Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to submit coin to cross from NGC to PCGS

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is a good topic to talk about. We can learn from each other's experience. Here are some of the things that I heard or tried.

1. Don't send too many coins to cross. It should be no more than 3 at a time.
  2. Crack it out from the box and send it raw.
  3. Keep trying; some need to be submit two or three times in order to get crossed
  4. Cross at any grade
  5. cross on same grade only

Any other thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2019 10:57AM

It's on a coin by coin basis.
    If you believe in the coin then cross at any grade.
    If you really believe in the coin then crack it out.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2019 2:42PM

For me: It can depend on what’s on table.

Cross at minimum grade specified on form by me (grade on ngc holder). I am considering this on ngc coin - CDN bid $360. It is in NGC early gen fattie.

I had a coin under $100 I cracked out of ngc holder (Holder badly chipped) and it got same grade at PCGS. This coin was submitted w one cracked from ICG. They both came back PCGS same grade.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think my biggest suggestion is: Be honest with yourself. They aren't going to give you any gifts, (crossover OR raw), so I think you really need to believe, rather than hope. The coin tells the story, and not the method...

I've sent in groups of 6 a couple of times....and I try to pick the "right" submission method for each coin. If I can't accept a lower grade, I'll submit as "current".....If I think it will downgrade, I'll submit at "any", (or leave it out). Of course, being only a novice grader, I usually get surprises.

Last time out, I got an unexpected upgrade on a Bust Half from 50 to 53....and a DNC on a standing quarter I thought had a real shot at an upgrade. Win some, lose some. (The others, I got what I expected...so call it a wash?) ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file