Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New Registry Set for Flowing Hair Coinage - including the 1792 Disme

cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Registry "Dashboard" provides a link to request the "powers that be" to create a new competitive registry set. While I'm very partial to the Flowing Hair coinage, I realized that the existing Registry Set did not include the Mint's very first Flowing Hair emission -- the 1792 Copper Disme. I proposed that a new Registry Set to be set up that would include the Disme, and as of this morning, my wish came true and a new Set was born! Thanks Roxanne!!

Complete Flowing Hair Type

It's still a short set -- and with just 9 entries, you can view all of the entries on a single page of a Virtual Album.

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the new set.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2019 3:30PM

Silly question: why does the 18th century type set include the beaded border liberty cap cent but this type set doesn’t? Seems there should be some consistency. Not that I consider it a huge important type or anything- I’d actually rather not have to buy one....

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    Silly question: why does the 18th century type set include the beaded border liberty cap cent but this type set doesn’t? Seems there should be some consistency. Not that I consider it a huge important type or anything- I’d actually rather not have to buy one....

The 18th Century type set seems to include other characteristics, while the Complete Flowing Hair Coinage set focuses only on the basic portrait of Liberty. For the 18th Century set, someone must have concluded that the beaded border on the 1793 Half Cent, the 1793 Wreath Cent, and 1793 Liberty Cap Cent was an important element that defined those first issues. The various heads on the 1794-1796 Liberty Cap cents are not distinguished in the 18th Century set, even though their designs are more notable than the difference between the beaded and denticulated borders. The remaining coins for the 18th Century set do seem to be immediately recognized as different in design from each other.

You might bring this up to the manager of the Registry sets; or you could do what I did, and request the Registry to create a new set that leaves out the 1793 Liberty Cap Cent.

• Options

I am happy to say, the new registry set for the Complete Flowing Hair coinage including the 1792 Disme now has 4 sets in the Registry:

Flowing Hair Type Set

My thanks go out to those collectors for posting their sets!!

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this qualify as Flowing Hair?

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2019 12:41PM

Edit: d'oh miss understood which coin :/

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

Does this qualify as Flowing Hair?

PCGSCoinFacts labels this issue as a "bust half disme," however, some in the new staff of the Registry Sets thinks it should be part of the flowing hair design. When I proposed the Complete Flowing Hair Coinage set, they said the half disme should be part of that set as it was a circulating legal tender coin - even though the design is quite different. I was able to get them to adopt the 1792 Disme for the set instead, as the die punch for the portrait of Liberty on the Disme was used to punch the portrait of Liberty on the 1793 half cents, and then additional details were added to the flowing hair.

• Options

Now 5 sets posted.

• Options

As of now, we are up to 6 sets!! :)

• Options

Now up to 7 sets.

• Options

@golden said:
    Now up to 7 sets.

Awesome!!

• Options

9 sets now.

• Options

@golden said:
    9 sets now.

Excellent!!

• Options

I just checked and we are up to 10 sets now!

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Amazing sets some of you have. That Hansen dollar intrigues me. The fingerprints I wish could tell who the person was, what they did, and what was the transaction when they left that print.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set