Home Sports Talk
Options

Wonder if Jack Morris would have had a sub .500 carreer W/L average

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had he replaced Nolan Ryan in each of his starts.

Assuming a time machine where instead of Ryan, Morris took the start. Lynn had a much longer career than Jack, so adjust the stats accordingly.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess he might.

Ryan was a much more "dominating" pitcher. Jack was pretty darn good though.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ryan was 318-291 as a starter. Based on his and Morris' records when given 0-2, 3-5, and 6+ run support, Morris' record in Ryan's starts would have been 297-312. Looked at another way, if Morris had gotten Ryan's run support in his own starts, his record would have been 211-222 instead of 251-182.

Ryan got 0-2 run support in 288 of his starts, while Morris got so little support only 138 times. Morris, despite starting 1/3 fewer games got 6+ run support 186 times to Ryan's 180. Believing Jack Morris was a HOF level pitcher is a mental illness; that he was even a good pitcher is debatable.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    Ryan was 318-291 as a starter. Based on his and Morris' records when given 0-2, 3-5, and 6+ run support, Morris' record in Ryan's starts would have been 297-312. Looked at another way, if Morris had gotten Ryan's run support in his own starts, his record would have been 211-222 instead of 251-182.

Ryan got 0-2 run support in 288 of his starts, while Morris got so little support only 138 times. Morris, despite starting 1/3 fewer games got 6+ run support 186 times to Ryan's 180. Believing Jack Morris was a HOF level pitcher is a mental illness; that he was even a good pitcher is debatable.

Your hatred for Morris clouds your thinking. There are too many variables to compare Morris and Ryan like this. Ryan is the better of the 2, but Morris was darn good too. And so was Jim Rice. You have problems man. ;)

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking Jim Rice sucked is also a mental illness.
    Also pointing out to me in another thread that I should have spelled "it's" instead of "its" is definitely a mental illness.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Your hatred for Morris clouds your thinking. There are too many variables to compare Morris and Ryan like this. Ryan is the better of the 2, but Morris was darn good too. And so was Jim Rice. You have problems man. ;)

Fair enough. What are the variables that I am not taking into account? Tell me what they are, how they apply to all pitchers in general, and how to measure them, and I will adjust my response accordingly. (This is a trick - there are no such variables - but I think you already know that.)

Fun fact: you can break down Morris' career into three parts:

Part 1: his first two call-up/rookie years where he was a below average pitcher (OPS+ 96)
    Part 2: 1979-1985, where he was the 2nd best pitcher (OPS+ 113) on the Tigers behind Dan Petry (115), who got no HOF votes
    Part 3: 1986-1994, where he was a below average pitcher (OPS+ 99)

Obviously, I picked the dates to make Morris look as bad as possible, but my point is - try to do something similar with any other pitcher you consider to be a good pitcher. You won't be able to do it with anyone remotely close to HOF level, and the pitchers you can do it with (Bill Hands, Ken Forsch and Jim Perry come to mind), are Morris' true peer group.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

from my youth I remember one saying, "If one thing was different nothing would be the same" and so it goes with these fairy-tale comparisons.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

In your youth, Aaron Sanchez would have had a shot at a no hitter. Now we have netting and wimpy managers.