Home Sports Talk

Report: Tom Brady agrees to two-year, $70 million extension with the Patriots

stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-england-patriots-quarterback-tom-brady-contract-extension-172336402.html

Report: Tom Brady agrees to two-year, $70 million extension with the Patriots

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that this silences the trade rumors.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Solid contract for a top 5 player.

In all seriousness, Brady really should retire.

He's got absolutely nothing left to prove, all the money he could possibly spend, a beautiful family, etc...he's got it all.

One bad hit from a killer defensive player, could make him a cripple for life.

In my opinion, that's a very poor risk/reward ratio that he's undertaking at this point in his life by continuing to play football. But I guess that competitive spirit which took a sixth round draft choice with a non-athletic looking body, and turned him into a great player, is a very difficult thing to just turn off.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would buy a LOT of NICE Dimes!!! :)B)

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I hadn't heard those. What did I miss?

@stevek said:

He's got absolutely nothing left to prove, all the money he could possibly spend, a beautiful family, etc...he's got it all.

In my opinion, that's a very poor risk/reward ratio that he's undertaking at this point in his life by continuing to play football. But I guess that competitive spirit which took a sixth round draft choice with a non-athletic looking body, and turned him into a great player, is a very difficult thing to just turn off.

Your last sentence says a lot about why he is still going. Most of these guys don't stop playing until forced to.

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

I hadn't heard those. What did I miss?

It was only a joke.

I just enjoy irritating Patriots fans. It's my new found hobby. ;)

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

Your last sentence says a lot about why he is still going. Most of these guys don't stop playing until forced to.

Yep. I think the old expression is something like a gladiator carried out on his sword. It may be applicable to Tom Brady.

I hope not. I only root against Tom Brady when he plays my Philadelphia Eagles. :)

@DIMEMAN said:

Quarters to. :)

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Quarters to. :)

Yes, I am a two-bit Dime collector. ;)B)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

From a business standpoint, he has brought the Pats to 3 Super Bowls in a row winning 2 of them. Compare that to what these other QB’s have done and signed for big money and you got yourself a smart decision. I’m going to laugh if they make the Super Bowl again this year. As far as Tom goes? Well he loves the game and he is a stat hungry dude, that’s why he is still playing I think.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady gets more money and the Patriots free up some cap space. Winning!

• TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

I train athletes, you have to remember that Brady and others like him are wired differently. They are not overly concerned with the risk vs. reward aspect. They have been doing this since they were kids and they live for the competition. They live, eat, sleep, and breathe this game and just want to dominate all the time. They work out like mad men, are strict with their diet, work with trainers on flexibility to prevent injury, and have a number of specialty coaches to get the small details right. All of them are looking for that edge so they can keep dominating the competition. I have worked with some pro athletes, and have beaten some in drills/volley games and you know what is the first thing I hear. "Hey, let's do that volley game again/when are you going to give me a rematch in that drill/volley game." They can beat me 3 times in a row, but if they lose that 4th game it bugs them. Even with something like a game of cards it's the same thing. They constantly want to prove they're better than you.

So what would it take for Brady to retire 1) Patriots miss the playoffs 2 years in a row. 2) Brady physically can't do it anymore. 3) Patriots have a perfect season going 16-0 in regular season, run through the playoffs and win the super bowl. 4) Brady and the Patriots win the super bowl 3 years in a row.

I don't see any of those things happening, so I would say we have at least two more season of Brady and maybe as many as six.

Also I heard Brady's extension is really a 1 year deal spread out over 3 to save cap space for players like Devin McCourty. So Brady's true deal will happen next offseason.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

@perkdog said:
    As far as Tom goes? Well he loves the game and he is a stat hungry dude, that’s why he is still playing I think.

I have thought for awhile now that Tom wants the TD record to add some sort of unnecessary validation to his career. And that the continuing success of Brees has kept Tom motivated with the hope of outlasting him long enough to have the record when he retires.

Anyone else suspect this?

@TennisCoach Your two to six year window definitely fits what I believe will happen.

Like I said, I believe he really, really wants the TD record. He said age 45. And now he might find himself in a scenario with Brees where he would have to play past that to get the record.

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    As far as Tom goes? Well he loves the game and he is a stat hungry dude, that’s why he is still playing I think.

I have thought for awhile now that Tom wants the TD record to add some sort of unnecessary validation to his career. And that the continuing success of Brees has kept Tom motivated with the hope of outlasting him long enough to have the record when he retires.

Anyone else suspect this?

I’ve suspected more than that, I truly believe he wants the Passing Yards as well. He wants it ALL

Once I saw the details of the contract, I was surprised to realize that it really is not an extension at all. Am I correct in this assumption?

@thisistheshow said:
    Once I saw the details of the contract, I was surprised to realize that it really is not an extension at all. Am I correct in this assumption?

It’s hard to figure out these contracts, the language is done so you need to be a lawyer to understand in most cases but yes everything I’ve read states it’s NOT an extension

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brees qb play has slowed down, Brady, not so much. Brees had 3 touchdowns vs 3 interceptions at the end of last year. I believe Brees will retire after this year after coming off a bad year

@coinpalice said:
    Brees qb play has slowed down, Brady, not so much. Brees had 3 touchdowns vs 3 interceptions at the end of last year. I believe Brees will retire after this year after coming off a bad year

Brady certainly hopes so, he wants that all time passing yardage record!

I’m going in with the same thought process as most seasons. and that’s “They didn’t give Brady any weapons as usual and the team is not looking good on paper”

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2019 5:04PM

Hee hee , so another two years of teasing my Bostonian wife about how everyone outside of NE is stick to death of the Patriots being such Super Bowl hogs (they've made four out of the last five right?)? Sounds good to me! :)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

@perkdog said:

@coinpalice said:

Brady certainly hopes so, he wants that all time passing yardage record!

I really don't think Brees is done yet, but another year like last year may change my mind on that.

Anyone read this theory? Agree? Kind of funny. I think it is very possible, considering that the two additional years turned out to be meaningless.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2019/08/did-tom-brady-troll-the-falcons-with-his-new-contract-extension/amp

I think it’s a coincidence that gave sportswriters something to troll themselves. Brady should have zero animosity towards the Falcons, there was no smack talk or any of that nonsense that I can remember.