Home Sports Talk
Options

Why does MLB pick and choose what is tolerated??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everybody had a COW when Trevor Bauer launched a ball over the CF fence, but when Indians designated hitter Franmil Reyes struck out in all four plate appearances today, breaking the bat over his right leg following his third whiff, nothing is said. Why is one type of emotional meltdown bad and another good? I have seen players destroy bat-racks and trash water coolers, so who is the final sayer of what is OK and what is not??

I still maintain that what Bauer did was obsessed about simply because nobody had ever seen it don before.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care for any of it.

MLB should have some kind of rules about behavior and apply them fairly.

HA!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably because players are to never throw any thing into the stands. Breaking a bat over your leg doesn't hurt anyone....just poor sportsmanship.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Probably because players are to never throw any thing into the stands. Breaking a bat over your leg doesn't hurt anyone....just poor sportsmanship.

Ditto

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Everybody had a COW when Trevor Bauer launched a ball over the CF fence, but when Indians designated hitter Franmil Reyes struck out in all four plate appearances today, breaking the bat over his right leg following his third whiff, nothing is said. Why is one type of emotional meltdown bad and another good? I have seen players destroy bat-racks and trash water coolers, so who is the final sayer of what is OK and what is not??

Guys who trash bat racks get yelled at by teammates or their manager because it's dangerous. That is definitely not ignored.

Breaking a bat over your leg doesn't damage anyone else (generally). Throwing a ball into the stands could potentially injure a fan - big no-no.

Those are the differences.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

In all fairness to Bauer, cutting him a little bit of slack, that was one screwed up inning with all sorts of crazy seeing eye hits.

Yes, Bauer knows that he shouldn't have done that and he sincerely apologized for it. He also knows that he will receive a nasty fine, if he hasn't already gotten one.

Bauer should have taken out the water cooler instead...would have been cheaper. LOL

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tennis has had this problem for decades.

• Options

Probably because players are to never throw any thing into the stands.

sure, I understand that. tell me, though, do you really think Francona said something like "Trevor, you know you can't throw the ball into the stands, you might hurt someone, now go take a shower!!" when he got to the mound??? if you do, you're delusional. almost certainly he scolded him for losing his composure and making a child-like emotional response to what had happened in that inning.

so a guy strikes out three times, and after the 3rd whiff he snaps the bat over his leg.
    a pitcher gets yanked and walks into the dug-out and beats up the water cooler.
    in a high pressure at-bat a hitter is fooled by a curveball and walks to the dug-out and trashes the bat rack.

in all three: loss of composure and a child-like emotional tantrum. don't give me this BS about the ball into the stands hitting a fan. tell me this --- when you first saw the replay of that, what was your first thought, "Hey, he could have hurt someone," ?? I'd think it was probably something along the lines of an over-paid athlete losing his cool.

let's get real about this, guys. maybe the most honest thing posted in the thread so far is what stevek posted, that Bauer didn't really pitch bad in that inning but sometimes the ball bounces funny and stuff happens. just don't tell me you thought a fan might get hurt when Bauer launched that ball, you probably laughed like I did and thought he was a jerk. B)

• Options

I'm not intimately familiar with the KC Royals stadium, but looking at the video, it appears that there may not be any seats available there where he threw the ball in dead center field. Or considering the sparse crowd, that if there were any seats available there, nobody would be sitting in them anyway.

So even though it was a temper tantrum, it was controlled in a way. It's not like he threw the ball into the first base line stands or something like that.

My initial reaction to seeing the video was, what a dope, he could tear his rotator cuff doing that, and ruin his career. But I read in an article that Bauer often enjoys just throwing a baseball far like that, sort of just to see how far he can throw it. So his temper tantrum method sort of made sense in that regard.

Not trying to justify at all his behavior which of course is unacceptable...just trying to possibly explain it.

• Options

@stevek said:
    I'm not intimately familiar with the KC Royals stadium, but looking at the video, it appears that there may not be any seats available there where he threw the ball in dead center field. Or considering the sparse crowd, that if there were any seats available there, nobody would be sitting in them anyway.

