Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Keith Comstock infamous minor league card...explanation

Comments

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never even knew about the card. Awesome story, thanks for posting it.

Arthur

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a fun read, thanks for sharing!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super glue, bless it's heart. We have now found another use for it. Glueing a baseball to your crotch. Only in America.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

The stupid part of it, is look at ebay.

Before today, you could get the entire 29 card Las Vegas team set for around one dollar. The Comstock card alone was getting $10-$20 or so. This morning, one complete team set sold on BIN for $15.

But today, people have hit BINs at $100 and $150 for the card (on cards that were just put up on ebay this morning after the ESPN story), and more are currently getting bids at over $150; All because ESPN just happened to do a story, where they incorrectly label the card as "extremely rare"

Since June 3, 13 team sets or lone Comstock cards have sold, including 7 just today.

Steve

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    The stupid part of it, is look at ebay.

Before today, you could get the entire 29 card Las Vegas team set for around one dollar. The Comstock card alone was getting $10-$20 or so. This morning, one complete team set sold on BIN for $15.

But today, people have hit BINs at $100 and $150 for the card (on cards that were just put up on ebay this morning after the ESPN story), and more are currently getting bids at over $150; All because ESPN just happened to do a story, where they incorrectly label the card as "extremely rare"

Since June 3, 13 team sets or lone Comstock cards have sold, including 7 just today.

Steve

I wonder what it would take to get them to do an article on Barry Larkin rookies? I've got a ton I would happily unload at exorbitant prices. B)

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Great story! Thanks for posting it.

• Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Have you guys seen what they are selling for over on ebay? There's one right now over $150

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1983, the Oakland A's sold me to the Detroit Tigers for $100 and a bag of balls.

This is classic.

Thanx.

Mike
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. I knew I had a bunch of procards sets. I went and looked and had this one. Off to eBay.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I saw the name and it reminded me of his 1988 Topps White Letter variation card. I have stacks of those (probably about 500 or so...)

Hopefully (probably not) this story brings interest in those variation cards...

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

"I walked up with the ball stuck to my pants, and the guy was like, "No-no-no." .............laughed out loud.

thanks for posting this!!

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

His 88 Topps card can involve 2 variations, one, team name blue or white, fairly easy to get. The other, name in yellow, is scarce and expensive

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an amazing and nonsensical exciting run of junk wax gems we've experienced lately:

1994 Pinnacle Sylvain Turgeon (OK, this one was a relatively larger amount of time before the next four, and has more logic as to its desirability, but still...)
    1990 Fleer Jose Uribe
    1989 Donruss Alex Sanchez
    1990 Hoops Mark Jackson
    1989 ProCards Keith Comstock

It has been super fun to go dig these common items out of monster boxes, so much so that it almost makes it worth them having been stored all these years. Almost. ;)