Home Sports Talk
Options

Cleveland Browns 2019 will pan out how .........?

MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2019 Cleveland Browns are going to be the NY Yankees this season in terms of coverage, analysis and OVER paralysis.....what do you think of them? I think (9-7)-(10-6) is realistic with all of their talent at every critical position....Im not crazy about their ownership, coaching and potentially volatile chemistry......IF they fall flat on their faces I think it wont get worse than (7-9) or (8-8)..... just too many no. 1 picks on that team.

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at their schedule I can see 11-5 or 10-6.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see them winning their Division with Pittsburgh dismantled and nobody else that good in that Division.

Who knows. It usually takes at least 4 weeks into the season to judge teams. On paper doesn't mean squat.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huge let down from all the hype, I mean everyone is thinking they are a playoff team before the season even starts. I say 9-7 possible wildcard

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super Bowl Champs.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Cleveland Browns
    2019 Win Total: 9 (over +100/under -120)

9-7 sounds about right to me. They have enough talent at the skill positions to make big plays, and their defense looked to be improving at the end of last year. They are capable of getting pressure on opposing offenses and force enough turnovers to swing a few games. Njoku should have more room to operate with the addition of OBJ to the offense.

Also to consider, most every team in the NFL is going to circle the hype train on their calendar. Plus they look pretty thin at some back-up positions, especially the o-line. It's hard to keep a healthy o-line for an entire season, and if you lose a couple guys~ well then you can't run as many of those deep routes without getting your quarterback killed. So for those reasons I think they are going to drop some close ones after going through the physical battles with the Steelers and Ravens. They may beat those teams, but they are going to pay a physical price up front that will cost them later.

It looks like Vegas has their true win total at 8.5 as the under is -120. I think it's going to be a push at 9-7. I have seen enough young teams win a few a games in a row, get a big head hearing how great they are, and then drop a game or two they should have won. Also I don't know if this team has the right kind of veteran leadership to pull everybody together, and keep things on track when things take a turn for the worse. The personalities on this team seem like the type to lash out and complain rather than getting back to the fundamentals and keeping everyone on assignment. So for those reasons I think they are going to drop a couple they should have won and instead of going an impressive 11-5, wind up with a respectable 9-7

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Browns win their division easily. 10-6. 11-5. Too much talent to waste. Top 10 defense with the absolutely best receiving corps in football. Playoff experience this year and then 3-5 years to a SB. Let’s revisit this year end.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

one thing overlooked in the NFL is close games. in 2018 the Browns lost six games by four points or less, had one tie and played in three OT games. it isn't unreasonable to consider that instead of 7-8-1 they could have been 9-7 or better. but that's all hindsight and the season is what it was. my only point is that to me, and I watched all the games entirely, they looked better than their record indicated.

that was part of the optimism fans felt after the season ended and Cleveland had a good off-season.

Im not crazy about their ownership, coaching and potentially volatile chemistry

General Manager John Dorsey is the real deal unlike his predecessor from about a decade ago who also had a Green Bay connection, Mike Holmgren. what a douche-bag he was, that guy personally set the franchise back five years. the HC has strong Alabama ties where they learn how to do it right(it hurts to admit that) so he will make mistakes but probably not in what his philosophy about coaching is. as for the players, they have been building for this season for awhile and seem capable of being solid in all aspects of the game.

I don't know what to expect, really. they have the potential to be really explosive. Like Dimeman said, the talent "on paper" doesn't mean anything if it doesn't translate to the field, but they have a mix of younger guys with 3-4-5 years experience and some good Rookies with a sprinkling of Veterans.

I can see them winning 9-10 games and hope there are no serious, major player injuries. right now all the attention is directed at the Offense because of Mayfield, Beckham and Hunt, but the Defense will cause some problems around the League. watch out for the Cleveland D. B)

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Browns win their division easily. 10-6. 11-5. Too much talent to waste. Top 10 defense with the absolutely best receiving corps in football. Playoff experience this year and then 3-5 years to a SB. Let’s revisit this year end.

