Home Sports Talk
Options

Alibaba co-founder Tsai will buy full control of NBA Nets

stevekstevek Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://sports.yahoo.com/alibaba-co-founder-tsai-buy-full-control-nba-141423610--nba.html

Alibaba co-founder Tsai will buy full control of NBA Nets

New York (AFP) - Joseph Tsai, co-founder of Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba, has made a deal to purchase full control of the NBA's Brooklyn Nets from Russian businessman Mikhail Prokhorov, the club announced Friday.

The Nets said Prokhorov has made an agreement with the Taiwanese-Canadian businessman to sell the Barclays Center arena and his 51 percent controling interest in the Nets.

Comments

• Options

I'm just a bit confused over this.

The counterfeit Chinese made junk, specifically fake Brooklyn Nets jerseys, hats, etc, always rampantly being offered on Alibaba, will all this garbage now no longer be considered counterfeit?

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    I'm wondering why he only bought full control of the Nets, but not control of the rims too.

because LeBron owns them.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now the players will have a third flag to despise.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see a future where professional basketball expands globally even faster and farther than it has already. This will mean that NBA teams will see more and more ownership that extends beyond the borders of the USA. As ownership of NBA franchises go global, so will management, labor and the business of basketball.

When that becomes more of a reality, the globalization of the professional game will create endless opportunities for players on NBA rosters to make money, off the court, through basketball related activities and ventures that cross national boundaries.

Eventually people located in the USA who complain about the status quo in sports and society (how unfair things are to non 1%rs; and how the history of North America since 1492 has been nothing other than the exploitation of the 99% by the 1% leading to the terrible state of things as they are today) will end up being ignored and laughed at; because everyone will be making money and participating in business deals around the globe centered around hoops.

The same thing will happen in other sports and in non sports areas of human endeavor.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad move letting foreign owners in ANY of our business!

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to across the pond soccer owner/management v1.1

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Bad move letting foreign owners in ANY of our business!

I'm not familiar at all with American owners of foreign sports teams. But i'd have to think there are a decent number of examples.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

NBA teams already have foreign ownership, for a hot minute if memory serves.

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    NBA teams already have foreign ownership, for a hot minute if memory serves.

With more and more states legalizing sports gambling, there are going to be whales with deep pockets, nationally and internationally, looking to buy American sports teams.

There will definitely be obscene amounts of money paid for American sports teams for these whales to get in on the action of potentially obscene amounts of profits to be made.

I just read where the conservative state of North Carolina just legalized sports betting. I'm not sure if Utah will ever do it, but eventually i think most states are likely going to.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