Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1991 Topps Desert Shield Pack - Rip or Hold?

A while back, I purchased 2 DS packs from an AH. I ripped one and posted it on YouTube earlier this year. I'd kinda like to hold on to the other one but, with the seemingly difficult task to authenticate it, I don't know if it makes sense. With 792 cards in the set, the odds of pulling a star are slim, so what would the board do? (I think I already know, though lol)

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rip, baby, rip!

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Def rip and post.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

No way to sell it because it is impossible to tell it is DS without opening. It is either save for a rainy day to rip or rip now. 99% of us will vote, RIP NOW. Video and post this one too please. And if you could, please link me to your old rip.

Thanks

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rip! And if you hit a Dwight Evans, sell to me!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

+1 for Rip

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

+1 for Rip
    +1 for video and post results :)

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2019 12:41PM

First, rip... always rip!

Seconds, I've always wondered if an X-Ray Spectroscopy analyzer would be able to "Verify" the existence of the foil stamp used on this issue. I'm assuming metal detectors have been tried , but I doubt they are sensitive enough to detect such a small amount of metal.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rip it. You know you want to...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

The only entertainment value to the board is if you rip and post results.
    If you didn't get a star in your first pack, your odds may be better with the 2nd pack.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rip it. You only live once.

Andy

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. And RIP it

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

If there is really no way to authentic the unopened pack, then what choice is there really...…...RIP IT

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

We were very lucky a few years ago that Steve wrapped the packs for a group rip. I wish it was slabbed but this is the next best thing. I don’t think you could ever get fair value for the pack raw. I vote rip it

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are some of the ones from the group rip, it was just before he had the logo on the wrap. For those that opened them found very sharp cards with strong centering. No I am not selling nor ripping! 😂

• Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Save it !

• Options

Seems like the Rips have it! I'll do it when I get home tonight and try to post it tonight or tomorrow. Here's a link to the one I did earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsUO7Wq65X8

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

At least it was an authentic desert shield pack. I’m amazed that no one has figured out a way tell for sure if a pack is dessert shield or not. The knowledge that some collectors have is astonishing. People seem to know how early or late in production a box was from.. different regions.. even sequencing. Do you think it’s just a lack of desert shield unopened for people to compare or did Topps really make impossible to tell?

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanx for sharing Jay.

Mike
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

@eagles33 said:
    At least it was an authentic desert shield pack. I’m amazed that no one has figured out a way tell for sure if a pack is dessert shield or not. The knowledge that some collectors have is astonishing. People seem to know how early or late in production a box was from.. different regions.. even sequencing. Do you think it’s just a lack of desert shield unopened for people to compare or did Topps really make impossible to tell?

I think this is a huge reason that these bbce boxes sell for so much. There really isn't any other way to deem authentic. Years ago a guy on eBay had a full box that he was splitting up. He got good feedback from people that opened them. But I don't see how anyone that bought a single pack from that box could resell it as a desert pack.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Overall the centering was really nice. Neat Mark Grace! And a Frank Robinson to boot. Fun!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed watching that.