So even though it was a temper tantrum, it was controlled in a way. It's not like he threw the ball into the first base line stands or something like that.

My initial reaction to seeing the video was, what a dope, he could tear his rotator cuff doing that, and ruin his career. But I read in an article that Bauer often enjoys just throwing a baseball far like that, sort of just to see how far he can throw it. So his temper tantrum method sort of made sense in that regard.

Not trying to justify at all his behavior which of course is unacceptable...just trying to possibly explain it.

He threw TWO balls. The first one hit the netting on one of the sides, then he threw the next ball he got into the center field stands.

It doesn't appear that any fans were endangered, just wanted to get the full story out there.

Not really trying to hammer on the Bauer "tantrum" but why don't we see the ENTIRE melt-down?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@keets said:

sure, I understand that. tell me, though, do you really think Francona said something like "Trevor, you know you can't throw the ball into the stands, you might hurt someone, now go take a shower!!" when he got to the mound??? if you do, you're delusional. almost certainly he scolded him for losing his composure and making a child-like emotional response to what had happened in that inning.

so a guy strikes out three times, and after the 3rd whiff he snaps the bat over his leg.
    a pitcher gets yanked and walks into the dug-out and beats up the water cooler.
    in a high pressure at-bat a hitter is fooled by a curveball and walks to the dug-out and trashes the bat rack.

in all three: loss of composure and a child-like emotional tantrum. don't give me this BS about the ball into the stands hitting a fan. tell me this --- when you first saw the replay of that, what was your first thought, "Hey, he could have hurt someone," ?? I'd think it was probably something along the lines of an over-paid athlete losing his cool.

let's get real about this, guys. maybe the most honest thing posted in the thread so far is what stevek posted, that Bauer didn't really pitch bad in that inning but sometimes the ball bounces funny and stuff happens. just don't tell me you thought a fan might get hurt when Bauer launched that ball, you probably laughed like I did and thought he was a jerk. B)

You just ask a question and I answered it! It was a stupid move and yes someone could have gotten hit a hurt by that ball thrown into the stands. I hope they fine the heck out of him!

• Options

I remember when pitchers used to do it the old fashioned way. Plunk the next batter with a fastball to the ribs. LOL

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think there's a lot of pearl-clutching going on up in here

i for one appreciate guys who show emotion. proves that they care. when guys get indifferent about winning due to the fact that they're ultimately getting paid...........that's when you'll see me yapping

• Options

there's a time and place for it, Sports is definitely different than when I was young boy. in the end it's all about self-control and we each lose that from time to time. an old saying, "A man who conquers himself is more powerful than a man who conquers nations."

Trevor Bauer has a long way to go and I wish him well. I am sort of disappointed that they traded him.

• Options

@keets said:
    there's a time and place for it, Sports is definitely different than when I was young boy. in the end it's all about self-control and we each lose that from time to time. an old saying, "A man who conquers himself is more powerful than a man who conquers nations."

Trevor Bauer has a long way to go and I wish him well. I am sort of disappointed that they traded him.

They seemed to get a lot for him, wouldn't you agree?

• Options
    edited August 5, 2019 3:52PM

@keets said:

We don't have to guess what he said to Bauer (Warning: profanity):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCeXEa0Ouk8

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of it really bothers me, I find it really funny though that it’s ok for NASCAR guys to go after other drivers and throw punches at them. You want to see someone act like a complete idiot do a search for Wally Backman acting up in the minors, lots of swearing so be aware of your at work lol

• Options

think about some of the tantrums Managers like Billy Martin used to have, and we all loved it as entertainment. all things considered about all Sports, what Bauer did should really be no big deal but it really got attention.

I call BS.

