Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Any Winnings From Stacks-Bowers? Here Is A Nice One: 1982 West African States 5,000 Francs

I've not seen any postings on coins from their latest World Coin Auctions at the ANA.
Here's mine, a rare coin in the gold format. It was the first I have seen for sale in almost 15 years, despite looking. I like the design which is available in silver.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was the underbidder on a nice Spanish colonial 8 Reales.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had Andy place an absentee bid for me on a lot that was 30% over the high range of the estimate. I thought it was a sold bid and had a high probability of winning. To my dismay, the bidding flew past my max within seconds of the lot going live and i had a choice to make. History will be the judge if my choice was correct, but i did go after it hard and end-up winning the coin in question.

It's an 1819 Mexico 8 Reales in PCGS64. For those familiar with the Mexico portrait series, for some reason 1817-1821 are brutally tough in nice original 62 or better grades. For example, at PCGS the next highest graded coin is a bright lustrous 62+ and the one after it is a single 58. PCGS only certified 15 of this year, though. NGC has a much larger sample of certified 1819's - 57 coins. Single highest is a 63 with 8 62s, 1 61, 2 60s, 10 58s. That single MS63 is in Dr Smith's set across the street with satin-like sheen over relatively bright surfaces. That example was struck on an uneven planchet, resulting in 2 weakly struck areas near the legend. I've also tracked a number of NGC 62's over the years and have not seen anything that would make me want to add them to my collection.

Anywho, after all the typing, here's the pcgs glamour shot and an auction slab obverse image:

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very pretty coin there! Maybe it's just me, but such coins almost speak to me (or at least I imagine it so). For that reason, I sometimes like higher end circulated pieces that retain the essential details elements but have "character" or "soul".

OK, that may be pushing it a little...

I bid on my own and had to go 250% high estimate (but slightly lower than my max) for the OP coin.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the coin @TwoKopeiki !!!