Not sure about the best receiving corps in football.
    The Chiefs aren't too shabby with Tyreek, Kelce, a healthy Sammy Watkins and rookie Mecole Hardman who
    is almost as fast as Tyreek, but who should start out returning kickoffs and punts and gradually work into the offense.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@Darin said:

@2dueces said:

Not sure about the best receiving corps in football.
    The Chiefs aren't too shabby with Tyreek, Kelce, a healthy Sammy Watkins and rookie Mecole Hardman who
    is almost as fast as Tyreek, but who should start out returning kickoffs and punts and gradually work into the offense.

I guess he is talking about that dirtbag they got from the Giants! LOL! He will be more of a distraction than help!

• Options

Jon, sometimes a change of scenery helps. two players who recently changed Teams highlight that, Beckham and Antonio Brown. the former has been quieter and low-key while the latter has seemed to double-down on eccentricity. this is just the pre-season so I would give both players at least the chance to settle in and start to play.

• Options

@keets said:
    Jon, sometimes a change of scenery helps. two players who recently changed Teams highlight that, Beckham and Antonio Brown. the former has been quieter and low-key while the latter has seemed to double-down on eccentricity. this is just the pre-season so I would give both players at least the chance to settle in and start to play.

Just going by his antics in NY......that's all.

• Options

yeah, I know. when he was in NY he seemed to go out of his way to find the spotlight, so far he has avoided it but it has still tried to track him down. once a reputation has been established it can be hard to change two things --- your own actions and the public perception of you. I know he is quite talented, I just hope he gets his personal life turned around.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

i predict 10-6 and a playoff berth for the Brownies

make or miss, it's going to be the most exciting team they've fielded in eons

• Options

My buddy from New Jersey was talking about how pissed he and his other friends are that the Jets didn’t pick Baker Mayfield lol

• Options

I guess the Browns are putting up a sculpture of Otto Graham, maybe this will bring them luck. https://mavensports.io/talkoffame/nfl/finally-the-browns-remember-a-great-qb-too-many-others-have-forgotten-ulMguuKUnkmeEDsPrnhGhA/

• Options

Otto Graham was one of the game’s winningest quarterbacks, going 57-13-1 during the regular season in the NFL (an 80.3 winning percentage) and 9-3 in the playoffs (NFL and AAFC combined)

probably not for "luck" at all, just to pay recognition to a great QB. I have pleaded his case here before but it is useless as long as great players like Tom Brady are playing and Otto Graham had retired before most of the discuss-ers were born. I am amazed that he still holds the NFL record for career average yards gained per pass attempt, with 8.98. He also holds the record for the highest career winning percentage for an NFL starting quarterback, at .826.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Odell will strain his labia on 1st play from scrimmage and miss 12 games.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

@keets said:
    Otto Graham was one of the game’s winningest quarterbacks, going 57-13-1 during the regular season in the NFL (an 80.3 winning percentage) and 9-3 in the playoffs (NFL and AAFC combined)

probably not for "luck" at all, just to pay recognition to a great QB. I have pleaded his case here before but it is useless as long as great players like Tom Brady are playing and Otto Graham had retired before most of the discuss-ers were born. I am amazed that he still holds the NFL record for career average yards gained per pass attempt, with 8.98. He also holds the record for the highest career winning percentage for an NFL starting quarterback, at .826.