• Options

Francona is a clown anyways, he marches out their and rips Bauer for throwing a ball over the fence yet he sat on his coward rear end and let the Red Sox fall apart under his watch because he had zero control 🙄

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    I think fans are more enamored with a players strength to break the bat... everyone goes a bit bananas when a Bo Jackson takes a bat to his knee or even over his helmet and breaks it.... its adored not loathed....Madison Baumgardner went after Muncy last month for something pretty debatable and his behavior was far worse than Bauer.... I think Bauer's tempestuous past worked against him.... If another pitcher does it like Jake Arietta for example I'm not sure we have the same reaction as we do Bauer..... Oh its Jake he's pretty pissed ...stay out of his way he's a Cy Young winner. I also think of Roger Clemens throwing the bat at Piazza years ago in that well known incident... If Bauer does that he is going to death row... Not Rocket Roger.

When Bo did the bat breaking it was a "cool" act to many. Due to because it was Bo and his popularity. As we all know it depends on who you are, dictating getting a pass with the same act another uncool player doing the same. Not much difference than your usual favoritism factor in the real world.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember when John Tudor, Cardinal pitcher, after a bad outing, had a tantrum and by accident stuck his finger in the dugout fan damaging his finger?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2019 3:58AM

he sat on his coward rear end and let the Red Sox fall apart under his watch because he had zero control

Perk, as a Red Sox fan you are better situated to have a strong opinion like the one above than I am. the twist is that when that same thing keeps happening to YOUR Team it makes little sense to blame the Manager, especially when you admit it is the fault of management. I hear the drone right now at the Boston thread as you guys rag on Cora, I heard it when you ragged Farrell..

your dissatisfaction with YOUR Team is understandable but the anger is misplaced. I know you don't care for Francona but you sure loved him when he got you guys a ring. in short, the ownership gave him little choice so he left.

how can you fault him for that, he left the sinking ship when it became clear to him that he couldn't help it float.

• Options

@stevek said:
    In all fairness to Bauer, cutting him a little bit of slack, that was one screwed up inning with all sorts of crazy seeing eye hits.

Yes, Bauer knows that he shouldn't have done that and he sincerely apologized for it. He also knows that he will receive a nasty fine, if he hasn't already gotten one.

Bauer should have taken out the water cooler instead...would have been cheaper. LOL

PTSD after being pulled from an early season no hitter. Who can blame the poor soul.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2019 7:10AM

@keets said:
    he sat on his coward rear end and let the Red Sox fall apart under his watch because he had zero control

Perk, as a Red Sox fan you are better situated to have a strong opinion like the one above than I am. the twist is that when that same thing keeps happening to YOUR Team it makes little sense to blame the Manager, especially when you admit it is the fault of management. I hear the drone right now at the Boston thread as you guys rag on Cora, I heard it when you ragged Farrell..

your dissatisfaction with YOUR Team is understandable but the anger is misplaced. I know you don't care for Francona but you sure loved him when he got you guys a ring. in short, the ownership gave him little choice so he left.

how can you fault him for that, he left the sinking ship when it became clear to him that he couldn't help it float.

A couple things to your post. I don’t rag on Cora and never got on Farrell either, they both brought a World Series ring to Boston which I’m grateful for. I absolutely appreciated everything Tito did for the Sox but it really annoyed me back in 2011? when they had an 11 game lead in September and LOST the Division while Fried Chicken and Beer was the clubhouse speciality during the collapse and he did NOTHING but sit down with Pedroia ( Who kept quiet too ) and play cribbage, it’s one thing for the team to quit or not play hard and live by a set of rules by the manager over it but to just not be vocal and apologize for players is a joke in my opinion. look it’s baseball and it’s damn hard to win a World Series I get it. I’m probably being to hard on Francona I guess but I’m still annoyed about them losing that lead that Season lol

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Anyone remember when John Tudor, Cardinal pitcher, after a bad outing, had a tantrum and by accident stuck his finger in the dugout fan damaging his finger?

I remember when "walk em in handle bars" punched a fan in a WS game and hurt his hand.

• Options

he did NOTHING but sit down with Pedroia ( Who kept quiet too ) and play cribbage

I don't believe that for a minute.

• Options

Managers get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses.

