Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Yeti awakes (yes, I have a newp again)

After a long dry spell, I finally was able to scratch that proverbial itch that likely nearly all of us know and have done plenty of times.

Earlier this year, I bid on and lost out on a Charles I Civil War Crown from the Truro mint. I was disappointed, as I felt I lost on on a pretty nice piece at a reasonable price. Yesterday late afternoon, a UK dealer listed a new FPL that contained a markedly superior specimen of this same type -- also at a price level that I felt was reasonable. Combing through the entire FPL with my partner-in-crime @Nap, we settled on lots of respective interest and contacted the dealer about availability, etc. (I'll let the Napster detail his side of the event.)

I found three pieces that greatly interested me, and eventually was able to get the dealer to reserve (pending settlement) my #2 choice. (My 1st and 3rd choices were unavailable.)

Charles I Truro Mint (1642-3) Crown

Wt. 29.59g., no date, i.m. rose, king on horseback left, his sash with two loose ends extended, rev. oval garnished shield, Besly A1; N.2531; S.3045, a full round specimen, good horseman, a pleasing VF

From the Eric Evans Collection of Provincial Coins of Charles I.

For those who do not know, the Truro Mint in Cornwall (and its sister Exeter Mint in Devon) was a wartime mint that produced coins under Royal authority. These coins were usually of imperfect quality, with oddly shaped flans or significant patches of striking weakness.

The above example, as you can see, looks like a perfectly well-executed coin with an old-time aged look to it.

Though I do yet have the coin in hand, I suspect I will be ecstatic when it arrives.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

FPL = Fixed Price List?

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha said:
    FPL = Fixed Price List?

Yes

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks great. Nice detail on the mane and tail.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Neat coin! Congratulations on your find.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would that be MR?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Would that be MR?

Indeed

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my area of expertise but it doesn’t matter, I can appreciate this one. I bet you’re right that it will be very nice when you receive it. Congrats!

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, I think you'll like it

@EVillageProwler said:
    Combing through the entire FPL with my partner-in-crime @Nap, we settled on lots of respective interest and contacted the dealer about availability, etc. (I'll let the Napster detail his side of the event.)

Simply, I took interest in 3 coins and all sold before I could get them. The end. :)

• Options

@Nap said:

Simply, I took interest in 3 coins and all sold before I could get them. The end. :)

Boring

• Options

Thanks for the comments!

I got the coin today -- haven't had time to image it properly, but I did take a closer look at it. It's accurately described and graded by the dealer: "a pleasing VF". It has copious handling scuffs and hairlines on the obverse in the fields. But, it is also a very nice coin. No major marks, edge bruises or blemish whatsoever. Without a loupe, one might even say it was 'Good VF' or better. Probably a nice compromise grade for this is 'Bold VF'.

Anyway, I am super ecstatic to have gotten this coin because -- grade not withstanding -- this coin is just a perfect wholesome coin and so much better than typical.

I took a video of this coin but don't know how to post it (aside from using YouTube, which I do not want to do).