Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cooperstown, NY Area Card Shops

Going to be making a trip to Williamsport, PA and the Baseball Hall of Fame this weekend.
Any sports card shops worth stopping at around the area?

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

Main St Cooperstown is full of shops: cards, hats, memorabilia, etc. Not a lot of deals to be found, but fun to shop.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible prices in every single shop

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to the HOF about 4 yrs ago.

In fact, I met David aka craig44 and his dad at the museum.

I went into a few shops and a little mall area where people were selling off tables - my overall impression? Expensive.

Mike
  • Options
    JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Yikes

Any shops in Williamsport, PA or even Binghamton, NY?

-Collecting anything vintage
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimMeant said:
    Yikes

Any shops in Williamsport, PA or even Binghamton, NY?

If you're going to the HOF anyways Jim - I'd walk around and look - don't cost nuthin to look?

It was busy when I went since it was induction weekend.

Doesn't hurt to ask for a discount. How about at the end of the day? If they've had a bad day? They may be more in the mood to deal?

Mike
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I went last year for the firs time ever. There were 2 that I would recommend from a standpoint of selection beyond what you'd expect from being in Cooperstown. Yastrzemski Sports and Baseball Nostalgia. Of course, both shops had selections of older and oddball stuff and both had decent pricing on some things as well. The other shops I entered were either way overpriced or just showing off the hottest/newest or stocked with basic merchandise everyone else was selling.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

My experience from my two visits to Cooperstown is that the local card and memorabilia shops in town are tourist traps from yell.

In one shop, they had it hanging on the wall with a sticker price of $1,500 a poster of Mantle and Maris with two of the worst fake signatures I have ever seen.

If you want some mementos of Cooperstown, I would suggest just spending a few dollars at the Hall of Fame gift shop, and leave it at that.

As far as the Hall itself - FANTASTIC. Loved every second I was in there.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2019 2:02AM

When I went to the hall when I was 12, I picked up a homemade “pack” of about 12-15 T206 cards from a shop for about $20 IIRC. Terrible condition, but at least one hall of famer and in hindsight a great buy.

I went again last summer with my boy. There was nothing even approaching that kind of deal in the shops.

It seemed to me they were looking for the nostalgia of the area to spark big dollar impulse buys.