Home Precious Metals
Options

Is there any way to tell in advance if sales tax will be charged on ebay gold/silver purchase?

tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was getting ready to use the ebay 8% promo to make a purchase... ready to hit the button then realized the sales tax would possibly add more onto it... and the good deal would then no longer be a good deal. Looking at the listing, I did not see any simple way to find out if sales tax would be added on.

Any of you know of a way to find out if sales tax will be charged, before actually purchasing the item?

----- kj

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2019 12:13PM

some sellers make you "commit to buy" before you get to the eBay "how to pay" page. for this I have no answer.

you can hit a BIN and if it takes you to the "how to pay" page, tax will show in the upper right.

if a seller has an auction and you can't do the above, try finding a BIN to test in their other items.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the state you live in. If your state doesn't tax coins and bullion such as those of us in the great commonwealth you are fine. When you go to checkout it shows your total, subtotal, shipping tax (if applicable) etc.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2019 12:50PM

during checkout, and before you actually make the purchase, you will see a page that includes tax total or zero for taxes. Applies even when immediate payment is required.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

No more eBay for me with bullion.
    There are many other options for me.
    I feel your pain. I’m not willing to wait for 8% that I HAVE to spend with them that doesn’t compensate for tax.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Message the seller???

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options

Have to agree with you MilesWaits. That 8% coupon covers tax but not much more; in the case of bullion it makes it worthwhile only in limited situations.

Bottom line... if one doesn't know if you will have to pay tax or not, it is better to assume you will have to. Will certainly affect my buying habits.

----- kj
  • Options

@JJM said:
    Message the seller???

One can certainly do that, and in the past would be a dependable way to know. But now ebay has automated the tax collection process and I am not sure the seller even knows if it will be put in effect or not.

----- kj
  • Options

The only thing I would be comfortable with is if ebay would display a message that will inform a person that tax will be applied to this purchase (BEFORE a person commits to buying; and displayed on any auction page). Otherwise... I have to assume tax payable... will certainly affect my buying habits in regards to coins and bullion (and many more items!)

----- kj
  • Options

@JJM said:
    Message the seller???

Tax is levied in one of two ways: by the seller when he creates the listing or by ebay and their "tax algorithm." Seller will not know if ebay is levying taxes on the purchase.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that you simply have to know the law that applies in your own state before messing with ebay.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found this site to be useful. https://www.salestaxinstitute.com/resources/rates

Aftering finding the state in question you can drill down and it'll provide links from the state for more information.

State Sales Tax IS different from State Use Tax.

Taxes are fun... :s

• Options

@tincup said:
    The only thing I would be comfortable with is if ebay would display a message that will inform a person that tax will be applied to this purchase (BEFORE a person commits to buying; and displayed on any auction page). Otherwise... I have to assume tax payable... will certainly affect my buying habits in regards to coins and bullion (and many more items!)

Again, during checkout, and before you actually make the purchase, you will see a page that includes tax total or zero for taxes. Applies even when immediate payment is required.