Otto is one of the greatest ever, the fact that it’s 2019 and they finally built him a well overdue statue I say maybe it will bring them some luck. Drafting Mayfield and building this statue are probably the only 2 things the Browns have done right in decades

• Options
    edited August 12, 2019 9:09AM

@keets You say you have pleaded his case here yet I don’t ever remember anyone saying anything negative about Graham, not once ever. Tom Brady is not holding Graham back as far as recognition as one of the best, that’s ridiculous. There is no question Brady and other current HOF caliber QB’s get more recognition but that’s not their fault it’s the NFL and the teams themselves for not promoting their glorious history! I mean Graham retired in what 1956? And it took till 2019 for them to put up a statue of their most iconic player in their history? Lol that’s lunacy

• Options

@keets said:

This is not a jab, but a serious question. Do you think Graham would be as good today (playing against these defences) as he was in his day. I know it's speculation either way and we will never know. B)

As far as the statue.....well deserved in my opinion. Like Paul said it should have be done a long time ago.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

This is not a jab, but a serious question. Do you think Graham would be as good today (playing against these defences) as he was in his day. I know it's speculation either way and we will never know. B)

As far as the statue.....well deserved in my opinion. Like Paul said it should have be done a long time ago.

I’m going to jump in just Incase this gets answered incorrectly. Graham had natural talent and played at a high level in comparison to his peers. That being said to hypothetically place him in today’s game is a loaded scenario, had he been brought up through high school then college to pro with today’s training and everything else that goes with it then yea he would probably been a great QB still but to magically put him against today’s athletes as he was back in the 1950’s he would get destroyed. The Browns teams of the 1950’s would not ever win a game in today’s NFL. Period end of discussion. We can’t compare these generations with decades of gaps in between

• Options

perk, let's BOTH be honest. if Tom Brady played back then he'd also get destroyed.

that's the trouble with "comparing eras" under the guise of comparing players to say who's the best. why does everyone obsess with doing that when the Game is so much different. that's the reason I posted the two stats that Graham still holds. for the record, I think there are two Quarterbacks who could transcend the Game. they were great when they played and they would have been just as great in Graham's era or in today's game --- John Elway and Joe Montana. I have literally "seen them all" from Bart Starr to the present day and noone else could do that.

BTW, Otto Graham isn't the Cleveland Browns most iconic player. that man is still alive. :p

• Options

@keets said:
    perk, let's BOTH be honest. if Tom Brady played back then he'd also get destroyed.

that's the trouble with "comparing eras" under the guise of comparing players to say who's the best. why does everyone obsess with doing that when the Game is so much different. that's the reason I posted the two stats that Graham still holds. for the record, I think there are two Quarterbacks who could transcend the Game. they were great when they played and they would have been just as great in Graham's era or in today's game --- John Elway and Joe Montana. I have literally "seen them all" from Bart Starr to the present day and noone else could do that.

BTW, Otto Graham isn't the Cleveland Browns most iconic player. that man is still alive. :p

Any player back then would get destroyed in today’s game, absolutely agreed. We don’t need to engage each other in the QB argument since nobody will ever change my mind that Tom Brady is the best QB ever. Either way I’m a closet Browns fan, I’m definitely rooting for them to do well.

• Options

@keets ...I disagree. Any of the QB's that play now could have played then. The game is harder now not easier.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    @keets ...I disagree. Any of the QB's that play now could have played then. The game is harder now not easier.

No what he means is if any player today was brought up in that era and magically placed in today’s game without the modern training would get destroyed. That’s how I read it as a counter point to my post. Any QB in today’s game with all the training etc would be fine for f teleported to the 1950’s to play. See how crazy this type of talk can get 😳

• Options

what I meant specifically directed at QB's but also overall is that the rules have changed and the equipment has changed. take any QB playing today and don't allow him the protections built into the rules by the owners who are paying him and they would be, as perk says, destroyed.

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    Todays game is much faster ... many players in 60's, 70's and even 80's wouldn't make a ball club... everyone who takes the NFL gridiron today is light years faster and quicker than in decades past.... All Americans litter the landscape. I don't think a Joe Namath could cope with todays speed....he could barely complete 50% of his passes back then.....

