Home Sports Talk

Speaking of girls. Best "female" rock band of all time.

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must be at least two girls in the band.

So Grace Slick and Jefferson Starship would not meet the standard.

Must be at least two girls, and must be rock.

I believe this is going to be a two horse race between Heart and Fleetwood Mac, because I can't think of
any others.

I know we don't think of Fleetwood Mac as a "girls" band, but they meet the standard.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2019 1:52PM

The Bangles and the Go Go’s were actually pretty good in the 80’s. I never got into them but they had some good songs. Lita Ford was SUUUUMOKIN’ but doesn’t qualify 🤷‍♂️

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without a doubt, Heart. Fleetwood Mac was a bigger band but they weren't a female band. They were a band with (sometimes) two women in it. Heart was definitely a female band. And their music was better :) Shame that they're broken up and no longer speaking to each other.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2019 7:14PM

Lucinda Williams and Enya
    https://youtu.be/LTrk4X9ACtw
    Search Results
    Knowledge Result
    Video Thumbnail
    Lucinda Williams - Drunken Angel - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cckroKLPsqg

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems like a lot if the good bands don't get along outside the music. Keith Richards and Mick Jagger hate each others guts. Everybody in Guns n Roses hates Axl Rose. Motley Crue can't stand Vince Neil. Hatred for your bandmates - a key ingredient to any successful group. ;)

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Runaways are another one, with Joan Jett and Lita Ford.

Steve

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2019 2:59PM

@1970s said:

Did not know the Wilson sisters are not speaking any more. How did that happen ?

I'm not going to rehash it here, but you can read what happened on Heart's wikipedia page.

Evidently though, as of this past February, Ann and Nancy are back together and touring.

Steve

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lead singer who walked like an Egyptian!
    As far as hotness,
    it goes habenero pepper, Scorpion pepper, Ghost pepper, Carolina reaper and
    then the lead singer for the Bangles!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

This is always how I remember her, looking sideways. LOL. Susanna Hoffs.
    And I did misunderstand the question a bit, I was thinking hottest, not best. Same thing, however.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    As far as hotness,

could not agree more. Susanna Hoffs had it going on and then some. hell, go google a picture of her now at age 60

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    Without a doubt, Heart. Fleetwood Mac was a bigger band but they weren't a female band. They were a band with (sometimes) two women in it. Heart was definitely a female band. And their music was better :) Shame that they're broken up and no longer speaking to each other.

Big fan of both bands!

I think the Wilson sisters might have reconciled. Oops, I see that has been pointed out.

Fleetwood Mac, better band, (more variety of music) Heart more of a "girl" band. No disrespect to Christine Mcvie.

BOTH fantastic bands I saw several times in concert!

Heart has had a lot of personel changes while FM will always be remembered by me the second edition, when joined by Buckinham/Nicks.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@galaxy27 said:

@Darin said:
    As far as hotness,

could not agree more. Susanna Hoffs had it going on and then some. hell, go google a picture of her now at age 60

I know, she still looks great. I wasn't much into videos', but 'Walk like an Egyptian' I definitely watched a lot. LOL.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

If you are looking for a talented all female band, I would recommend Aldious. It's not exactly rock, but all the band members can play. They are definitely worth a listen to and you can find them on youtube.

They might not make your list, but they have good energy!

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Orianthi and Nita Strauss. The rest of you hacks can discuss second place.

https://youtu.be/wOzgfyNI_Wo

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Linda Ronstadt... May not meet your requirements but exceeds mine

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    It seems like a lot if the good bands don't get along outside the music. Keith Richards and Mick Jagger hate each others guts. Everybody in Guns n Roses hates Axl Rose. Motley Crue can't stand Vince Neil. Hatred for your bandmates - a key ingredient to any successful group. ;)

Guess those guys can be grouped with the topic here too. Haha it did say women right

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked Stacy's mom. She had it going on!!!!!

Ooops. Sorry, she did not sing. She just was in the music video.

:)

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    I always liked Stacy's mom. She had it going on!!!!!

Ooops. Sorry, she did not sing. She just was in the music video.

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLfasMPOU4

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

@Tabe said:

I was thinking Heart also, but I also believe Heart would have three guys playing with them during concerts, which in basically where Fleetwood Mac was at also. I thought both were five people bands.

Did not know the Wilson sisters are not speaking any more. How did that happen ?

Heart has dudes play with them but the Wilson sisters ARE the band. Ann sings, Nancy plays and sings. The guys are just filler.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember the Breeders? They had 1 good song, 3 woman, 2 were Sisters.

edited August 9, 2019 2:18AM

@perkdog said:

They sung "Cannonball". I miss the 90s. Great decade for music. Groups like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins. We'll never see that kind of music again.

@Tabe said:

@1970s said:

@Tabe said:

I was thinking Heart also, but I also believe Heart would have three guys playing with them during concerts, which in basically where Fleetwood Mac was at also. I thought both were five people bands.

Heart has dudes play with them but the Wilson sisters ARE the band. Ann sings, Nancy plays and sings. The guys are just filler.

No, no, no. Howard Leese and Mike Derosier were GREAT players. Leese was AMAZING in his concert performances ( great on the records too but more controlled) and Derosier's drumming was a key to their hard driving sound in the early version of the band.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@1970s said:
    If we had to make a list of the female groups that had the most hits, I think the top three would be...........

