Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay Managed Payments

Is this good or bad? Are you in or out?

Comments

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is a 2.7 percent processing fee for managed payments, I will definitely pass

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

So this is just another way for ebay to keep more of your money.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

yep, their is also a 25 cent listing payments fee per auction which will be waived though Sept. 30th, on oct. 1st you pay that fee also

• Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    there is a 2.7 percent processing fee for managed payments, I will definitely pass

Do we have a choice?

**All eBay sellers will progressively be required to transition to managed payments in the coming months. **

From a email I rec'd 5 minutes ago.....

Dear Seller:

Our records indicate you have been previously invited to managed payments - eBay’s simplified seller experience to sell and get paid. Based on our review of your account, the features and tools you use on eBay are fully compatible with managed payments. To benefit from the new payments experience early, register at ebay.com/paymentsregistration. All eBay sellers will progressively be required to transition to managed payments in the coming months.

Managed payments offers more ways for buyers to pay with credit, debit and gift cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal and PayPal Credit. Payouts will be automatically deposited to your bank account. Sellers receive consolidated reports, simplified seller protections, one monthly bill for all fees, and access to dedicated customer support. New features include a single unique number from order initiation to payout, and the ability to issue partial or full refunds to buyers, directly on eBay or via a third-party platform. Sellers who have already joined report high satisfaction and recommend managed payments to other sellers. To learn more about managed payments, visit ebay.com/payments.

Signing up now will allow you to choose the best time to join for your business, and avail of any existing promotions. These include the Summer Sign Up program available till August 31, 2019 and the $0 per listing payments fee through September 30, 2019. Please check your email account or Messages on My eBay for more details.

Register for managed payments at ebay.com/paymentsregistration.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:

Isn't Paypal 2.9% + $0.30?

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

So, "managed payments" is a fancy way for them to force us into accepting other forms of payment? I have a problem if they expect everyone to sign up for all those different payment methods...I don't have any intention of signing up for google pay, apple pay, etc. Will all of those payment options be inter-twined? Like if the buyer has google pay and pays to my paypal, I'm fine with that.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also received that email today from Ebay.

Just scanned over it, haven't absorbed it yet.

I also sell on Amazon and for around the past six months or so, they've offered select customers net 30 day terms. Which means they hold my earnings on these particular customers until the customer pays. I think though after around 45 days, if the customer doesn't pay, then Amazon stills pays the seller.

Look for Ebay to be doing this Amazon thing one of these days. You may have to wait up to 45 days to get your money. And it's either take it or leave it, right? 😒

• Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@coinpalice said:

Isn't Paypal 2.9% + $0.30?

Depends on if you use micropayments or not. Micropayments is 5% + $0.05. I use it for payments under $12, and the standard paypal for payments over $12. Hope ebay has a similar structure for small amounts or cheap items are dead.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will pass regardless of the terms since I do not trust ebay. When was the last time they did anything small seller friendly?

As for forcing us to use their payment system, I don't know if that will fly for sellers already established on ebay. Messing with how people get paid is one sure way to get the online mob to protest.

Mike
  • Options

Got the same email. I do not like being forced to accept different payments. I don't like to be forced to do anything, LOL. I am perfectly happy with PP and only having my money in one place and knowing where it is. Sounds like this could really turn into a nightmare.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is like your employer telling you which bank to use for your direct deposit.

Mike
  • Options

The email states that sellers that have already switched are giving it rave reviews. I highly doubt this. Anyone on here tried it and want to give it a thumbs up?

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    The email states that sellers that have already switched are giving it rave reviews. I highly doubt this. Anyone on here tried it and want to give it a thumbs up?

Agree. Fake news on reviews!

• Options
    edited August 28, 2019 9:01PM

Does anyone have any updates to this? Have you signed up? I got an email today saying I have to sign up by 8/31 to win the $10,000 first prize, LOL. I wonder if someone pays with PP does it go to your PP account or will it now be intercepted by ebay and they will dish it out?

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 9:07AM

I think the answer is.......we do not even know what this is. If it is just a way of receiving more payment options than it is probably fine; but EBAY is not explaining anything other than "You need to sign up quickly". What is the listing payments fee??? I'm hoping that's based on final value?? Not a "listing fee". Again, I don't know any answers to anything regarding this. Are more than 1% of sellers using this??? Would love some factual info. Probably EBAY trying to be sneaky. Unfortunately.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

The PayPal payment transaction fee of 30 cents was assessed on each payment received from the buyer. So if somebody paid for 10 items in a cart or combined invoice with a single payment the seller would be charged one 30 cent payment transaction fee. The downside to that if you ran into an unknowing or uncaring buyer was some people paid for each of those 10 items separately causing the seller to pay the 30 cent fee on each of the 10 payments. When the new Ebay Managed Payments "per listing" fee kicks in it means the seller will be paying 25 cents on each listing that sells. So somebody buying 10 items means the 25 cent fee will be charged 10 items no matter how many payments the buyer makes. This makes no sense when compared to how credit card processing fees are applied to "normal" places of business. If you fill up a cart at a local supermarket with groceries and pay with a credit card the merchant pays a single transaction fee on the whole cart of things plus a couple % on the dollar total. But if Ebay ran the credit card processing they would have Rocco at the checkout counting up the number of items in each cart and charging the merchant the transaction fee on each item leaving the store.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

KbKards,

Thank you. The dark truth is coming out....LOL. Yes, this sure sounds like it will have rave reviews. Tons and tons of sellers are already enjoying the benefits. LOL again.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

At an average of 300-400 pounds each that's not a lot of sellers.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

From eBay's website:

The rollout of managed payments to all eBay sellers will be a multi-year journey and is currently available on a limited, invitation-only basis. By 2021, we expect to transition a majority of our sellers to managed payments.

As we make this transition, eBay will work closely with sellers to ensure that the managed payments experience reflects your needs. We’ll continue to share more details about this process and next steps for sellers as we move forward.

Stay up to date on managed payments here on the Seller Center, connect with your Community, or contact us for questions and feedback at (800) 456-3229.