Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Donruss Diamond Kings - Red Print

Looked around the internet on this and didn’t find much. Scrolled through these forums and thought this might be the best place for answers. I have a Dave Stewart DK and a John Franco DK that have red lettering. Each player name, the words “ Diamond Kings” and the name “Donruss” are all in red lettering. The standard lettering for all of these is black.

Any ideas what I have here? Just a one off printing error?

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a printing issue to me, but odd that the rest of the coloration on the card is not affected. @ReggieCleveland is the expert on all things 1990 Donruss, perhaps he'll chime in.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

ARGH no scanner!

Just kidding, a little. It's tough to really tell on the cell phone pics. Did you just pull them from packs? Are there other cards with weird printing characteristics?

In the early runs, there's a batch that we call the Magenta run where all of the cards red borders had something done to them and the color is much darker. It extends to other areas, including the Diamond Kings and their banners. Here's a comparison of the Nolan Ryan DK banners -- the above is normal and the bottom is from the Magenta run.

There's also just a veritable cornucopia of printing variations and screw ups. The early print runs were like riding a bull -- they were trying to correct things so quickly that they consequently ended up creating even more errors and variations. They were pushing cards out so fast and changes were being made so fast that it will likely still take me years to document and catalog all of the E&Vs that exist.

That's why I ask about where you got them. Are there more cards from the same source? Are there other oddities? It may lead to explaining when those cards were printed which may help explain if they're one off or a variation. I haven't come across any like that on my own but there are still so many print runs left for me to tackle.

Arthur

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    ARGH no scanner!

Just kidding, a little. It's tough to really tell on the cell phone pics. Did you just pull them from packs? Are there other cards with weird printing characteristics?

In the early runs, there's a batch that we call the Magenta run where all of the cards red borders had something done to them and the color is much darker. It extends to other areas, including the Diamond Kings and their banners. Here's a comparison of the Nolan Ryan DK banners -- the above is normal and the bottom is from the Magenta run.

There's also just a veritable cornucopia of printing variations and screw ups. The early print runs were like riding a bull -- they were trying to correct things so quickly that they consequently ended up creating even more errors and variations. They were pushing cards out so fast and changes were being made so fast that it will likely still take me years to document and catalog all of the E&Vs that exist.

That's why I ask about where you got them. Are there more cards from the same source? Are there other oddities? It may lead to explaining when those cards were printed which may help explain if they're one off or a variation. **I haven't come across any like that on my own but there are still so many print runs left for me to tackle.
    Arthur

And thankfully there's thousands of unopened cases left out there to be busted!!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:
    ARGH no scanner!

That's why I ask about where you got them. Are there more cards from the same source? Are there other oddities? It may lead to explaining when those cards were printed which may help explain if they're one off or a variation. **I haven't come across any like that on my own but there are still so many print runs left for me to tackle.
    Arthur

And thankfully there's thousands of unopened cases left out there to be busted!!

It's glorious. Dirt cheap fun and I don't have to worry about card doctors. Hobby paradise.

Arthur

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just looked at a guy's card collection last night, and he has about 10,000 (maybe more) 1990 Donruss he's looking to get rid of. I'm tempted to buy them just to look for all the strangeness that keeps popping up about this set.

Andy

• Options

It was from a 1990 Donruss set that I hand assembled as a pre teen. My mom is starting to unload all of our stuff and shipped a bunch of my stuff to me. No offense to 1990 Donruss collectors but I didn’t want to keep the set. That said I looked through all the cards one more time before I junked them. The two red DKs stood out immediately so I kept them as a rarity. So it isn’t like I pulled them from a case or a box. I’m sure it took me the better part of a summer to assemble the set so I would assume all of my cards were from different boxes and sets.

I will get you a scan tomorrow for a better look.