1- Fleetwood Mac
    2- ABBA
    3- Heart

I'm sure 2 and 3 could flip flop if you want to.

@1970s said:
    If we had to make a list of the female groups that had the most hits, I think the top three would be...........

1- Fleetwood Mac
    2- ABBA
    3- Heart

I'm sure 2 and 3 could flip flop if you want to.

Well ABBA sold about 6 trillion records worldwide so they undoubtedly would be #1. They were not really rockers. Fleetwood Mac was soft in that regard as well. Saw Heart open for the Doobies in 1977 or so. They could shake the place up.

Much softer rock as well was the mamas and the poppas. Cass Elliot gets the vote as best singer and Michelle Phillips as hottest singer...but as rockers, they do not really qualify.

If Janis Joplin had a female drummer or bass player backing her up, the contest would be over.

As far as greatest female band, I would have to go with Heart. They could really provoke some emotion as well as tear it up on the guitar. Like the beginning of "Crazy on you" with the guitar. They could also get to you emotionally with later songs like "Alone". They really are one of a kind.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I'm a fan. Kim and Kelley Deal. Identical twins. Kim was a longtime and original member of the Pixies. https://youtu.be/_ETgFRTwPek

@1970s said:

@doubledragon said:
    As far as greatest female band, I would have to go with Heart. They could really provoke some emotion as well as tear it up on the guitar. Like the beginning of "Crazy on you" with the guitar. They could also get to you emotionally with later songs like "Alone". They really are one of a kind.

If we're going with "rock" in it's purest form, then I agree with you.

However, I'm not sure you can designate Fleetwood Mac in any other category besides rock.

I would agree, Fleetwood Mac would be considered rock. It could go either way with Heart and Fleetwood Mac. Both great bands. I could see Fleetwood Mac getting the top spot.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fleetwood Mac is not a “female band.” Lindsey Buckingham is the most important member, Stevie Nicks is (to me) the least important member.

@1970s said:

@PaulMaul said:
    Fleetwood Mac is not a “female band.” Lindsey Buckingham is the most important member, Stevie Nicks is (to me) the least important member.

From the original post, the standard was the band had to have at least two women in it. Thus, Fleetwood Mac did meet the standard, even though we don't think of them as a female band.

One could argue that Christie McVie is the most important member, because even though Lindsey was the musical genius, he was also the most destructive to group, so much so that
    the group didn't want him anymore.

Stevie has a much bigger following than the dummer and bass player.

The best voice in the group belongs to Christie IMO.

I am a huge fan of both bands and you are way off base with your interpretation of Fleetwood Mac.

Buckinham is out because the big diva Stevie wants him out. the others don't have a problem with him. That is to say they would continue to perform with him on tour.

Mick Fleetwood and John Mcvie were HUGE drunks and caused their share of problems, but Stevie is and was the person that made the working arrangement of the band hard and now impossible. Christine has a beautiful voice and plays keyboards well enough, but is certainly not the most important, probably the least.

@PaulMaul said:

Buckingham is greatly under rated as a guitarist and songwriter. Look at the guitar tabs for the song "Big Love". I would dare any of the heavy metal shredders to fingerpick that!

However you can't really dismiss Nicks because she is a biatch, She had the most success outside of the group and there's a very good reason for that. She's got a LOT of talent.

Lindsey wasn’t able to tour when they wanted him to due to other commitments. That’s ultimately why the band went along with his firing....they wanted the money. Stevie’s version of events where Lindsey is involved is always questionable, as she obviously has an ax to grind.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RhZDGLEXM

Fleetwood Mac is not a female band.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

He’s basically saying Stevie was looking for a reason to try to get rid of him. And I’m saying the reason the band went along with it is because Lindsey leaving would allow the tour plans to go forward, not because they agreed with Stevie’s grudge against Lindsey, who is the true “creative powerhouse” of the band. The fact that the band figured Lindsey not being there wouldn’t affect the success of the tour is a sad commentary on the concert going public.

Why don't they grow old and retire like normal people so we wouldn't have this argument.
    For Christ's sake they're 75 years old.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2019 5:10PM

ABBA all the way!! :) The girls (who were the A's, not to be confused with the baseball team) were the lead singers and they were so cute weren't they? Here's a neat hidden gem of theirs that I personally find really catchy and addictive (not so much the middle song; it's okay but it doesn't really go with the other two). And it's too bad they just missed the late 60s/early 70s variety show era because the third song (and title) would've been perfect! Perhaps it could've been called ABBA Midnight Special Hour?

https://youtu.be/Vo9oGvTF0GY

And this right here is what put them on the map...Eurovision was Europe's version of Star Search/American Idol at the time, and this is the same year my wife graduated HS (1974)! :)

https://youtu.be/3FsVeMz1F5c

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

I could be wrong, but I believe RUSH is the standard for how bands should get along. All three are friends, and they all split the revenue share 33.3 percent. They all actually enjoy each other's company.

Not this kind of Rush right? :)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6im6y5

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

@Darin said:
    Why don't they grow old and retire like normal people so we wouldn't have this argument.
    For Christ's sake they're 75 years old.

Should be a fifty and out rule for rockers.

Alice Cooper being the exception!

;)