Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2018 panini prizm football hobby box- good investment?

I have my doubts about Mayfield, but have to admit he really performed at a high level last year.
Barkely appears to be a major star in the making.
Don't know which is a better investment, hobby box of 2018 at around $280 or
2017 with Mahomes, D. Watson, Trubisky at around $500

I realize Contenders hobby boxes are probably more popular but also more expensive.
Really I'm thinking both years are a good investment, especially since the box breaking crews are
already breaking 2017 product.

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2019 1:05PM
    1. Don’t forget Kamara, Mixon, Fournette....

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

As much as I love RBs a ton they don't make a class and don't have the value of QBs. Is is crazy how little Kamara, Mixon, Fournette are worth compared to even the med level QBs in that class.

If you are gonna invest in football is it scary how much you should stick to QBs and avoid all other positions.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brendanb438 said:
    As much as I love RBs a ton they don't make a class and don't have the value of QBs. Is is crazy how little Kamara, Mixon, Fournette are worth compared to even the med level QBs in that class.

If you are gonna invest in football is it scary how much you should stick to QBs and avoid all other positions.

Maybe the best thing would be forget 2018 and go with 2017 because I think Mahomes and Watson
    are the two best young QBs, and Trubisky has a great chance to join them.
    Of course you never know if and when injuries will play a part. Some folks say with the rules protecting
    the QB today don't worry about it, but try telling that to Alex Smith or Jimmy Grappolo.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watson got overshadowed by Mahomes last year but he’s a beast too. Over 4,000 passing yds and a 26-9 TD-INT ratio, which doesn’t include his rushing stats.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2019 12:29AM

@brendanb438 said:

I agree absolutely with this advice. I will also add, when in doubt go with whoever you think will be the best. When the dust settles there will generally only be one, maybe two players from every generation who will really pop and grow in value over time. So if this is going to be a long hold, I would be betting on whichever of the players you think has the best chance to be the generational talent. If I were betting now, I would go with Mahomes and 2017 out of those years. I would also consider pre-ordering 2021 Prizm FB in anticipation of the next big thing (Trevor Lawrence). Book it.

Steve
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2019 12:59PM

Its close. 2018 had a large class of great players (Mayfield, Barkley, Allen, Darnold, Jackson, Michel, and many more). I really think Mayfield, Barkley and Michel will shine in the future. That being said Mahomes will shine the greatest. I would buy a box of the 2018 and with the extra money I would buy a nice Mahomes graded rookie. Should equal out to around $500. Just my weird opinion.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Baker Mayfield is one of the most dangerous players in the NFL. He's got that fire inside of him. If you watch him play, he's really intense on the field. That kind of attitude rubs off on the players around him. The Browns looked a lot better last season with him at the controls. If he stays healthy, somebody better look out.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Lots of great potential in both of those classes, I think current prices are quite high already for players who have yet to win a Super Bowl. I would rather spend the money on safer, sure fire HOFERS (Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Rodgers, etc.). Peyton Manning has 14 Pro Bowls, 7 All-Pro, 5 time MVP, 2 time SB champion, and considered by many as a top 3 QB of all time. PSA 10 rookies are still very reasonable and should continue to do well in the future.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2019 2:29PM

You really have to look at the Panini FB Monopoly era 2016-2018 to properly assess the "investment" options. Panini really lucked out that the first 3 years of their monopoly had such strong QB classes. There are at least 3 franchise level QBs in each year. Here is my ranking of the QBs based on perceived potential, you can argue 2-5 since they are so close, #1 is a lock.

1. Patrick Mahomes
    2. Carson Wentz
    3. Baker Mayfield
    4. Jared Goff
    5. Deshaun Watson
    6. Sam Darnold
    7. Dak Prescott
    8. Josh Allen
    9. Mitch Trubisky
    10. Josh Rosen
    11. Lamar Jackson

RBs are the next most collected players. There are fewer franchise backs out there due to the changes in NFL Offenses. The top 2 RBs are in 2016 (Zeke) and 2018 (Saquon), but 2017 has great depth but the top RB (Fournette) could be a bust. Kamara and McCaffrey are the most new age backs that could be stars. I also have been buying Kareem Hunt RCs for cheap, I think he could be a nice mid-season boost for the Browns.

I don't consider WRs in the equation since except for 1986, 1998, and maybe 2007, WRs don't move the needle when it comes to modern football investments. 2011 has two of the top WRs (Julio Jones, AJ Green) and there really isn't any demand for 2011 FB unopened.

With all that being said, I would pick 2018 as the better investment over 2017. The main reason is that 2018 has more QBs and Mason Rudolph could be another Jimmy Garoppolo lottery ticket. 2017 products already had a great run and I'm not sure a second QB will emerge to drive it higher. I don't think Watson will have a 50 TD year like Mahomes due to the Houston offensive scheme. 2016 could have another big year since all 3 QBs are with teams in their prime, but if I could short QBs, I might short Wentz. He is already 27 and I think the injuries are going to slow him down a la Sam Bradford.

I like the 2018 Optic Mega Box (Target) case at Dave & Adams for $639. 20 boxes with Bronze Prizms and 1 auto per box. The star rookie autos are short printed, but the risk at $32/box is a lot different than a hobby box at $160+. If you wait for one of their sales, you can get it for even a better price.

These boxes were $50 at Target and immediately tanked, the market agreed with me that the Walmart Megas at $35 were a better deal. At $32, it's a decent buy.

https://dacardworld.com/sports-cards/2018-panini-donruss-optic-football-collectors-20-box-case#CasePricing

Mike
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, a lot of great posts, thanks guys!

ndleo- nice list of QB rankings. It will be interesting to see how that list looks at the end of
    this upcoming season. A lot of great potential for sure!
    I've been selling some Mahomes rookies just to take some profit in case he would happen to get injured
    and everyone forgets about him, and the Panini Prizm auto cards I've sold have been bringing strong prices.
    In fact the prizm non auto cards have been selling really well also.

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Or take out the Risk, and use the $ to buy Graded Dimes!

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller