Baseball - Yogi Berra 10 world series
Football -- Tom Brady 6 Super Bowls

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady 6 Super Bowls Duh 🙄.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not on the list, but I'm going with Michael Jordan's reign in Chicago. I've never seen an athlete like him. Zero weakness. Obsessed with winning. Absolutely obsessed with winning.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

@doubledragon said:
    It's not on the list, but I'm going with Michael Jordan's reign in Chicago. I've never seen an athlete like him. Zero weakness. Obsessed with winning. Absolutely obsessed with winning.

I guess you never read this...........(and perhaps you shouldn't if you love Jordan)
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/325822-bill-russell-is-better-than-michael-jordan

I'm not even going to open and read that.......PURE GARBAGE!!!!! Bill was great, but NO Jordan!!

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady isn't retired yet, all the others have retired. a few more super bowl wins and a few more records might put him on top

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joey Chestnut and the 78 hot dogs.

Brady would barf after a couple.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill Russell. He was also the Celtics head coach for those final 2 championships.

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Russell played in an era that had as little as 8 total teams for his early championship(s) and swelled to a whopping 14 by his last title year. Brady has had to navigate a bigger AFC conference his entire career.

Free agency really didn't take hold in the NBA until the late 80's, which kept Russell's team intact for most of the 60's.

Brady big time over Russell and then this - It's not on the list, but I'm going with Michael Jordan's reign in Chicago. I've never seen an athlete like him. Zero weakness. Obsessed with winning. Absolutely obsessed with winning.

• Options
    edited August 25, 2019 12:15PM

Jordan vs Russell. Please, give me a break. Michael Jordan would mop the floor with Russell. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a LLWS championship game to watch. ;)

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2019 12:33PM

I'm as a big a Brady fan that there is on this site and I've seen every single one of his games since coming to NE but I still think what Russell's Celtics did was more impressive than what Brady has done. If we're gonna take into consideration their opponents then Wilt Chamberlain was every bit as good as Brady's nemesis Peyton Manning if not better. After Manning's Colts/Broncos Brady hasn't had much real compeition in the AFC unless you count the Steelers,who Brady/NE own or the Ravens who won just one SB while Brady was a starter.
    Russell was repeatedly getting death threats during his playing/coaching days from his own fans and wherever he went on the road something that Brady doesn't even come close to dealing with. And no,Bills fans throwing sex toys onto the field near Brady doesn't count as a death threat . B)

• Options

In my VERY BIASED opinion, to play at the level he has played at with the way Football is in today’s game is it’s own feat in itself. To win so consistently is another feat. Brady all the way. Basketball is a far cry from Pro Football

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    Most championships in each sport......

Hockey - Henri Richard 11 Stanley Cups
    Basketball - Bill Russell 11 world championships
    Baseball - Yogi Berra 10 world series
    Football -- Tom Brady 6 Super Bowls

Rocket Richard was great but every montreal record from early hockey is suspect. They were a 6 team league and they controlled all the prospects .

See above for the Celtics fake championships.

Yogi Berra? No idea baseball is too boring to care

Brady? While there is much more parity in todays NFL than what montreal or the celtics saw in the 50's and 60's lets face it the patriots are in a shitty division and coast to 10 win seasons because of it. They have so many 1st round byes and home advantages its almost rigged

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady is out of the discussion because we all know that it was Bill Belichick who had the major influence on those Patriots championships, and it was of course not any one player but all the players combined in each championship season that led to the triumphs.

(I just was in a mood to hiss off some Patriots fans) :D

• Options

@stevek 🤬🤬🤬

• Options

BTW - The correct answer is obviously Tom Brady.

Not even debatable. Case closed.

• Options

@stevek said:
    BTW - The correct answer is obviously Tom Brady.

Not even debatable. Case closed.

Agreed 👍

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of them impressive except for hockey which still hasn't really caught on in the US and should
    move strictly to Canada because it really sucks.
    Sports are played with things called balls, be it a baseball, football, or basketball. Yes, even tennis balls.
    If hockey had a hockey ball maybe it would be a decent sport, but when you play with something called a puck
    its about the same as playing with a shuttlecock. It just doesn't cut it as a real sport.

