Home Sports Talk

Nike comes out with a new controversial commercial

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nike may take a hit in the south, but it is going to be very effective across much of the nation.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

😂😂😂

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't recognize the guy.

Maybe Dimeman knows who he is?

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

I'm not so sure about that in all cases.

Yes, most often that is true. However there is a concept called six degrees of separation whereby sometimes an interesting idea posted on the internet makes its way around the world and influences others.

The idea can be positive or negative, but to state "things you can't change" as if it were true for every argument on the internet, I would have to disagree with that.

And I guess I just created a new argument. ;)

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't argue......it's been a while. :/ The thing is Dallas didn't give themselves that name. It was the media and I wish they had never done it. It just brings out more haters. Maybe they (media) should ship that name up to N.E.! :D

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please explain why this Nike ad is "controversial"?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Please explain why this Nike ad is "controversial"?

EVERYTHING is controversial.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks JoeBanzai.

I did not know that.

Nice to know that the sandwich I had for lunch today, the bowl of cereal I had this morning and the time that I go to bed tonight are Controversial :)

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Thanks JoeBanzai.

I did not know that.

Nice to know that the sandwich I had for lunch today, the bowl of cereal I had this morning and the time that I go to bed tonight are Controversial :)

Please provide complete details on sandwich, bowl of cereal, including description of bowl, and time you went to bed.

We here at the PC police are already concerned that you listed these events out of chronological order. We are forwarding your post to the timekeeper division.

Be advised, EVERYTHING you say and all actions taken by you will be judged offensive, and you will be found guilty until proven still guilty.

You will be notified of the groups upset with any of your actions.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome.

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, the ad is ambiguous enough in both intent and implication that it can be taken in different ways.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Can't argue......it's been a while. :/ The thing is Dallas didn't give themselves that name. It was the media and I wish they had never done it. It just brings out more haters. Maybe they (media) should ship that name up to N.E.! :D

First NFL game I attended was Cowboys-Redskins at the Cotton Bowl in 1969.

Relatives lived in Dallas and Uncle Eddie was a huge fan.

Living in Detroit you sort of needed a second team to root for and it was the Cowboys. Tom Landry stood for what was right about the game.

Now I don't have a team and watch only college as it still somewhat resembles what the professional game used to be.

Can't say that the kneeling players was the last straw as i turned off the game before Kap became the face of the game.

It wasn't just the pink shoes and wristbands or even the cheating GOAT. Never liked the overtime rule but that was minor. Touchbacks on the 25 yard line and tackle free play were a nuisance but it wasn't either of those.

What has eroded the quality of watching an NFL game was the implementation of replay and the dominating role that it now has. As a commentator once said, you are no longer cheering the 40 yard running play, but the ref decision a couple minutes later as to whether the back got in the endzone. That decision was once instantaneous, but now requires a committee.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Living in Detroit you sort of needed a second team to root for and it was the Cowboys. Tom Landry stood for what was right about the game.

Now I don't have a team and watch only college as it still somewhat resembles what the professional game used to be.

Can't say that the kneeling players was the last straw as i turned off the game before Kap became the face of the game.

It wasn't just the pink shoes and wristbands or even the cheating GOAT. Never liked the overtime rule but that was minor. Touchbacks on the 25 yard line and tackle free play were a nuisance but it wasn't either of those.

What has eroded the quality of watching an NFL game was the implementation of replay and the dominating role that it now has. As a commentator once said, you are no longer cheering the 40 yard running play, but the ref decision a couple minutes later as to whether the back got in the endzone. That decision was once instantaneous, but now requires a committee.

Sorry CS, but I have to disagree with you on replay........it is a great thing that gets the calls right.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Sorry CS, but I have to disagree with you on replay........it is a great thing that gets the calls right.

I don't have a good argument to contest that, Jon. In the blurry days of 19 inch sony crt television, the ref call was good enough. With football players appearing as lifesize on 60 inch screens, 3 inch errors on a touchdown play is immense.

It used to be though, that we cheered the 30 yard bustout run by Emmitt for the touchdown, now we cheer the replay ref 90 seconds later when he confirms the play.

Something is not right about that.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Football is still exciting, the action is there you just have to learn how to operate the remote during commercial breaks and long replays. 🤷‍♂️