Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Series 1902 $5 The Linden Nat'l Bank - Census question

Hello,

I was hoping someone here could provide me with a census figure on the attached note. I don't subscribe to a service as I'm primarily a coin guy. The only record on Heritage shows a note sold in 2002 with a hammer price of $529. The note sold was significantly lessor condition and Heritage indicated only 4 known at that time.

As with every note, the census grows. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tougher bank that issued 3rd charter plain backs, $5s, $10s and $20s and type 1 small size in the same denominations. Twenty-seven large and eleven small in the current census. Fifteen are $5 plain backs, split seven and eight between first and second title. This is second title.

This note is already in the census with a reported grade of AU50. This is the highest reported grade for any note on the bank.

So, not as rare as you thought but this is the best of the few available from time to time.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    Tougher bank that issued 3rd charter plain backs, $5s, $10s and $20s and type 1 small size in the same denominations. Twenty-seven large and eleven small in the current census. Fifteen are $5 plain backs, split seven and eight between first and second title. This is second title.

This note is already in the census with a reported grade of AU50. This is the highest reported grade for any note on the bank.

So, not as rare as you thought but this is the best of the few available from time to time.

Thank you for the info. It is not in a holder currently so perhaps that was an estimated grade or the consigner took it out. It does have folds but it's excellent quality. I'd be happy with an AU50 when I send it in. Not sure what to ask for it. I'm not a currency guy. Just pick up a piece here and there. Any insight on where you think this would land at auction?