Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

FB Season is nigh upon us... Sweetness, The Patriarch and others...

It’s that time of year when my thoughts turn back to FB. This evening I dug out a few of my player sets and did some scanning. I will start with my hands down 2 all time favorite players. I wanted only Mint cards when I built these, and my OCD would not let me compromise. I owned all of these cards as a kid, and each one of these cards brings me back as I look at each set design and remember how I had them organized I’m stacks or later in my Football Card Collectors binder.

Sweetness

Archie

I added a few oddball issues of Arch because whenever I happen across one I pick it up. There was no 1977 issue of Arch because he missed the season with a broken arm, and they were not making any extra cards featuring Saints players back in those days. I plan on posting a few more of these that I have completed as I get to them. With me it is always a work in progress

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Comments

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some high quality player sets! As you know, I love the Staubach's, but your Payton set is just awesome!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome player runs. More!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2019 7:03PM

That 78 Sweetness looks familiar ;) Fantastic runs of some icons (and father of one, perhaps two if you're a Giants fan).

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got distracted by a sub popping. I will post a few more since old Danny boy asked.

Another 4 time SB winner and a guy my Saints could not beat

Joe Cool

This guy did not win the big one but I do not think it detracts from his greatness, he ushered in the new era of offense that we are living in now

Dan the Man

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

AWESOME collection! As a Payton collector, those are a thing of beauty. I am still after a 9 in 76 and 85. I have the full run of cellos except 77.

Thanks for sharing! That was awesome to scroll through this morning. Can't wait for regular season to start!

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding collection. Nothing like looking over a complete run of cards of a favorite player.

• Options

Thanks guys. I will add one more for now. He is one of the guys I started with. I actually have 2 different runs of him. I’ll start with one I did in 2002 a week before my first child was born I met Dorsett and got this 8x10 signed. I decided to frame all the Topps cards of him I had in Cowboys uniform around it. Well before I began submitting cards to PSA

That in turn led me down this path

Tony D

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2019 9:48AM

Thank you for sharing, as a kid growing up in Detroit in the 1970's, Payton was such a legend and as I grew older I began to learn what a great man he was as well.

Just curious, what is your favorite FB design from the 1970's and 1980's?

Edited to add: Also, which player is your favorite, I am guessing Sweetness from your icon?

• Options

@detroitfan2 said:
    Thank you for sharing, as a kid growing up in Detroit in the 1970's, Payton was such a legend and as I grew older I began to learn what a great man he was as well.

Just curious, what is your favorite FB design from the 1970's and 1980's?

That is a hard question. I really like 71 but have more nostalgia associated with 78 and 79. 82 and 84 are my two favorites of the 80s. 82 simply because they got logos back

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

The framed Dorsett piece is incredible!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach