Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Whats the best way to crack out PSA and BGS slabs?

CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may be cracking a few slabs depending on how my current submission comes back. I have always wondered how to crack a slab open without damaging such a fragile card. I'm more of a coin guy and the PCGS slabs are a breeze to crack and the coin inside is much less fragile. Any tips, pics, or video would help.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tools: hammer, medium flatblade screwdriver, sandwich baggie

Place either corner of the slab near the top/flip in sandwich baggie (important to avoid shards of plastic flying everywhere) and give it a good whack with a hammer.

Use screwdriver to gently pry open the remainder until the halves of the slab separate.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I looked this up on youtube a couple of months ago. They had a few videos that showed how to open up the PSA slabs. One guy was opening them up with ease. I actually bought a batch of slabbed cards on eBay just to practice opening them. I haven't done any yet though...

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2019 8:43AM

Here is a quick video I recorded years ago to show the guys on this board how easy it was to crack a BGS graded card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzrEsDe7TqQ

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2019 8:51AM

I actually have a Joe Louis card in a SGC slab that I want to crack and submit to PSA, but I can't seem to find the courage to do it. It's a rare card, and I am scared I'll damage it. I watched a Youtube video on how to do it. I approach the card with a hammer and screwdriver, but I always end up dropping the tools, and running away to the bathroom to cry. Afterwards, I apologize to Joe, and go about my day.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a bench vice to hold the card and a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to crack one of the top 2 corners and a little of the top border of the holder. Then use the screwdriver to pry the holder open.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I actually have a Joe Louis card in a SGC slab that I want to crack and submit to PSA, but I can't seem to find the courage to do it. It's a rare card, and I am scared I'll damage it. I watched a Youtube video on how to do it. I approach the card with a hammer and screwdriver, but I always end up dropping the tools, and running away to the bathroom to cry. Afterwards, I apologize to Joe, and go about my day.

Of the big three, SGC are by far the easiest to separate the slabs in my experience. PSA depends on slab generation, and BGS the toughest to separate cleanly (and the only one I've damaged a card while cracking). I'm pretty sure I could split most SGCs with just a thin flatblade twisted in the groove.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Louis card + flatblade =

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    Here is a quick video I recorded years ago to show the guys on this board how easy it was to crack a BGS graded card.

Someone call the ATF! Guns and alcohol all over that video!!

That aside, that's how I crack them as well. It's very easy. You will get the rare booger that doesn't want to come apart as easily but most of the time they are just as he has shown.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@Dpeck100 said:

Someone call the ATF! Guns and alcohol all over that video!!

That aside, that's how I crack them as well. It's very easy. You will get the rare booger that doesn't want to come apart as easily but most of the time they are just as he has shown.

Haha

I get a laugh out of seeing this video because I am much more slimmed down now. This was pre shoulder surgery. I went from trying to be jacked to trying to be cut like I was in my early 20's. I am much more comfortable with my current weight and work out regimen.

This method works like magic. I at first would clip them in the middle and that is dangerous because it splits in two and you can damage the card at the bottom. The mylar sleeve makes it much easier to make a bad cut and still get the card out safely.

The new PSA holder is beyond scary to crack.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't had too many more issues with the new PSA holder. Seems that it is held together tighter at the seams but just have to be a little more careful.
    Yes, the shoulder surgery will dampen the workout routine. After being a 6 day a week workout guy into my early 30's, I had recurring shoulder dislocations which all but destroyed any heavy press or upper body work. Not that I was ever big anyhow. Then after the surgery, and re-surgery, the arm doesn't move the way it should and I had to give it all up as well as golf and softball. At this point, I'm 49 and happy to hear that the "dad bod" is in. Hoping my moobies are a turn on for the younger ladies!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    seablasterseablaster Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    Haha

I get a laugh out of seeing this video because I am much more slimmed down now. This was pre shoulder surgery. I went from trying to be jacked to trying to be cut like I was in my early 20's. I am much more comfortable with my current weight and work out regimen.

You got a haircut just for that video, didn't you? Come on man, tell the truth.

:)

• Options

@seablaster said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    Haha

You got a haircut just for that video, didn't you? Come on man, tell the truth.

:)

Haha

In life you’re not far off base.

This is when smart phones started to take off and Bill got one before me. He was showing me the awesome features and I said dude hang on let me get a card and let’s do a quick video before we hit the pool.

• Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    I haven't had too many more issues with the new PSA holder. Seems that it is held together tighter at the seams but just have to be a little more careful.
    Yes, the shoulder surgery will dampen the workout routine. After being a 6 day a week workout guy into my early 30's, I had recurring shoulder dislocations which all but destroyed any heavy press or upper body work. Not that I was ever big anyhow. Then after the surgery, and re-surgery, the arm doesn't move the way it should and I had to give it all up as well as golf and softball. At this point, I'm 49 and happy to hear that the "dad bod" is in. Hoping my moobies are a turn on for the younger ladies!

So many things I can’t do without triggering issues with my shoulder and then arm. I have learned to try and stay in my lane.

The stair master is the best. Burns so many calories and is the most effective cardio. Shoulder can’t stop you from that! 😀

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2019 2:51PM

I've found the new PSA case is easy to crack. Just clip the upper right or left corner and then trim the edge all around. The edge of the top overhamging the bottom trims off easily and usually in long pieces. Slide a flat head screwdriver in at the label and the top and bottom pops apart.

Steve

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

Don’t make the same mistake I did once. Don’t have a couple drinks before you do it.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@erba said:
    Don’t make the same mistake I did once. Don’t have a couple drinks before you do it.

Welcome to the forum

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

Download the MP4 -- use VLC ( Windows) or Quicktime ( Mac). Sorry I've had this video since 2004- old one I did to show how easy cases were to hand crack. Won't play direct ( too old) but if you use either of those 2 you'll see it. And yes I casually tossed that card away at the end :#

PSA SLAB CRACK