Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1944 Netherlands 10 Cents - Can I get some information and maybe a grade please??

Found this coin while going through my Dad's WWII coins and currency. This is one of the first ones I pulled out. Can I get some help please?

Thanks in advance

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is something about the person on the coin .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelmina_of_the_Netherlands

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 5:07PM

XF/AU - Not valuable. Look up the country and date on the Internet. I'd keep it as a memory of your dad.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'm drunk, but Krause says the 1944 D Mint marked coin is valuable.

@Insider2 said:
    XF/AU - Not valuable. Look up the country and date on the Internet. I'd keep it as a memory of your dad.

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Well I don’t drink Lol. What does valuable mean??

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    edited August 18, 2019 5:21PM

Surprisingly valuable. I will try to take a photo of the page.

• Options

Holy Moly!!
    What do think the grade is?

• Options

Well they didn’t melt this one!!

• Options
    edited August 18, 2019 5:30PM

Perhaps it is a "P" mintmark. Perhaps it is a "D". Not easy to find a photo of a "D" mintmarked coin, although if it is a "P" it is oddly stylized.

I wouldn't let the coin get too far away until we know more.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 5:30PM

Thanks, :( for the correction! LOL. I'm truly sorry for not looking this up for the OP. GI's brought all sorts of common coins back to the states. I'll bet your Dad had no idea this coin was a real "keeper" at the time.

• Options

Yes he probably didn’t but he’s long passed now.

• Options

Well, don't spend the funds quite yet, it's iffy...

http://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4114

• Options

What about this??

• Options
    edited August 18, 2019 5:54PM

Don't know. Don't know what the "D" is supposed to look like and don't know the level of expertise of that seller.

I do heartily apologize for several egregious rips of what may be copyrighted stuff:

It would appear that somebody has slabbed one...

• Options

Here’s what NGC has for a “P”

Crappy picture on their site

• Options

Well the slabbed one looks more like a D

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

The OP's coin is the P mint in VF/EF condition.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

Thanks for all the help guys. A little excitement for a Sunday night never hurt.

DiggerJim

• Options

@DiggerJim said:

What about this??

And NGC has the pictures all wrong for these. The picture for the “D” is clearly a “P”

DiggerJim

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a P!

• Options

Yes I know but look at the description above her head it says “1944-D”.
    That’s what started all this. The picture doesn’t match the description!!

• Options

On the NGC screenshot

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't blame NGC, it's 'Krause-powered'. And Krause is accident prone, and for these will often use a 'representative photo'. All that said, it does unfortunately look like a stylized P rather than a D.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume that nearly the entire D mintage was melted for a reason - perhaps they never left the Denver Mint (or at least the US)?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a big heap of these maybe 100 . Ok its a very small heap :D

They seem dangerously small , a tiny hole in your pocket and you would be skint.

Precisely the size of a gold dollar

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2024 6:36AM

I have had one of these little coins since the 1960's when I visited many California coin shows and looked through coin dealer foreign coin boxes.

Netherlands 10 cents 1944-P (Philadelphia)
    Silver, 15 mm, 1.4 gm

Does anyone know the reason that the Denver issue of 25,400,000 were not issued or how the surviving specimens left the mint?

It seems like an interesting numismatic story.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing as how the 1945 P issue is less than common (based on the noted value vs. mintage, it looks like a bunch of them were melted, too), I'd think a decision was made after the Denver issues were struck that there was no need for them.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

why did they make these at all? 1944 maybe but 42 and 43 doesn't make sense.

Most of mine are east indies or curacao . If those places were free during the war generally I understand why the us minted coins for them , with the parent country under occupation.