• Options

@1970s said:

LeBron is one of my least favorite players in any sport, but he does have 3 rings.

• Options
    edited August 25, 2019 4:46PM

Since rings talk...I'll go with the Pocket Rocket.

• Options

@stevek said:

@1970s said:

LeBron is one of my least favorite players in any sport, but he does have 3 rings.

His mouth is the most irritating part

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    _ Jordan went up against Shaq
    and lost. He lost to the Magic in the playoffs with Shaq dominating the middle._
    __
    So you are referring to 1995 where Jordan came back and played about 7 games to get his playoff feet under him before losing 4 - 2 to the Magic, and not 1996 where he had a whole season to "practice" and they beat Magic 4 - 0. Am I correct?

You can talk forever about how Wilt was dominant, which he absolutely was. But, was he playing against another 7 footer or two, every single night? Don't think so.

How many NBA players have really dominated at both ends. However, big or small you make that list, you only have 1 person who lead the league in scoring and won the defensive player of the year, the same year - Jordan

• Options
    edited August 26, 2019 2:09AM

If you ask Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, they'll both tell you, Michael Jordan is the GOAT. Michael Jordan changed the game. He was a unguardable. He never lost an NBA finals. He defeated hall of famers in the finals, Barkley, Johnson, Drexler, Malone, Stockton, Payton, no one out performed him in the finals, and no one had an answer for him. If he had faced Olajuwon in the finals, it wouldn't have mattered, Jordan would have found a way to win. He could score on anyone, and he wasn't just a great scorer, he was a great defender. No weaknesses. If he had played in 94, and 95 he would have 8 rings. He didn't have a whole team of hofers behind him. He had Pippen. Jordan did most of the heavy lifting. He was the leader. He was the one that made everyone play better, and pushed everyone around him to perform better. He even played with the FLU, and nearly collapsed because of it, because he couldn't stand to lose. No doubt, Jordan is the GOAT.

• Options

Jordan is the GOAT Basketball Player. I’m still curious is to how anyone can say his 6 are more impressive than Brady’s 6. That is extremely confusing to me 🤨

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    If you ask Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, they'll both tell you, Michael Jordan is the GOAT. Michael Jordan changed the game. He was a unguardable. He never lost an NBA finals. He defeated hall of famers in the finals, Barkley, Johnson, Drexler, Malone, Stockton, Payton, no one out performed him in the finals, and no one had an answer for him. If he had faced Olajuwon in the finals, it wouldn't have mattered, Jordan would have found a way to win. He could score on anyone, and he wasn't just a great scorer, he was a great defender. No weaknesses. If he had played in 94, and 95 he would have 8 rings. He didn't have a whole team of hofers behind him. He had Pippen. Jordan did most of the heavy lifting. He was the leader. He was the one that made everyone play better, and pushed everyone around him to perform better. He even played with the FLU, and nearly collapsed because of it, because he couldn't stand to lose. No doubt, Jordan is the GOAT.

Jordan did play in the 1995 post season and the team lost to Orlando in the second round.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Jordan is the GOAT Basketball Player. I’m still curious is to how anyone can say his 6 are more impressive than Brady’s 6. That is extremely confusing to me 🤨

Perk, it is never easy comparing athletes by era, let alone when they complete in in different types of events.

I watched a lot more of Jordan that Brady so I will not opine as to which accomplishment is more impressive, but here are a few thoughts.

In basketball On or two players dominate the game, Whether it was Shaq and Kobe or Jordan and Pippen, a couple exceptional players can win a title. That is not true in football which with a roster of 50 players is truly a team sport.

A number of Super Bowls have been one by quarterbacks with less than stellar talent where few NBA teams have performed similarly without a star. Pistons of fifteen years ago may be the exception.

As Giselle noted one preseason in frustration, that her husband cannot throw and also catch the ball. As well the QB does not play defense. Jordan did everything.

Let Brady finish his career and enter the hall...that is when legends emerge.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@doubledragon said:

Jordan did play in the 1995 post season and the team lost to Orlando in the second round.

