Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Favorite "Cheap" Coins

Not everything in your set has to be expensive or impressive. Do you have a few favorite "cheap" coins that you enjoy owning?

Here are a couple of bird-themed proofs from my "flock". They cost less than $100 for the pair, but they go nicely with the theme and are attractive coins. Botswana 2 Pula on the left and Cayman $2 on the right.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.

Comments

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this one because of its connection to an awesome historical detective show from Sweden, ANNO 1790. It's such a shame that it only ran for one season.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

That is a neat story, @jgenn !

Very cool coin, @Bob13 .

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own quite a few modern proof and ms crowns

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:

What a cool piece of history!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure I picked it up off eBay as a best offer for about $100.

Was at the annual coin show in town a couple weeks ago. Chatted to one of the bigger world coin dealers and I was asking for early European coins. He has these copper schillings from John Casamir who rules both Poland and Lithuania. Same obverse but different reverses for each kingdom. Sorry for crummy pics but these are tiny!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't own any but I have seen some Crusader coinage that I think it quite reasonably priced. In the $100 range, I bought a 1760 Peru one real late last year that I grade as XF-AU for about $120.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't pay much for this, but I like the look of it.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

Here is a lightly pastel toned 1855 Hamburg Sechsling that was in the $20-30 range.

"Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    edited July 27, 2019 8:11PM

This is the last one for tonight for me from my mixed world binder where all my cheap impulse buys go. An 1882 Haiti 1 Gourde. This is in the ~$50 range.

• Options
    tbishoprictbishopric Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Costa Rican coffee plantation tokens with countermarks. Pretty inexpensive tokens, but interesting history. Workers were given these tokens for each basket of coffee beans picked. They could exchange them on pay day for currency or trade them directly with merchants.

• Options

Lots of fun examples here.

Thanks for the history, @tbishopric.

And @neildrobertson has a few nice ones to share.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2019 2:57PM

Enjoy looking at your examples. My fun cheap set is Canada Nickel Dollars. Here is one of my favorites.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1928 halfcrown is easy to get, but I always seem to buy them in any condition if they are cheap.

And I just picked up this Kazakhstan 50 tenge Brandt's hedgehog, because of combined shipping (only a couple bucks)

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purchased this one for $19

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small Greek bronze coins. Artsy, historic, and cheap! This taken from Internet, under $50. Ebay has multiple coin lots you can win at less than $5 per coin. Great for practicing coin conservation.

Philip-II-Macedon-359-336-BC-AE18-Apollo-_1.jpg

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:
    Purchased this one for $19

Wow nice

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I paid $37 for this 1937 British Maundy four pence:

Great Britain 1937 Maundy silver four pence
    Silver, 16 mm, 1.88 gm

A four pence coin was also known as a "groat".

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a soft spot for this period of Mexico coinage in any denomination, it tends to be well made and when full of luster, it's quite attractive. Outside of gold bullion value, it's rather inexpensive and I pick it up whenever it comes around.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also like these smaller denomination wildmen coins. 4 and 6 mariengroschen.

Newps that arrived yesterday.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread... Inexpensive provides a more deserving and compelling narrative for coins such as these.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Lots of variety here! Thanks to everyone who has shared so far.

• Options
    Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

Silver France/Burgandy jetons or one-third ecu. Love the pillar of Hercules done French Style. One in bronze recently sold at Schulman for about $100 which seems high.

• Options

Very cool, @Que_sai_je! I hadn't seen those before but like the sunfaces.