Home Autographs Forum
Options

Authenticity of Sportsmemorabilia .com

I received an email from one of their sales reps which stated that I could submit an offer on an item and they would respond if the offer is accepted or they would counter. I put in an offer on a Stephon Marbury Signed 8x10 Abraham Lincoln High School. The auto looks suspicious as I take a 4th look. I am comparing it to the other items for sale and it seems a little off. I also found the same item on Ebay for half the price and the image on ebay has the exact same Beckett COA #. So, is the auto fake, are they selling duplicates, or do they just buy from ebay and mark up the price?
This particular items signature is far different that any others I cross checked on sports memorabilia, ebay, or pristine auction. So my suspicions rose. Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given the high level of fakes in sports memorabilia, if in doubt, pass.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

That was my initial feeling. I am not a seasoned autograph hunter or collector, but I am also not new. I learn more every auto hunt or every auto show I go to. I read some articles about sports memorabilia and they weren't the best received.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dgoldfe13 said:
    I also found the same item on Ebay for half the price and the image on ebay has the exact same Beckett COA #. So, is the auto fake, are they selling duplicates, or do they just buy from ebay and mark up the price?

I know that in coins, sellers sometimes do this. They offer for sale another dealers items at a higher cost. If someone buys from them they simply buy it from the original dealer.