into a purchasing decision, I suppose... especially if it's a series that one doesn't know how to grade properly. What I was commenting on related more to my own grading skills and the piece that was offered on the BST.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just let them re-examine it and see if they would revise the grade, no way is that sub-50.

• Options

@lkenefic said:
    Better than me? Better than you? DOES IT MATTER??

Someone else's grading skills might factor into a purchasing decision, I suppose... especially if it's a series that one doesn't know how to grade properly. What I was commenting on related more to my own grading skills and the piece that was offered on the BST.

YES

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@lkenefic said:

YES

You should have read past the first sentence. From there, one can infer that when a collector... such as myself... goes to make a purchase, one is effectively making a decision. That decision, ultimately, is based on whether of not I agree with the assigned grade (raw or slabbed) and the price at which it's being offered given the market. That's my money... and my decision . I'm sure there are people out there that hand off wads of money to someone else to make that decision for them. It's not me.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2019 7:44AM

@lkenefic said:

@Insider2 said:

@lkenefic said:

YES

You should have read past the first sentence. From there, one can infer that when a collector... such as myself... goes to make a purchase, one is effectively making a decision. That decision, ultimately, is based on whether of not I agree with the assigned grade (raw or slabbed) and the price at which it's being offered given the market. That's my money... and my decision . I'm sure there are people out there that hand off wads of money to someone else to make that decision for them. It's not me.

I'm very sorry. I should have been more clear. I hate to see folks "blow" money because of a "personal decision."

You see, some folks are better commercial graders than others. Therefore, the grading skills (personal opinion) of an individual (in my comment I was addressing just YOU) do matter. That's why my answer to you probably should have been: yes, YES, and ALWAYS! o:)

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

ICG graded it accurately IMO, frankly all the MS guesses had me baffled. AU details i can buy into, but it loses a few points for the surfaces to most folks..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file