Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tell me I am not DREAMING - Pack Style!

secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Tell me I am not DREAMING - Pack Style!

EUREKA?

and then....WTF?..

This was purchased as a regular old pack with no player mentioned...

Comments

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Nice pack!!!!!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    Wow! Nice pack!!!!!

Thanks man. Wish there was a way to expedite faster than 3-4 months, but PSA will not do it.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@mintonlypls said:
    Wow! Nice pack!!!!!

Thanks man. Wish there was a way to expedite faster than 3-4 months, but PSA will not do it.

Average turnaround time right now for pack subs is about 5 months.

Nice packs!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that's a really clean cello!

On the Starr - did you open a 62T pack and pull that Starr?

What's your first name?

Mike
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

Nice! How many cards do you think are in the 69 FB cello?

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    edited August 22, 2019 8:28PM

Thanks guys.

There are 12 cards in the 69 topps football cellos. I could not believe the pop is non-existent. These cello packs are so nice.

On the 62 topps Bart Starr pack, I did not pull the one in the PSA 7 photo. I was showing that to show definitely that Starr is on the back of the pack.. It is also being graded with PSA.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are awesome!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

Good detective work on noticing the Starr through the back of the pack. Great buy!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

I assume you purchased the '62 football pack w/o knowing Starr was peering through the pack until you could examine it in hand. Right?

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    I assume you purchased the '62 football pack w/o knowing Starr was peering through the pack until you could examine it in hand. Right?

Yes, it wasn't sold to me as a pack with anyone showing. I had to get it under the right lighting and angle later to see that Starr was handing me his football. :)

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭

so does that mean yours is graded a 6 since thats what the pop shows?

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@secretstash said:

@mintonlypls said:
    Wow! Nice pack!!!!!

Average turnaround time right now for pack subs is about 5 months.

Nice packs!

Confirmed. Dropped some 1980 Topps basketball packs off in Chicago at the National that I received from the group break here on the board, and spoke with PSA yesterday when they called me. They told me 70 days in Chicago, and on the phone yesterday they said it would be 4-5 months 🙄 Just shaking my head at this one. Took 20 days to log them in and enter them and now 70 days will turn into around 100 days on top of that.

KC

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

I want to know why 69 has such a low pop myself. I don;t think it's by accident- there are some sold on ebay every month. Someone has to try to get them authenticated more than just once.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 5:51AM

@coinspacks said:
    so does that mean yours is graded a 6 since thats what the pop shows?

No, my packs will not pop for 4-5 months likely. The PSA 6 being the only pop is what has me excited as I will be increasing the total population by 4 and am bound to claim the top pop since the cellos packs are in absolute mint shape.

• Options

@secretstash said:
    Thanks guys.

There are 12 cards in the 69 topps football cellos. I could not believe the pop is non-existent. These cello packs are so nice.

On the 62 topps Bart Starr pack, I did not pull the one in the PSA 7 photo. I was showing that to show definitely that Starr is on the back of the pack.. It is also being graded with PSA.

4 1969 cello packs, NICE. All series 1? Would love to see them, John

P.S. I own the only graded one, it’s a 2nd series cello

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 6:40AM

@jmoran19 said:

@secretstash said:
    Thanks guys.

Nice. I won't personally ruin your registry standing or anything, because I don't participate. I do plan to sell 1-2 of them, however.

Even though I purchased the 4 cello packs believing there was a series as well, according to Mark Murphy in his book, there are no series in this year's cello packs. I do not have any way to prove his analysis since my 4 packs all have uniformity of series 1 or 2 on front and back, respectively. PSA didn't label your pack with a series so that does further Mark's point, but I have 2 of each series 1 and 2 if a series exists. All are in the same mint shape so I will let PSA sort the rest out series wise.

Post a back pic of your PSA 6 if you could. I saw the front on the registry.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 7:00AM

@secretstash said:

@jmoran19 said:

@secretstash said:
    Thanks guys.

Nice. I won't personally ruin your registry standing or anything, because I don't participate. I do plan to sell 1-2 of them, however.

Even though I purchased the 4 cello packs believing there was a series as well, according to Mark Murphy in his book, there are no series in this year's cello packs. I do not have any way to prove his analysis since my 4 packs all have uniformity of series 1 or 2 on front and back, respectively. PSA didn't label your pack with a series so that does further Mark's point, but I have 2 of each series 1 and 2 if a series exists. All are in the same mint shape so I will let PSA sort the rest out series wise.

Post a back pic of your PSA 6 if you could. I saw the front on the registry.

It's in my SD Box but here's a very old photo (i bought raw, then had graded by GAI then crossed to PSA). The cellophane doesnt seem as thick on the back as the pack you posted.

PSA was spotty listing stars showing/series in the early days of grading packs. In Murphy's book i believe he only noted different series if he physically had seen/owned the different ones, at least he noted 1969 wax packs and raks exsisted in series. Also, I'm 99.9% sure 1965 FB cellos weren't made but he listed it anyway. John

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 7:17AM

Another curiosity related to 1969 FB cellos are these display boxes. Indicates the cellos contain 33 cards like 1970 baseball cellos but have never come across any pack or even a mention of a 1969 33 card cello pack. Test that never made it past design as the total cost of one cello pack was being increased by 250% (even though the cost per card went down)?

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 7:37AM

Wow, a 33 card cello would be like the 1970 baseball cello packs so maybe they started to consider that in 69 and decided against it and kept with 12 cards? I don't believe my packs are 33 card, but maybe you can tell from the only side pic that I have of one of the packs (it is blurred unfortunately so unlikely you can see detail). Maybe the 33 cards were supposed to be racks, but I believe they ended up with 45 or so?

• Options

Hard to tell from that view but doesnt look like 33 cards. Also did they contain gum? If so not good.

1969 Raks were 36 cards, 12 in each section. Topps stopped putting 12 card cello packs in raks after 1967 baseball i believe.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 7:58AM

@jmoran19 said:
    Hard to tell from that view but doesnt look like 33 cards. Also did they contain gum? If so not good.

1969 Raks were 36 cards, 12 in each section. Topps stopped putting 12 card cello packs in raks after 1967 baseball i believe.

I don't believe it is 33 cards either. I had thought 12, although it looked like a bit more since wrapped so tightly. There is no gum in the packs unless it was smashed to complete dust (doubtful).

If there is a series to the cello and PSA designates that, then I would end up with 2 of each. This would be better for me to own the likely top pop of each, but I would have to go through both series lists to see which has the best cards to determine if either series has significantly more value than the other.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome stuff. How is the rest of the condition of the 62 pack? Picks as well teaser?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be wary about a pack like that not already authenticated. That is one you need to send in to to PSA.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.