Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Armed Robbery at Mexican Mint facility!

Some kind of armed robbery reported at a Mexican government Mint facility... details sketchy... amount does not seem especially large, but not small either...

Link: https://www.kitco.com/news/2019-08-06/Armed-Robbers-In-Mexico-Steal-Gold-Coins-From-Government-Coin-Maker.html

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a very heavy backpack. Assuming by google-fu the 1500+coins are the 1.2 oz 50 pesos...and 'filled a backpack'. If that is literally the story it makes you wonder a bit. Not that you CAN'T carry a backpack weighing that much, but WOULD you in such a scenario?

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

This can be the next season of the "Money Heist"

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the bandits have badges?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many '33 saints did they get? ;)

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Badges..we don't need no stinkin badges! One guard with one pistola is guarding a mint? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

The place they robbed was the retail store. If you have ever been there (I have) they literally had a security officer with pepper spray (unless they had a sophisticated system not visible to the visitor and to be honest, I thought they had one). So, not surprised at all. Sad but not surprised.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo Thanks for clearing that up a bit. I saw a little bit of video elsewhere, and thought it might be an office, not the big production facility.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

A rough calculation shows that the backpack would have thence weighed over 100lbs.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could hump a hundred pounds of gold to a getaway car. The adrenaline would do most of the work. The real work is how to spend it.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

On my very best day, I don't think that I would be required to lift more than twenty Mexico Centenario coins. Just sayin'...

• Options

Well, the issue of Coin World released last Saturday states that 1,567 one ounce gold Libertad coins were stolen, not the somewhat heavier gold Centenarios. Just felt that this thread should be updated on that point.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even so, that's a lot to carry! 'Only', what a 130#. Adrenalin would make it happen I suppose, but that wasn't a WalMart backpack!