1978-D Ike Grading

Approximate grade? Cleaned? Thanks

Virginia Beach, VA
Collector, Buyer, Seller, Licensed Dealer
U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

Comments

  • va_resellersva_resellers Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited August 4, 2019 10:22AM


    Virginia Beach, VA
    Collector, Buyer, Seller, Licensed Dealer
    U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles


  • Virginia Beach, VA
    Collector, Buyer, Seller, Licensed Dealer
    U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not gradable someone put wite-out on it. :D

    .
    .
    Sorry, maybe in the 62-63 range. ;)

  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

    64

  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 12,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What I would suggest so that you <3 learn more from these posts is to tell us what you think/grade FIRST! That's the way it is done in many classroom situations. :)

  • @Insider2 said:
    What I would suggest so that you <3 learn more from these posts is to tell us what you think/grade FIRST! That's the way it is done in many classroom situations. :)

    Id say its MS66.....and you?

    Virginia Beach, VA
    Collector, Buyer, Seller, Licensed Dealer
    U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 12,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @va_resellers said:

    @Insider2 said:
    What I would suggest so that you <3 learn more from these posts is to tell us what you think/grade FIRST! That's the way it is done in many classroom situations. :)

    Id say its MS66.....and you?

    Why? Let's start with the number of marks allowed on an MS-66 coin.

  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This Ike would grade MS63 or MS64 tops. There is way too much chatter for it to be any better than that.

    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 12,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree. Too bad the OP didn't have a chance to respond. :(

  • PCGS disagrees with both of you.

    Virginia Beach, VA
    Collector, Buyer, Seller, Licensed Dealer
    U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

  • va_resellersva_resellers Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited August 26, 2019 11:00AM

    I appreciate the input, but let's not pretend that grading accurately is an easy task or that going off pictures posted here is proof positive that your assessment of the grade is 100% spot on.

    Virginia Beach, VA
    Collector, Buyer, Seller, Licensed Dealer
    U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

  • Same coin

    Virginia Beach, VA
    Collector, Buyer, Seller, Licensed Dealer
    U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wow, I guess I need to resubmit mine. Sorry, but I completely disagree with the grade assigned, just my opinion.

    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 12,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @va_resellers said: "PCGS disagrees with both of you.

    I'm not surprised. Grading is SUBJECTIVE!

    I guess it depends on what "is" is. So I cannot argue with the PCGS grading standard for the MS-66 grade.
    I just have a different understanding of "several small" contact marks - some in the prime focal area.

    Besides. some folks may grade Ike dollars differently than other dollars because MS specimens released into circulation and not part of sets are usually all banged-up.

    PS The only important thing for you (your coin is graded by a top TPGS and both of us were wrong) and me is my second question that you did not answer:

    @Insider2 said:

    @va_resellers said:

    @Insider2 said:
    What I would suggest so that you <3 learn more from these posts is to tell us what you think/grade FIRST! That's the way it is done in many classroom situations. :)

    Id say its MS66.....and you?

    Why? Let's start with the NUMBER of marks allowed on an MS-66 coin.

    o:)

Sign In or Register to comment.