Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Weird Canadian coin error

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? It's a cancelled Canadian quarter but you can see it was double struck. Cant find anything like it anywhere. Then again I'm not well versed in world coins

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

That coin has been waffled - a form of cancellation. I believe it is no longer considered legal tender once waffled.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1960NYGiants said:
    That coin has been waffled - a form of cancellation. I believe it is no longer considered legal tender once waffled.

Just thought it was interesting that you can see why it was waffled. Its double struck about 40 percent. Just thought it was cool

HAPPY COLLECTING

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is nice to see the defect that earned it the waffle treatment. Most of the waffled coins I have seen have no obvious issues other than the waffling.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do these get out?

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    How do these get out?

From what I have always been told is, the mint cancelled them and then sells the cancelled coins to scrap yards to melt down themselves and thats how they normally leak out ?

HAPPY COLLECTING

Yes, I think that is how.

The coin does not look double struck to me. I think another coin was pressed against this one as it passed thru the waffler and impressed it's design in mirror image onto this piece. The DA is backwards, shown in 3rd photo enlarged.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

U.S. Mint does a similar cancellation. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@1960NYGiants said:
    The coin does not look double struck to me. I think another coin was pressed against this one as it passed thru the waffler and impressed it's design in mirror image onto this piece. The DA is backwards, shown in 3rd photo enlarged.

Good catch.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a rather interesting story about de-valued / cancelled coins that happened in Europe after the Euro coins were introduced.

This story was published in some European newspapers about 20 something years ago (give or take a few years, can not remember the exact year nor the very exact details)

A Flight attendant had enough seniority to fly from Europe to China 3-5 times a month as part of her job.
    She had apparently "acquired" a "trusted" Friend in China whom she saw regularly.
    Her Husband's best buddy was a customs officer at the Frankfurt airport. One early morning while on Duty at the arrivals hall at the Airport, he observed the incoming travelers picking up their luggage from the carousel. He also noticed his best friends wife struggling with her Suitcase trying to lift it from the delivery band. so he approached her and helped her.
    He noticed that the suitcase was on the rather heavy side (for a 4 day China round trip) and of course, had a priority crew tag attached.(preferred handling)
    So he asked her innocently what she had purchased in China. She had no real answer and said: fancy car parts for her husbands car. it rose his suspicion (as his best friend had a very new Porsche which did not need any parts from China) and he had her suitcase examined by secondary officers......
    surprise surprise..... what they found was MONEY, No other contraband... a whole bunch of used 2 Euro coins, exactly 2000 of them .. perfect.... nothing wrong with that, as it is well under the allowed money import limit without needing to declare it. But why 2 Euro coins???
    However.......why bring Euro coins from China.??.. the obvious thought, it is fakes, was 1st guess, as she had no idea and could or would not say anything. She just told the story as it happened on every china trip for the last year or so.
    The coins were examined and they were authentic. all properties were a match... NO fakes.
    The lady then cooperated with customs and Federal Police and it became an interesting investigation involving other Euro countries. Here is the rest of the story as I remember:

At home the racket continued as a person picked up the re-assembled coins from the respective FA's, paid them their reward and , because the gang was in the vending industry, deposited the coins into banks as part of their daily deposits.
    No suspicion....all the way along the chain, except a husband's best friend (the German customs officer) was being helpful and asked a innocent question.....
    Result: several other FA's (also different airlines) were then caught with their heavy suit cases on different airports and the Gangs Laundromats and other vending equipment was shut down.
    The actual discovery of the "quasi Fake "real" coins came as a police officer eventually noticed that some of the the 2 parts of the coins were from 2 different EU countries...
    Apparently, the coins were declared legal by the courts. Where everyone thought that crimes were committed, there was none committed in Europe. Apparently, the respective Governments should have made the coins unusable using different methods, like waffling or chopping them to pieces.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

I heard something about that but not in that detail. Amazing story.

Thanks @YQQ - interesting story.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay