Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Numbered baseball cards

I need your help. My son started collecting baseball cards and for Christmas I would like to get him some autographed cards from his favorite players. My question is, is a card numbered 1/25 more valuable than a the exact card numbered 25/25?

Comments

• jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

IMO not much value added regardless of serial number. Some people put a slight premium on player jersey worn numbers. If I get a Longoria card say 3/25, great, but I'm not searching them out.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum. :)

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Welcome. Always nice to hear about the next generation of collectors. Let us know some of those favorite players and you might find some good deals from the group.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who are his favorite players???

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Thank you for the input! I'm not looking to spend big bucks. The kid is just 8 years old but I want to make sure I'm getting the most for my money and making a wise investment. Plus I would like to pass down anything I learn here but he probably already knows way more than me! He's a Yankees fan first and foremost. His favorite current player is Aaron Judge and his favorite player from "back then" is Yogi Berra and then everyone in between from Dave Winfield to Mariano Rivera.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2019 5:46PM

Hiya BMom

For Judge auto?

That's not gonna be a cheap auto.

I would stay with simple auto cards - not his rookie year - from Topps Heritage "real one" blue sigs like this one: LINK

IMO, his auto is over-exposed - plenty to choose and you can get a Topps auto card close to 100 bucks - not rookie auto tho I would guess.

On the Berra?

I would recommend shopping around on eBay for cards that are signed from a pack - again like Topps Heritage - like this one: LINK

I wouldn't hold it against you if you thought 100 quid for an 8 yr old may be a bit steep?

Best of luck.

Mike
  • pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Your boy sure picked some great favorite players. And this from a Red Sox fan. I think Winfield, Mattingly, Sanchez, Severino, Andujar, Paul O'Neill, Bernie Williams are also a great option. Popular and relatively affordable for those players.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Nice to see a youngster interested in cards.
    Signed Judge cards will be to expensive.
    For Berra try to get a newer relic auto. or I like perex steel cards that are psa authenticated
    I have several Yankees in this type and year card love em

Berra isn't all that bad price wise

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Perez-Steele-127-Yogi-Berra-Autograph-Psa-Dna-Certified-w-Free-Shipping/264425237549?hash=item3d90f8ec2d:g:TQwAAOSw~hNdTSMp

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • He already has autograph cards from Sanchez, Gregorius and Betances, all of which he purchased himself with allowance money. Albeit those weren't pricey at all. He also aquired a Cy Sneed auto and a signed ball from Tim Tebow that he got himself at a minor league game. He's a Cub Scout and wrote a letter and sent one of his cards to Aaron Judge asking for his autograph to help him earn one of his badges. This was back during spring training and I told him not to get his hopes up too high. He is also trying to make a deal with my brother for one of his autographed Winfield cards. This kid is determined. I've been eyeing Mariano Rivera cards on eBay. 100 quid isn't bad at all. I'll spend about twice as much for someone like that.

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya BMom

For Judge auto?

That's not gonna be a cheap auto.

I would stay with simple auto cards - not his rookie year - from Topps Heritage "real one" blue sigs like this one: LINK

IMO, his auto is over-exposed - plenty to choose and you can get a Topps auto card close to 100 bucks - not rookie auto tho I would guess.

On the Berra?

I would recommend shopping around on eBay for cards that are signed from a pack - again like Topps Heritage - like this one: LINK

I wouldn't hold it against you if you thought 100 quid for an 8 yr old may be a bit steep?

Best of luck.

• @phelda said:
    Your boy sure picked some great favorite players. And this from a Red Sox fan. I think Winfield, Mattingly, Sanchez, Severino, Andujar, Paul O'Neill, Bernie Williams are also a great option. Popular and relatively affordable for those players.

My friend and I are suprising our sons with a trip to Fenway Park next month to see a Yankees vs. Red Sox game. They are best friends and are on opposing sides. It should be fun!

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

I do think that cards numbered 1/25 or 25/25 are more desired by collectors especially if they are well known players thus bringing a bit of a premium as well as increasing the level on interest if selling the card.