Home Sports Talk
Options

Trevor Bauer vs. The New York Yankees.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 18, 2019 12:01PM in Sports Talk

So, I thought I would ask the esteemed forum membership a question about the events of yesterday with a contrast of events from a few weeks ago.

Everyone in the sporting world knows about Bauer's hissy fit, the way he threw a ball into the Bleachers out of frustration. We discussed it here and mostly agreed it was childish behavior and it looks like he paid a price for it. For a few days it seemed many fans around MLB were really disgusted and outraged by it.

I don't totally disagree with that sentiment.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon in Yankee Stadium and an event I haven't really heard much said about. In fact, I'll assume many don't even know what happened. In a nutshell: During the 6th inning Cameron Maybin was called out on strikes by Triple-A/Rookie umpire Ben May. He discussed it at the plate for a few seconds and then went to the dugout. After a moment Yankees Manager Aaron Boone charged out of the dugout to confront Umpire May and then returened to the bench but shouting kept coming from other Yankees with the 2nd Base Umpire/Crew Chief trying to keep things under control as he walked towards the plate.

Boone came at May again and was ejected, Brett Gardner grabbed a bat and pounded on the dugout roof till he was ejected and other members of the Yankees, some of whom were reportedly not supposed to be in the dugout, also joined in with encouragement from fans seated nearby.

This marks the 3rd time in less than a month that the Yankees have tried to "Bully" a Minor League Umpire who is being used for whatever reason. Remember, this all over something that happens countless times in every game played every day --- a close pitch being called as a strike. Clearly it's intimidation by the Yankees and pretty Bush League at that. Why don't they challenge any other Umpires, why doesn't MLB choose to do anything about it(3rd time in a month) and why has the media and fans turned a blind eye and deaf ear to it??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like several should have been ejected. This could ALL....key word "ALL" be a thing of the past if they would go to the computer calling balls and strikes!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had ZERO problems with Bauer throwing the ball out of the stadium, I also think anyone who was bothered by it is a freaking loser. That being said, I can’t say I have a problem with the Yankees trying to bully this guy either, they are looking for an advantage to win. Hey if the Ump can’t handle it then go back to the minors right? 🤷‍♂️

• Options

perk, you realize that one of the things that is typically an automatic ejection is arguing balls and strikes. discussing it is OK but this was over the top.

• Options

@keets said:
    perk, you realize that one of the things that is typically an automatic ejection is arguing balls and strikes. discussing it is OK but this was over the top.

That’s on the Ump, if he was smart and worth his salt as an Ump then he should have just gone on a rampage ejecting these punks until they stopped acting up. Pretty simple solution to the situation right?

• Options

so I suppose you are OK if, in the NFL, a tactic such as this is used against the Woman/Women who are Officials?? I don't share that opinion but I guess it's one some hold.

the opinion I hold is that it would have been entirely reasonable for that Umpire to have given the heave-ho to a large number of players, but then guys like you would think he'd gone overboard

• Options

Sounds like several should have been ejected. This could ALL....key word "ALL" be a thing of the past if they would go to the computer calling balls and strikes!

I hope that's never done, it would ruin the game and kill entertainment like the linked video. I wonder why Boone and Gardner only do this crap at home. :p

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got no skin in this game, but that was some gosh awful umpiring.

Even worse was that first pitch called strike to the next batter. Absolutely pathetic.

• Options
    edited August 18, 2019 1:41PM

you'll get no argument from me on the calls but there is stuff like that in every game that results in nothing.

it's peculiar too that the Yankees do stuff like this. I understand voicing disagreement and getting the fans riled up, but the Team wins two out of three and really doesn't need to do stuff like that. you think they were good enough and confident in their ability that they'd be above BS, but I guess not.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

baseball is pretty boring 99% of the time. If a guy stabbed an ump over a bad call I might be ok with it.

• Options

:)

• Options

@keets said:
    so I suppose you are OK if, in the NFL, a tactic such as this is used against the Woman/Women who are Officials?? I don't share that opinion but I guess it's one some hold.

the opinion I hold is that it would have been entirely reasonable for that Umpire to have given the heave-ho to a large number of players, but then guys like you would think he'd gone overboard

You and I need to sit down and have a beer or two or three. I cannot figure you out and you throw curve balls at me relentlessly. I said -if you read my post- that this situation is on the Ump and he should have just gone on a rampage ejecting these punks until they stopped acting like idiots. Then you tell me that guys like me would say he went overboard if he did that? I’m confused. I can’t tell if your a liberal or a Dont thread on me type of guy like myself. Your Gasden Flag don’t mean a thing with some of the things you post

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone has a bad day now and then or misses a call once in a while or is just not that good. Arguing balls and strikes can get you ejected. Perhaps you should get ejected a bit earlier.

I am not entertained by some of the over the top displeasure shown over players/managers being unhappy about calls. A little bit is fine, but it goes too far much of the time.

@perkdog said:
    I had ZERO problems with Bauer throwing the ball out of the stadium, I also think anyone who was bothered by it is a freaking loser. That being said, I can’t say I have a problem with the Yankees trying to bully this guy either, they are looking for an advantage to win. Hey if the Ump can’t handle it then go back to the minors right? 🤷‍♂️

Bauer threw two balls, not one. I am a little bothered by it. How many would he have to throw before it bugged you?

@perkdog said:

@keets said:

That’s on the Ump, if he was smart and worth his salt as an Ump then he should have just gone on a rampage ejecting these punks until they stopped acting up. Pretty simple solution to the situation right?

