Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Panini sealed vs. PSA (or other) slabbed?

I received my redemption for a Saquon Barkley /75 rookie auto relic from Panini recently. If I eventually sell, is there any additional value in having it graded by PSA or another TPA vs. leaving it in it’s sealed Panini case? I don’t know if peeling back the label and subbing in a fake card is something that’s going on in the industry that slabbing might help out with, or if having a grade assigned bumps the value enough to cover fees, shipping, etc. Is there a right or wrong answer here?

Jim

Comments

• Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Cool card. I think removing the card and submitting to a TPG brings up two different considerations. One, if taking the card out for verification of the card's authenticity, I would leave it alone, the Panini sticker and holder do that. For grading purposes, I think only if the card received a PSA 10 or a BGS 10 or Black Label, then it might enhance the resale value, but you also have the risk of getting a 7 or 8 on the grade, and then you basically have a very tough sell. If I was keeping the card, I would send it to TPG for a grade if I thought the card had a shot at 9 or 10. If a card in one of the Panini or Topps or other card manufacturer holders looks mint, buyers pay accordingly. I don't think a premium would be attached if it was slabbed by a TPG as 9 or 10. If the card in the card manufacturer slab looked less than mint, obviously sending it in for grading doesn't make sense. I think the card you have is awesome, but should be left alone. The chipping on the corners and edges probably makes it an 8 anyway.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2019 2:24PM

Bottom left corner says leave in that case

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, lots of edge chipping. Leave it as is and don't waste the money on grading.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave it. I have had several redemptions with Panini and their quality control is terrible. I have not got a clean card yet. All seem to have bad corners and/or edges.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the input, everyone. I’ll leave it as-is.

Jim

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    I'd send the card to PWCC ~ they can tidy that lower left corner and chipping right up.... they think outside of the box...Creative restoration.

Ha

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

While they have good points about the condition of this particular card, I would say to leave it in it’s sealed Panini case anyway, regardless of condition.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the latest COMC modern news, the Panini slab may become more valuable than a TPG slab.

Mike
  • Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    Based on the latest COMC modern news, the Panini slab may become more valuable than a TPG slab.

Yeah, all this stuff is making me think unopened is the way to go, and the Panini slab is pretty close.

Jim