Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jefferson Nickel JFSNC Award Winning Design two coin set

JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always liked these sets, and hope to one day have one. But last week I saw something that puzzled me.

I thought 1,938 sequentially numbered sets were made, each set consisting of a silver matte and silver proof copy coin based on Schlag's original design. Last week, the #7 set in the image below sold on eBay for around $125. Doing a quick bit of research, I searched these Boards for JFSNC, and lo and behold the first thread I looked at (from May of this year) had an image of the #07 set (see image below). Is there a numbering sequence explanation of why there are two number seven sets (e.g. re-holder)? The #7 set does not have a bar code on the reverse, and I also see very clear differences with the text and/or insert placement.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or explanations you might be able to offer.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.

Only plugged the matte cert numbers in but they were listed:

https://segsgrading.com/Products/CoinLookup.aspx

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have an answer for your question, but I will provide some information. While the mintage states that 1938 were produced on the slab, not all of the examples were slabbed. In a conversation with Larry Briggs two years ago, he said that during the process of slabbing and selling these in conjunction with the FSNC, he stopped receiving payments for the slabbing from Darrell Crane who was FSNC President at the time. Larry still has a number of these coins that never made it to the slabs. I would assume he kept the remainder in lieu of payment. I tried to get Larry to put a price on them, to no avail.

FWIW, I own set #32, and they more closely mimic the first set in your post. No bar code on the back.

The non proof set has developed a very nice light blue hue on both the obv. and rev. .

I guess it is possible that someone at SEGS or even Larry?, has holdered some of the raw ones they held? Earlier cert #'s would always be worth more than later ones. More likely to have a bar code in recent years? Those pairs had been selling for several hundred dollars in recent years. 125 would have been a steal, unless of course, they are slabbing leftovers with newer cert count. I have a lot more questions than I do answers.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just took a look at the two proof cert #'s. The second with the bar code does NOT have FSN in the cert #. My example and the first example of the OP DOES have it. Looks to me like a second group may have been slabbed at some point? Let the conspiracy theories begin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file