Home Sports Talk
Options

'1970s' Ali post got me watching some clips of my favorite fighter. Who's yours?

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not looking to debate rank, etc. Just rehash memories. Plus these threads often teach me something new.

My all-time favorite is Marvelous Marvin Hagler. My Dad really liked him, and boxing in general. My father died when I was 5 in 1981. I continued watching Hagler and boxing as I grew up, but after I married and started my family I lost touch with the current crop of fighters. That was twenty years ago.

When I went back and researched as I got older, I realized that Hagler was truly an all-time great. Every six months or so I will go down the you tube rabbit hole for whatever reason ( yesterday it was @1970s thread) and watch his highlights and the highlights of others.

Who is your favorite, and why?

https://youtu.be/aZ5sHHfIcFI

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019 7:24AM

Of course my favorite fighter is Joe Louis. The great Brown Bomber. Heavyweight champion for years and years and years.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Frazier

• Options
    edited August 13, 2019 7:30AM

@doubledragon said:
    Of course my favorite fighter is Joe Louis. The great Brown Bomber. Heavyweight champion for years and years and years.

https://youtu.be/4q6LmumWHFg

Edited to change video

• Options

I acknowledge Muhammad Ali as the greatest heavyweight boxer of all time.

That being said, Joe Frazier had more class in his pinky finger than Ali had in his entire body.

• Options
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ali. Didn't like his mouth when I was younger. Now I realize it was just an act to get into his opponents head.

Great boxer with a beautiful, graceful style.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hearns. Home town guy. Paid $35 to see him fight hagler on closed circuit. It was a brawl for the ages.

• Options

Joe Banzai is right, Ali used his mouth to get into his opponents head. More often than not, he backed his words up in the ring. Boxing will never be what it used to be.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Hearns. Home town guy. Paid $35 to see him fight hagler on closed circuit. It was a brawl for the ages.

Some people consider Rd 1 of this fight to be the greatest round ever. For those who have never seen it, enjoy....... :Dhttps://youtu.be/3PPhyBUsxaA

• Options

@Coinstartled You mentioning the Hearns/Hagler fight is one of the things I love about this forum - led me to rewatch something amazing. Well worth you $35.

What. A. Brawl!

• Options

Ray Leonard wasn't the most powerful, or biggest fighter, but once you were in the ring with him, he was a nightmare to deal with. I still get chills watching him torment Marvin Hagler. There is a great book about his fight with Hagler entitled "Sorcery at Caesers" written by Steve Marantz.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Ali. Didn't like his mouth when I was younger. Now I realize it was just an act to get into his opponents head.

I don't disagree with that. Frankly, most people at the time understood the "act" while Ali was actively fighting.

However, Ali was an outspoken, highly supportive member of the Nation of Islam, a group for which Louis Farrakhan is currently the leader.

I do acknowledge Ali's boxing skills. However Ali as a person, i simply cannot like anyone associated with a group lead by Louis Farrakhan.

To the best of my knowledge, Ali never disavowed himself from the Nation of Islam.

• Options

@1970s said:

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I don't disagree with that. Frankly, most people at the time understood the "act" while Ali was actively fighting.

However, Ali was an outspoken, highly supportive member of the Nation of Islam, a group for which Louis Farrakhan is currently the leader.

I do acknowledge Ali's boxing skills. However Ali as a person, i simply cannot like anyone associated with a group lead by Louis Farrakhan.

To the best of my knowledge, Ali never disavowed himself from the Nation of Islam.

A simple question for you. Not going to debate it once this question is asked, because people have to enjoy their sports the way they like to.

Here's the question. If someone stated that KC should not take a knee during the national anthem because he should not mix politics with sports, then how can a fan who has your stance with Ail mix politics with sports ?

I don't get the people who say a Curt Schilling should keep his mouth shut, but at the same time, they'll say they don't like TIm Tebow because of his outspoken Christian beliefs ? Seems like this type of fan wants Schilling to keep his mouth shut, but that same fan can voice his opinions about Tebow ? Seems like a double standard.

How come the fan can make opinions on Schilling, but Tim Tebow can't have political or relgious opinions in sports ?

So if you have the right to say you don't like Ali because of his association with the crappy Farrakhan, then Kapernick has the right to say what he doesn't like ? That would only seem fair, correct ? So I guess you side with Kapernick, because he has the right to dislike something just like you have the right to dislike something ? Is that fair, or unfair ?

Like I said. Not looking for a debate. And not looking to put someone down because of their beliefs. Just trying to understand if there is a double standard here, or if there isn't.

Totally open to the fact that I could be wrong here.

Farrakhan's hate for others goes way beyond politics, and that hate is unacceptable to me.

Ali thru his promotion and support of the Nation of Islam, associated himself with that hate. That is a cold hard fact. Doesn't matter to me whatever else Ali did such as carrying the Olympic torch, doing some charity events, being friends with Billy Crystal, etc.

Anyone wishing to whitewash that Nation of Islam "blemish" from Ali's life, and admire him for the rest of it, well then that's their prerogative. I realize there are many out there who do precisely that.

• Options
    edited August 13, 2019 1:12PM

It might be a bit early, but I think I can say this for sure.. :D

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Roberto Duran. The only boxer to beat Sugar Ray in his prime. And he would've beaten him again if he wouldn't had partied and stayed in shape.

He was before my time, but Marciano was the greatest heavyweight ever pound for pound. Guy was a beast.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ali......because he was the best boxer ever. I won't get in to the muslim thing. I want to stay here. ;)B)