Ok, well he would have had 7 rings. ;)

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

Perk, it is never easy comparing athletes by era, let alone when they complete in in different types of events.

I watched a lot more of Jordan that Brady so I will not opine as to which accomplishment is more impressive, but here are a few thoughts.

In basketball On or two players dominate the game, Whether it was Shaq and Kobe or Jordan and Pippen, a couple exceptional players can win a title. That is not true in football which with a roster of 50 players is truly a team sport.

A number of Super Bowls have been one by quarterbacks with less than stellar talent where few NBA teams have performed similarly without a star. Pistons of fifteen years ago may be the exception.

As Giselle noted one preseason in frustration, that her husband cannot throw and also catch the ball. As well the QB does not play defense. Jordan did everything.

Let Brady finish his career and enter the hall...that is when legends emerge.

I understand, and agreed on some points your making. I just feel that the amount of wins over 19 Years with entirely different teams around him is a feat all in itself.

• Options

I'm so sick and tired of hearing about the "big differences" between players in Wilt's era versus Jordan.

Yes, basketball players of today are overall better than in the past, that isn't even debatable. However it's not like Wilt played in the 19th century. The players of today on the average are only 1 1/2" taller than the players of Wilt's era.

Wilt just didn't break records, he shattered them. Many of his records still stand today.

Wilt is the GOAT and it shouldn't even be debatable.

That's my final word on this topic unless I bring it up again. ;)

• Options
    edited August 26, 2019 6:50AM

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on who the GOAT is. Some think it's Russell, some think it's Jabbar, some think its Chamberlain, some think its Jordan. Why don't we just take a minute, and appreciate what a real goat looks like......

• Options

I would love to see Russell try to stop Jordan.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I would love to see Russell try to stop Jordan.

You couldnt even contain him let alone stop him 😳

• Options

Jordan was a nightmare to deal with.

• Options

That Jordan fake move to the basket against Bird would have never worked with Wilt on the team. Because the defender wouldn't have to worry about Jordan going to the basket because Wilt would have been there to swat away Jordan like a fly.

• Options

Jordan could score many different ways. No one could stop a turn around fade away. Jordan was a master at it.

• Options

More fade away.

• Options

Off balance game winning shot. Unstoppable.

• Options

@1970s said:

@doubledragon said:
    Off balance game winning shot. Unstoppable.

Speaking of unstoppable, take a look at the most points in single season games ever.

Please, before you post another Jordan highlight (yes, we know how good he was), just click on this link to see who was the most unstoppable player of all time.

Wilt Chamberlain was the most unstoppable player of all time. It isn't even close. It isn't even debatable, and this case is permanently closed unless stevek wishes to open it back up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_single-game_scoring_leaders

He had stilts for legs! He better be able to score! ;)

• Options
    edited August 26, 2019 11:19AM

Great players such as Brady, Jordan, etc, aren't even worth mentioning as far as who is the GOAT as far as domination in a major team sport with records, etc.

There are only two contenders, the Babe and Wilt. So sorry, nobody else.

As far as who was greater, between the Babe and Wilt, now THAT is a very tough call. To this day I'm still not 100% sure. A good case can be made for either one on top. But if I'm forced to choose, I gotta go with Wilt...the GOAT among GOATS.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Great players such as Brady, Jordan, etc, aren't even worth mentioning as far as who is the GOAT as far as domination in a major team sport with records, etc.

As far as who was greater, between the Babe and Wilt, now THAT is a very tough call. To this day I'm still not 100% sure. A good case can be made for either one on top. But if I'm forced to choose, I gotta go with Wilt...the GOAT among GOATS.

Your out of your mind if you don’t think Brady belongs in there. Out of your mind. Case Closed and it’s not even remotely debatable.

• Options

If Wentz goes on and wins 6 Super Bowls you would say the same thing Steve. You and I both know it. Obviously your safe because he would never do that but still

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Your out of your mind if you don’t think Brady belongs in there. Out of your mind. Case Closed and it’s not even remotely debatable.

Tom Brady belonging in the same mention for GOAT among GOATS as a Babe Ruth or Wilt Chamberlain?

Only if someone is drinking unfiltered water out of the Charles River. 🤣