Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Has this happened to you before?

I'm working on completing the Redskins HOF'ers rookie set. One if the cards I needed was 1952 Bowman Wayne Millner. I picked it up in BGS 7 slab. Cracked it out and sent it in. It came back minsizerq. Pretty disappointing to say the least. I guess I shouldn't have cracked it but instead sent it in for crossover with a min grade. Live and learn I guess. And seeing as I cracked it out there is no recourse with either the seller or BGS.

1954 Football Bowman
1956 Topps
1957 Topps
Redskins HOF Rookies
Redskins Ring of Fame Rookies
Slinging Sammy Baugh
Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
Redskins Matchbooks

Comments

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Yea that sux.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, the card looks like it has been trimmed top to bottom. Definitely, a live and learn situation and just try not to make the same mistake. With a hobby saturated with trimmed graded cards it becomes even more important than ever to be critical of the card even if it is encased.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you provide the exact measurements?

Mike
  • Options
    BishtwBishtw Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Can you provide the exact measurements?

2 ¹/16 × 3 ¹/16

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:
    Unfortunately, the card looks like it has been trimmed top to bottom.

If PSA thought it was trimmed they would have sent it back with ALTERED or TRIMMED on the label.

• Options

@jfkheat said:

@ArtVandelay said:
    Unfortunately, the card looks like it has been trimmed top to bottom.

If PSA thought it was trimmed they would have sent it back with ALTERED or TRIMMED on the label.

The 48 Leaf Bullet Bill Dudley in the same submission was returned "Altered". I bought this card raw and while still disappointed, I knew that's always a possibility. Having it happen on a BGS slabbed card kinda threw me.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2019 9:16PM

I can't remember.

Is the tolerance for being short 1/32"?

edit: it's 1/16" short - I would consider a resub? I had a card that was marked MC - did a resub and it came back graded - was very slightly diamond cut.

Mike
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I have broken open several SGC cards and received the same thing from PSA. I now measure before if I decide to send to PSA.

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I subbed a modern era Jordan card that I personally opened that came back as trimmed .

• Options

@Stone193 said:
    I can't remember.

Is the tolerance for being short 1/32"?

edit: it's 1/16" short - I would consider a resub? I had a card that was marked MC - did a resub and it came back graded - was very slightly diamond cut.

Is the tolerance really 1/32?
    Thats very tight, especially for these vintage bowman's. I bought about 200 raw 54 bowman that a friend's father ripped when he was a kid and the difference between the longest card and the shortest is probably ⁵/16's or worse.
    That said and back to this card, the bottom right of this card does have a werid, less than straight edge to it. I wonder if that is something they saw that bgs missed.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks