Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2000 Football "Investment".... Opinions Wanted

Posted this on Net54 Football Forum hoping for a response but I guess everyone there is sleeping so I'll give it a shot here.

I am not typically one to consider what I collect to be investments even though the cards have value. I do it for the enjoyment and if they hold value in the years to come, even better! But, going against my better judgement, I was considering setting back some 2000 football. While I know that the prices are already high, I'm questioning the upside/downside of unopened boxes/cases over say the next 10 years. I have the opportunity to pick up a sealed case of 2000 Bowman Chrome football which would be more per box than just buying individual boxes or possibly buying some individual boxes of 2000 SP Authentic football. With Brady at the end of his career...or not....seems like he could play until he's 50, my thought is that they still have a lot of upside potential. I could be wrong. Breakers are still busting them and like with any unopened material, the amount available will only dwindle in the future.
So, just looking for some thoughts/opinions on whether you think either might be a good investment and if so, which way to go.
Thanks!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options

Buy boxes/cases of any 2000 Football product fairly priced and you should be golden. Don't over think it. When Brady makes the HOF, you will be glad you did.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Oh, without a doubt a good investment.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right in my wheelhouse!

I love 2000 football boxes and have at least a dozen stored away for later. The prices have skyrocketed so I don't know if there is another run left unless he wins #7, retires, runs for President, and wins.

There are a little over 100 rookies in the set. With only 96 cards per box and no other players of note to collect, the odds of pulling even a base Brady are very low. That will limit the upside. If you are looking to invest, you may want to look at a lower cost box that has Brady in a Patriots uniform (MVP?, Ultimate Victory? Fleer Tradition).

Right now I'm buying 2004 FB Boxes when I come across them at decent price. 3 future HOF QBs, 1 HOF WR, and a lot of more mid-level rookies that bring in a few bucks.

Mike
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    Right in my wheelhouse!

I love 2000 football boxes and have at least a dozen stored away for later. The prices have skyrocketed so I don't know if there is another run left unless he wins #7, retires, runs for President, and wins.

There are a little over 100 rookies in the set. With only 96 cards per box and no other players of note to collect, the odds of pulling even a base Brady are very low. That will limit the upside. If you are looking to invest, you may want to look at a lower cost box that has Brady in a Patriots uniform (MVP?, Ultimate Victory? Fleer Tradition).

Right now I'm buying 2004 FB Boxes when I come across them at decent price. 3 future HOF QBs, 1 HOF WR, and a lot of more mid-level rookies that bring in a few bucks.

I guess I look at 93 SP baseball and there is nothing in there except Jeter of value and being a foil card the odds of finding a really high grade one is low. That being said, those have nearly doubled in price in the last year. Granted, it's his HOF year coming up. But, Brady is most likely the greatest QB to ever play the game(people can argue that fact all day or whether they like him or not) and that can't really be said for Jeter. I just have to figure there would be another big spike when he hits the hall and at that time there will be even fewer unopened packs/boxes around.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@ndleo said:
    Right in my wheelhouse!

I guess I look at 93 SP baseball and there is nothing in there except Jeter of value and being a foil card the odds of finding a really high grade one is low. That being said, those have nearly doubled in price in the last year. Granted, it's his HOF year coming up. But, Brady is most likely the greatest QB to ever play the game(people can argue that fact all day or whether they like him or not) and that can't really be said for Jeter. I just have to figure there would be another big spike when he hits the hall and at that time there will be even fewer unopened packs/boxes around.

I think 1993 SP is due to pack ripping. I don't see anyone ripping Bowman Chrome 2000 or Brady RC wax though really. 1993 SP is extremely popular for youtube rippage.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2019 12:13PM

The flaw in the 1993 SP comparison is that the box has 288 cards and the set has 290 cards. I don't know if the Jeter RCs were shortprinted but the odds to pull a Jeter seem pretty good for a box.

I haven't opened up a 2000 Bowman Chrome FB in a while but I think the rookies are shortprinted. Weren't they like 1 per pack? The rookie checklist has 105 cards, so even in a case break I would venture the total number of Bradys are less than 5. I know you plan to sit on the case so it may not matter to you but the inherent value of the box is Brady.

I doubt the prices will go down and you could probably sell the boxes for more than you paid, but the big gains have already been made. These BC boxes were like $250 just 5 years ago and there were plenty of them out there.

Mike
  • Options

Also the Football HOF doesn't have the same spike as Baseball HOF. No one really writes articles about it or talks about it on sports radio.

Mike
  • Options

All good info to have guys. I really appreciate the info and opinions. The Jeter was just going thru my mind as a comparison and I know there's a lot of differences. Not really being into modern football, I wasn't aware of the distribution of the cards in the packs. I do see that VB will have some 2000 boxes break from time to time. Still welcome any viewpoints or opinions. Pretty interesting topic!!!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really missed the boat on Brady, I remember back when his cards and Autos were considered junk at tables 😩

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2019 5:52PM

If you have less than 200 LOLs, I ignore your posts. Dang serious people ;)

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    If you have less than 200 LOLs, I ignore your posts. Dang serious people ;)

I just made it then!!

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    @ndleo ....Im trying like hell to get you to 25 LOL''s and another badge of PSA forum courage! If someone else who reads this can pop your LOL button we can usher in a long time coming symbol of forum excellence....whoever does it ...I'll hit them up with a plug as well. You have been a forum member since 2001 for the LOVE OF PETE and have gotten 24 LOL's ~lets make it happen.

I feel so honored! I didn't even know that was a thing. As I get older and reflect on my nearly 20 year membership on this board I am thankful that it brought back me back into the hobby. I would not have moved into unopened if it wasn't for this board.

I joined the Blowout forum a little a while ago since all the action has been coming from over there. But even though is she isn't as flashy as other boards, or as a pretty as she used to be, and sometimes she gets on my nerves. she's my CU board and I'm sticking with her.

Mike