I don’t think Joe Montana would even be as good 😱

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleveland will always find a way to disappoint, higher expectations will just lead to a greater extent of disappointment. Enjoy the 6-10 season Brownies!

• Options

Cleveland will always find a way to disappoint, higher expectations will just lead to a greater extent of disappointment. Enjoy the 6-10 season Brownies!

there, I saved it for you.

• Options

It's all just a guess right now about how any team will do really. After about 4 games (regular season) we will have a feel for who is good or not.

• Options

I would guess 12-4.
    Not good enough for a bye throughout the playoffs however, as the Chiefs will be at least 14-2.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@Darin said:
    I would guess 12-4.
    Not good enough for a bye throughout the playoffs however, as the Chiefs will be at least 14-2.

@Darin said:
    I would guess 12-4.

Wow 14-2? I’m pretty sure they will make the playoffs fairly easy but only 2 losses huh?

• Options

Beckham hurt his hip. Cleveland will learn. He's a potato chip.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

Yea ODB is completely off my draft board for the first 2 Rounds.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I would guess 12-4.

on a 14-2 pace until 7 of them decide to beat their kid or wife and get suspended .

• Options
    edited August 15, 2019 5:49PM

@bronco2078 said:

@Darin said:
    I would guess 12-4.

on a 14-2 pace until 7 of them decide to beat their kid or wife and get suspended .

But KC is ok with child abusers who break their kids arms just not guys who get drunk and get into a scuffle with multiple people at 3AM with zero injuries reported

• Options

Ouch and Ouch!

Well played, my good sirs'!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

there, I saved it for you.

I saved you saving me, down to 5-11 now.

• Options

:)

• Options

I just got home and have seen a little of the Browns vs. Indy game, Cleveland just went up 21-7 midway through the third quarter.

here is what I want to say --- starting sometime last year and continuing now the Team looks different on Offense. my sense of it is two-fold: during the past couple of years they have added some real talent(players, coaching, front office) and that now allows them to do some of the things the rest of the NFL has been doing.

I can't tell you how many times in the past I have watched with friends and we've screamed at the TV about the kind of things everyone else does, stuff like corner routes, lob passes, back shoulders and the short route over the middle that they just scored on. for the past 10-20 years the Cleveland Browns have been using about half the playbook that other Teams have.

using the whole repertoire of NFL plays will be harder to predict and defend.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2019 6:34PM

roughly 6 years ago i went to a Browns game and sat near the fiddy. awesome experience. love the stadium & the location. the lake effect winds off of Erie were nothing short of amazeballs; those types of temps are what i experience here in Texas around November. let me tell ya, it doesn't matter how much Cleveland sucks -- the fans are incredibly passionate. and if the team falls behind & it's clear they're not coming back? the drinking ramps up and it turns into a freaking house party in the stands. i'll never forget having Trent Richardson on one of my fantasy teams.........i bet i yelled his name so many times during that game that people confused me for his mama.

edit: they lost to the Dolphins lol

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind at all an Eagles versus Browns Super Bowl. :)

• Options

If the Pats dont win it I want the Browns to win it. How about that???

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

so this means they meet in the playoffs and the Pats lose , normally I'd be opposed to that but I'd like to see that happen to Bill , especially if its because he did something stupid

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

so this means they meet in the playoffs and the Pats lose , normally I'd be opposed to that but I'd like to see that happen to Bill , especially if its because he did something stupid

Like sitting his best CB and watching his replacement get torched play after play? That is entirely possible that could happen again...

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well Baker got his wish and some playing time. Not very impressive but it’s still preseason. Browns move to 5/4 to win the division. Steelers 8/5

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Odell will sprain his vagina week 2

• Options

I started watching the Browns game after Mayfield was already out of the game, they showed a lot
    of his throws and it looked like several were just barely overthrown, and a receiver dropped a TD catch.
    I think he got what he needed, 26 attempts to shake off the cobwebs, he'll be more accurate when
    regular season starts.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21