Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The National Sports Collectors Convention Survival Guide - just for first time attendees

Saw this on the Cardboard Connection - for anyone going for the first time? This might be fun and helpful to check out?

Guide

Whether you are a grizzled veteran or a rookie call-up making their first appearance at the big show, attending the National Sports Collectors Convention is like Disneyland for collectors. The scale of the show itself is massive given the long duration, large number of dealers and corporate partners, and the square footage of the exhibit space. These combine to mean one very important thing for collectors: you better come with a game plan.
In addition to checking out our guide to the 2019 NSCC, here are some things to consider when making your plans for attending the National.

What Are You Looking to Accomplish?

Are you attempting to complete sets? Add to your player or team collection?
Are you looking to purchase new wax?
Are you planning to take advantage of manufacturer promotions like wrapper redemptions?
Is your intent to purchase from one of the auctions or to consign your items?
Are you submitting cards for grading?
Is your focus to get your items autographed and take advantage of photo opportunities?
Having an answer to these questions before you get to the show will save you both time and money.

What to Bring?

Must-Have Items

Cash: Larger wax retailers and dealers will take plastic but most dealers work strictly on a cash-only basis. Remember to stick to your budget.

Backpack or Small Roll-Behind Suitcase: You will want a hands-free way to stash and carry your plunder.

Want List(s): It's easy to get overwhelmed by the amount of material available to you. Stay focused and remember to check off your list so you don't mistakenly buy duplicates.

Good Walking Shoes: This can't be stressed enough. It may seem rudimentary but you're going to be doing a lot of walking, bending over tables, and standing in lines.

Bottles of Water: Staying hydrated, even while indoors, is key. Who wants to take time away from the show floor to wait in line for a $3.00 bottle of water? A couple of bottles of water will go a long way.

Autograph Items: If you're purchasing tickets for guests at the Autograph Pavilion, it's a good idea to get photos, balls and other items to be signed before the show and bring them with you. Dealers at the event will likely charge more at the event. Bringing the particular pen or Sharpie you want the item signed with is also wise.

Cards for Grading: All the top grading companies attend The National and will be taking submissions. Most offer a show discount of some kind.

Consignment Items and Vintage Cards for Sale: If you have a piece of game-used piece equipment or a stack of near-mint vintage cards that you're looking to part with for quick cash to spend on the show floor, only bring your good stuff. Dealers don't want your junk. Remember, they're buying it to make a profit so be flexible in your negotiations or just walk-away if you feel you're getting unrealistically low-balled. No one has a gun to your head to sell your items.

Storage Items: Chances are that you have these at home anyway, so bring some. Different sized top loaders, penny sleeves, team bags, and snap tights or magnetic holders should all be brought for any freebies and pack pulls. It will save you money and you won't have to waste precious time hunting them down. Don't expect dealers to have any.

Gum or Mints: No one wants to be that collector.

Miscellaneous: It can also be ideal to have pen, paper and a camera handy.

Optional Items

Collapsible Chair with Sleeve and Shoulder Strap: If you're looking to buy singles to fill sets, this is something to strongly consider. Dealers have to pay for chairs and most will not have extra ones available for patrons. A few hours of leaning over 5,000-count boxes, coupled with all the walking, will wipe out your back by the end of the first day.

Sack Lunch: Convention center food is expensive and bland and the lines can be long. Would you rather spend an extra $12-$15 a day on cards or on a mediocre sandwich and bag of chips that also takes away from your time?

What Not to Bring?

Junk Wax: Nobody wants it and you'll be stuck lugging it around or wasting time returning it to your car.

Commons: For the most part, no dealers will be buying 5,000-count boxes of base cards. When you do see these transactions taking place, they have usually been brokered ahead of time, most likely in response to an online or print ad.

Off-Condition Vintage Cards: Condition is everything to vintage dealers and chances are they will pass on all sub-par conditioned items. Unless you've got some of the most iconic cards ever made, don't bother bringing anything that would grade less than VG/EX.

Large Luggage: You don't want to be the guy people have to navigate around with your monstrous roll-behind. It happens every year.

NSCC Highlights, Events and Other Activities

After you put your initial game plan together, be sure to visit The National's official website for up-to-the-minute additions and changes to the show schedule and planned events. Here is a brief rundown of some of the regular opportunities available to collectors.

VIP Party: This is the official kickoff event of the Annual NSCC (VIP or Super VIP badge holders only).

Sneak Peek Event: The official grand opening of the NSCC open to all patrons takes place on Wednesday from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM.

Kids Free Week at the National: All youngsters 12 and under will be admitted free all five days of the show, courtesy of the National.

Final Thoughts

Don't jump on the first card you see that is on your list. Chances are you will find it eight tables down for less money. Instead, make a note of the item and booth number and circle back.

Don't be afraid to counter-offer the marked price of an item. Dealers are used it and the worst that can happen is they decline.

Unless you're a high-roller with deep pockets or like overpaying for cards, don't even bother with dealers who do not have their items clearly marked. You will most likely waste your time asking.

Deals can be made fast and furious in the latter hours of the NSCC on Sunday as it is the final day. Dealers are looking to show a profit from the cost of exhibiting and are often willing to wheel and deal more than usual.

If you have autograph tickets, head to the autograph pavilion about 30 minutes before your scheduled signer is set to appear. The event organizers line you up according to the number on your ticket so it isn't a free-for-all. You would hate to miss your spot and have to wait in line at the back of the queue.

To get the most out of the National, dress comfortably, have a game plan and stick to your budget. Most importantly, have fun! That's why you collect in the first place, right?

Mike

Comments

• Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

id like to add...just because you brought cash. does NOT mean you have to spend it.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wish I had large amounts of cash TO carry. Anytime I need a twenty, I just wait until my wife dozes off, and bypass the alarm on her purse.

• Options

Most collectors bring between $1000 and $5000 cash.

• Options

@softparade said:
    I don't carry large amounts of cash ANYWHERE. This isn't 1987 anymore. I wouldn't be interested in cash ONLY dealers at a show like this.

I don't get this either and am surprised there haven't been issues with robberies. I mean, you can pull out your internet phone and pay via PayPal while you stand there, can't you? I can't imagine carrying more than a grand or two to any type of collectibles show, auction or convention.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@softparade said:
    I don't carry large amounts of cash ANYWHERE. This isn't 1987 anymore. I wouldn't be interested in cash ONLY dealers at a show like this.

I don't get this either and am surprised there haven't been issues with robberies. I mean, you can pull out your internet phone and pay via PayPal while you stand there, can't you? I can't imagine carrying more than a grand or two to any type of collectibles show, auction or convention.

Remember, the vast majority of collectors anymore are getting up there in age. This new fangled technology is confusing. Speaking for myself, I'm still rolling with a Galaxy 5S. I HATE getting new phones and the process of transferring everything over. BUT, because I figured I would need it, I ordered a new phone and will be getting it today. I'll be able to check pricing and do the Paypal thing IF I need to but isn't going to change the amount of cash that I bring. I guess I'm old school and have always been a cash guy. One credit card only because you have to have a credit card in today's world. I will admit I use my debit card a lot.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am more nervous as the day goes on and I am carrying around the cards I purchased than I am the cash I bring. The cards are harder to replace!

I hope that there are no incidents for anyone of any kind. I hear more about theft from dealers than theft from customers at the National. Customers only have one thing to watch (briefcase, etc,). Dealers are helping multiple customers at once so it is difficult to see everything.

Would think you would know it instantly and cause a ruckus if someone took your stuff as a customer.

Of course my cash and card amount is less than many on the board.

• Options

If you're going to be carrying large amounts of cash, this will need to be your attire.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be prepared for the largest congregation of men wearing cargo shorts that you will ever see.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    If you're going to be carrying large amounts of cash, this will need to be your attire.

That's pretty close... no need to be excessively dirty or try too hard. Just blend in with thrift store Levi's and a clean t-shirt with 5 year old beat up Air Jordans, with a random sweat stained ball cap and a week or 2 beard growth. No jewelry at all and maybe a cheapo Wal-Mart digital watch with plastic band. Keep small bills in your wallet and the large bills elsewhere, so when you're buying lunch at McDonald's or something to read at the airport, you're not accidentally flashing a lot of cash. Believe me, you'd be hard pressed convincing anyone you were carrying more than $20 in that get-up.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    I am more nervous as the day goes on and I am carrying around the cards I purchased than I am the cash I bring. The cards are harder to replace!

I hope that there are no incidents for anyone of any kind. I hear more about theft from dealers than theft from customers at the National. Customers only have one thing to watch (briefcase, etc,). Dealers are helping multiple customers at once so it is difficult to see everything.

Would think you would know it instantly and cause a ruckus if someone took your stuff as a customer.

Of course my cash and card amount is less than many on the board.

I would agree. You're more apt to be targeted for your card purchases than the cash you're carrying...because WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND carries cash nowadays?! HA!

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@softparade said:
    Wait, what the hell is wrong with cargo shorts?

It’s the official warm weather bottomwear for out of shape 40ish guys who don’t care for being fashionable. Like me.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:

@softparade said:

It’s the official warm weather bottomwear for out of shape 40ish guys who don’t care for being fashionable. Like me.

and Jorts would be more fashionable? :D

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@softparade said:

@rcmb3220 said:

@softparade said:

and Jorts would be more fashionable? :D

Baker Mayfield paying tribute to Brett Favre just came to mind... :)

• Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Cash gets better deals. A couple times last year in Cleveland I squeezed hard late Saturday and it came down to them asking if I was paying cash. A good quality pair of Cargo Shorts, when used properly, helps keep the wallet secure. On a normal day my cash on hand is less than $100, but I think carrying cash to the National saved me a bit of cash. Don't be a big shot by flashing it around.

• Options

I'm telling you, if you're carrying a lot of cash, just dress like this. I promise you, the robbers will not go near you.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@softparade said:

Hiya Dan

There's a memorabilia dealer who has great prices and variety at the National - coincidentally the first pic is his stuff - it came from Cardboard Connection - so what a coincidence?

He doesn't take credit cards but surprisingly will take checks. Since I enjoy buying from him? I go by his rules.

All and all, most vendors now take credit cards - plus there's ATMs.

Hope we can see each other in AC next year?

Mike
  • Options

@doubledragon said:
    I'm telling you, if you're carrying a lot of cash, just dress like this. I promise you, the robbers will not go near you.

If I was of criminal mind, and saw someone like that, I'd assume they were unbankable and likely carrying around any and all cash, whatever amount, that they had. I'd just follow them down to the check cashing place, likely on the 3rd of every month, and it would be like taking candy from a baby.

• Options

@Stone193 said:

@softparade said:

Hiya Dan

There's a memorabilia dealer who has great prices and variety at the National - coincidentally the first pic is his stuff - it came from Cardboard Connection - so what a coincidence?

He doesn't take credit cards but surprisingly will take checks. Since I enjoy buying from him? I go by his rules.

All and all, most vendors now take credit cards - plus there's ATMs.

Hope we can see each other in AC next year?

It would be amazing to meet you in AC next year Mike!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2019 3:00PM

@softparade said:

I think I have had the same $10 in my wallet for the last 2 years. I don’t carry real amounts of cash.

$1.10 please, i’m swiping! I want my 2% cash back baby.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@basketballcollector said:
    Most collectors bring between $1000 and $5000 cash.

Yup.

Mike
  • Options

Last year I stayed from Wed thru Saturday.

Every year I promise I'll do a better job of covering the floor.

It's amazing how fast the day goes by.

There actually is a lot to see especially if you're more of a non-card collector.

Good luck to those attending - please...

Lots of pics!

Mike
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

well, if you are looking for 75 mini rack packs this year, they have been cleaned out by a certain certified professional board member :)

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    edited July 30, 2019 6:08PM

@mknez said:
    well, if you are looking for 75 mini rack packs this year, they have been cleaned out by a certain certified professional board member :)

lol you?

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is taking the 75 minis racks?

😉

KC

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

I may have 10k in cash to spend. Hope that guy shows up at the airport.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

EagleEyeKid said:
    I may have 10k in cash to spend. Hope that guy shows up at the airport.

Catch me if you can

• Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

One thing from the OP that I didn't see anybody emphasize was the make a note of where you see something of interest. My first natty, I bet I missed a dozen things because I was gonna come back later. The show is/was bigger than I expected my first go around. Forgetting a booth is super easy when you are in that kid in a candy store mode!

Also, on the cash discussion. Cash talks. As has been mentioned, this hobby is dominated by middle aged white guys who are pretty tech unsaavy on the whole. Old school if you will. I always tried to use the credit card first for the card rewards and to track purchases. But if I can knock off a chunk of change by using cash, I'm all about it ;)

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options

Well, this certainly has been a fun thread today. I've gotten to show two pictures of slobs wearing undershirts, and EagleEyeKid and Vagabond are involved in a cat and mouse game of "rob me if you can". I can't wait until tomorrow. Maybe lawnmowerman will come rumbling through on his John Deere.