I would have calmly tossed them out one at a time until order was restored. The ump is screwed if he makes a bad call, he can't really go back and say "Oops I guess that was a ball". Managers and players can get their point across without going overboard.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai Question #1 answer is if he missed and tried a 3rd time I would have laughed s little. Nothing these guys do actually “Bothers” me. Question #2 no matter how I answer it I guess Keets or yourself might question it. lol

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 2:54PM

It was actually a great pitch Gardner struck out on. It was turning toward the plate like crazy, Gardner
    just gave up on it early. Wish he would have gone to the dugout and threw his helmet and it ricocheted
    and hit him in the head like he did a few months ago

The catcher set up inside before the pitch came and the pitcher hit his mitt exactly, pure perfection.
    Right on the corner of the plate, strike three. Yanks shouldn't have been complaining at all.

• Options

Keets - Why in the name of humanity would you not want the balls & strikes called correctly by the computer. It's maddening to me to see calls called wrong. Would you want to do away with instant replay in the NFL and not get the calls right!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    @JoeBanzai Question #1 answer is if he missed and tried a 3rd time I would have laughed s little. Nothing these guys do actually “Bothers” me. Question #2 no matter how I answer it I guess Keets or yourself might question it. lol

It only bothers me a little. Just a Coke/Pepsi sort of thing?

I like it when the players take things a little more in stride "cool" as it were. A little emotion in a big moment is fine, but sometimes these guys just look like idiots.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

I like it when the players take things a little more in stride "cool" as it were. A little emotion in a big moment is fine, but sometimes these guys just look like idiots.

Fair enough Bud 🍻

• Options

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

Fair enough Bud 🍻

I agree. Go to the kicka$$ guitar thread and play my video. That will get you back into the right frame of mind. B)

• Options

No offense to the Yankees, but they have around a 10 game lead with the best record in MLB.

Yes the ump sucked, really sucked...but with the best record in MLB and a 10 game lead, it does seem a bit peculiar, the manager getting this enraged over an incident such as this.

Perhaps the manager doesn't want the players to get complacent...I don't know.

• Options

Would you want to do away with instant replay in the NFL and not get the calls right.

I like instant replay in the NFL but I think we have it as a reactionary kind of thing. Jon, your're old enough to remember when the Officials in the NFL called penalties based on much stricter parameters than they have today. now, too much is a "judgement" call by an Official. what has happened over the years is that each and every play is shown multiple times as the next play is waiting to happen, from every imaginable angle, and as a result the integrity of the Officials and the NFL is at stake with each call.

add to that the way players make pleas for a call on the field and the Refs are screwed, they have to have Instant Replay. in today's game of the NFL the fans in the Stadium are able to watch every replay on high-definition 100 foot screens!! my viewpoint is that the NFL instituted it to protect the Refs. that's how the cal last January worked out.

in MLB the game moves too fast from pitch-to-pitch for any replay system to work and from a technological point I don't think a strike-zone could be done with a computer. things today on our TV screens are a little distorted with the "box" and the TV networks are really making Umpires look bad with the overhead cameras. most players are in agreement with each other on Umpires, they know that they each have a little different way of calling strikes. they only want consistency throughout a game and from batter to batter and with each Team.

I have watched for decades and don't recall seeing favoritism by Umpires.most of them call pitches the same from the beginning of a game to the end.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to do away with instant replay in the NFL . It takes too long , it leads to stupid tortuous decisions and adds nothing to my viewing . If they literally got every single call wrong it wouldn't hurt me any . I don't own an NFL team and while I'm a fan , it turns out if my team loses a game it doesn't actually harm me.

In fact when the patriots were 2-14 I watched less games and got more fresh air on Sundays which is actually much better overall for my health.

Lets watch a slowed down version of a single play for 15 minutes and make the wrong call anyway. Wooo Hoo instant replay

• Options

Sorry guys I want the calls to be correct. @keets you mentioned the NFL doing instant replay because the fans can see what really happened on the slomo screen. Well when you watch a MLB game the ball is shown where it was pitched and you as a fan can see how many the upms miss. We are not talking replays on computer calling balls & strikes......just letting the computer make the call. The home plate umpire would just be for plays at the plate. This would be a HUGE improvement!

• Options

@1970s said:
    Rats. Based on the title, I was looking forward to a steel cage match between Trevor Bauer and the NY Yankees. I only got a cage match between Perk and Keets instead. Now, back to Dimeman's post in the kick a$$ thread.

Me and Keets took it to PM and ironed it out 😂👍

• Options

:)

• Options

So now that the engagement has been announced, when is the wedding?

;)

• Options

I'm all in for an elopement. :p

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    No offense to the Yankees, but they have around a 10 game lead with the best record in MLB.

Yes the ump sucked, really sucked...but with the best record in MLB and a 10 game lead, it does seem a bit peculiar, the manager getting this enraged over an incident such as this.

Savages bro.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

@softparade said:

@stevek said:

Savages bro.

I like it. Regardless if your up 10 games or not you play every game like you need a win to make the playoffs. BUT once you clinch home field I’m very against being Belichick and playing key players down to the last second of a meaningless game

• Options

this attitude is a sensitive one in sports because everyone plays everyone again sometime, and players/coaches have long memories.

I am of the attitude that a Team and/or a player should push and keep trying to score. I have seen too many NFL games that looked like they were over, only to see the "loser" mount a comeback that either wins the game or scares the crap out of the other Team. seen the same thing in MLB, Teams scoring 5-6-7-8 runs in the final innings of a game that the other Team thought was over.

never let up, just don't taunt the opponent.

we see that sort of thing all the time in CFB, scores like 65-3. that's a little different, though, with the playoff format the way it is the better Teams are obliged to run things up and everyone knows it. just try not to get in the way of the runaway train!!!