Some people here in Minnesota think Baldelli is winning these games for the Twins.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2019 9:36AM

@keets said:
    he did NOTHING but sit down with Pedroia ( Who kept quiet too ) and play cribbage

I don't believe that for a minute.

Then why did you bother quoting me and look for my input if your not going to believe what I’m saying? It’s a well known fact that Pedroia had zero leadership skills and it’s also a fact that him and Tito played cribbage together during that time frame. The guy was an apologist for all the players under his watch and they took full advantage. If I’m a manager and I’m “Hanging on but losing” an 11 game lead and my key players are eating fried chicken and drinking beers in the clubhouse you can bet I’m dropping the hammer on that nonsense and kicking these guys in the rear end. Tito did NOT do that regardless of how much you don’t want to believe it

• Options

@1970s said:
    This is how you respond to a Blue Jay who slid illegally into 2nd base.

Great punch

• Options

I love a good baseball ejection.

• Options

This one was a good one.

• Options

@1970s said:
    Best line ever by Don Orsillo. "I don't think that phone's going to work anymore."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eoro-V97l0

A classic outburst.

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Bauer throwing the ball over the centerfield wall posed no danger to fans because no one is sitting out there. The reason this incident got so much air play/coverage is because 1) It's a rare occurrence. 2) Most fans and even major leaguers physically can't make that throw from the pitchers mound. and 3) It's showing up an authority figure coming to the mound to be handed the ball and remove him from the game.

Striking out and breaking bats doesn't have any of those elements.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

I guess the Blue Jays being from Canada didn't know "You don't mess with Texas!"

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@1970s said:

Great punch

No...never hit a guy with glasses unless you are defending your life.

• Options

:)

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

@1970s said:

Great punch

No...never hit a guy with glasses unless you are defending your life.

Well if some guy is advancing to your personal space then too bad, mutual agreed combat comes with risk so if you step into that situation you best be ready.

• Options

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:

@1970s said:

Great punch

Yeah. The helmet and glasses come flying off at the same time. He didn't go down though. He stayed on his feet.

Gotta respect that. I remember years ago I got SMASHED by this big 250+ Llb roid head, ( I was at around 185 ) shamefully I admit I went #2 in my pants lol. That’s when you know you been smashed, I didn’t go down and fought back. I got pummeled though lol 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@perkdog said:

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:

@1970s said:

Great punch

Yeah. The helmet and glasses come flying off at the same time. He didn't go down though. He stayed on his feet.

Gotta respect that. I remember years ago I got SMASHED by this big 250+ Llb roid head, ( I was at around 185 ) shamefully I admit I went #2 in my pants lol. That’s when you know you been smashed, I didn’t go down and fought back. I got pummeled though lol 🤷‍♂️

Sure you weren't at the buffet?

:#

• Options
    edited August 6, 2019 4:18PM

Rougned Odor in a similar fight while playing for Spokane (he's #2 in white/cream):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5eZJWMELo

The "ohhhhhhh" at the is for an unseen sucker punch thrown by Matt West (who pitched a few games in the majors with Texas and LA). He got 10 games for it.

I was at this game but AFTER the brawl. Was a day game and I couldn't leave work early. Got there about 10 minutes after the fight with the crowd still buzzing.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:

@1970s said:

Great punch

Sure you weren't at the buffet?

:#

😳😂

• Options

@1970s said:
    Stevek and I used to fight all the time in elementary school. Every day at school we'd fight about who was the best third baseman of all time. We don't fight too much anymore, but sparks do fly every once and a while. This video was when both of us had to stay in for recess one day, because I told him my crayon was bigger than his crayon, and he took offense.

I'm glad you explained it. Without the explanation, i may have thought that it was two Patriots fans debating who's been more important to the Patriots success, Belichick or Brady? ;)

• Options

@perkdog said:

Well if some guy is advancing to your personal space then too bad, mutual agreed combat comes with risk so if you step into that situation you best be ready.

Exactly. Don't step in the ring if you're not ready for somebody to swing at you.

• Options

That Blue Jays player made so many fundamental mistakes for a street fight, it's not even funny.