• Options

One thing from the OP that I didn't see anybody emphasize was the make a note of where you see something of interest

The last 2 yrs they had it in Chicago, I stayed at the Hilton - thru the convention center booking - thought the price was fair.

It's right across the street from the show.

Now - around the block from the center and hotel - there's a food area with a small astroturfed field with a bandstand - 2 days I was there last time - 1 nite they had a killer country rock band and another what I would consider a first rate Van Halen tribute band - way better than I would have ever guessed when I saw they were playing. Of course, it's free.

The food around there is OK.

I recommend - if one likes pizza? Ya gotta try Lou Malnati's - there's one really close to the hotel - just be ready to wait - it takes about an hour to get pan pizza. IMO? Well worth the wait.

I didn't care much for downtown unless you're gonna go to a game - if there's a game at Wrigley? Well worth the time - tho it's a good distance from the hotel/convention center.

If anyone is staying at the Hilton - in the evening there'll be a bunch of people at the bar to chat with.

I made friends with a couple of lawyers from KY 4 yrs ago - and the yr before last - they saw me on the floor and remembered me and we sat and talked for a bit.

When it's on the slower side? You'll not meet a better bunch of vendors overall.

You gotta see Levi Bleam in his white hat! 707 Sportscards!

The Auction houses will be loaded with great stuff to look at!

Always nice to visit Topps and see what they have going on - tho it's Donruss/Prizm/Panini where all the excitement is - quite noisy tho.

And for sure - see what "rips" are going on - that type of venue has exploded over the years.

If you like Hartlands or bobbins? Lou and John of Inside the Park Collectibles are the best! They usually share space with another guy - he usually has the sign for both of them - it had the word "Treasures" in the sign - bottom line they come with white cabinets and a ton of bobbin heads - hi quality if you're in the market for a good Mantle or Maris e.g.

I'm gonna cut off - I'm getting disappointed that I won't be there this year.

Mike
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike is in full National mode here. Great advice for any newbies for sure. Going to miss you this year buddy, and can’t wait to see you in AC next year.

KC

• Options

I've never been to a National. That changes next year Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will see insane things thrown away in the trash cans. Here is what I have found at past Nationals (and other regional shows):

• 1993 Upper Deck SP set in a binder with just the Jeter missing
    • Approx. 100 still in mailing wrapper back issues of 1980's Baseball Cards Magazine with card inserts
    • Nice condition binders with pages
    • A half filled rack box of 1987 Topps BB
    • Several hundred slightly used one touch card holders
    • A thousand? cracked out PSA card slabs with flips (I didn't take them, but WOW)
    • Show promo bags with all contents
    • a tray of Mr. Mint facsimile signed baseballs!
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    You will see insane things thrown away in the trash cans. Here is what I have found at past Nationals (and other regional shows):

• Approx. 100 still in mailing wrapper back issues of 1980's Baseball Cards Magazine with card inserts
    • A thousand? cracked out PSA card slabs with flips (I didn't take them, but WOW)

One man's trash is another man's treasure. There used to be a Value Village near my home, and on Sunday nights I would sneak up to their dumpster after they closed. I used to find all kinds of stuff. It was stuff they didn't sell. Rare books, classic albums, dvd's, even a pair of Jordans, which I gave to a homeless man. The fun finally ended one night when an employee returned to the store and caught me. I'll always have fond memories of my Value Village adventures.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:

Heck yeah, I could make use of freebies like these -- nothing wrong with taking and sorting through at home, since they are to be tossed out anyway. Unfortunately not able to make this national, but should be when it next rolls around to Chicago again in '21 and '23. :)

• Options
    edited July 31, 2019 9:03PM

@Nathaniel1960 said:

This reminds me of the 1992 National in Atlanta.

Witnessed myself.

Situation: 92F cello packs had the exclusive of the Rookie Sensations - leading the charge? Frank Thomas.

Two young boys were sitting on the floor outside the convention center against a wall - opening packs.

When done. They abandoned "all" of the cards except for any RS's they pulled.

My son chased those cards - but he did complete a 92F set.

Mike