Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone ever have luck changing PSA's mind on a mis-identified item?

I sent in a ticket stub from 1940 and I wrote exactly what the stub was. They listed it as something different. I can totally see why they made the mistake, it's a very easy thing to do with the way the games were numbered. However, I called and asked to inform them and they said that all they could do is put it on a "ship hold" and when they get done or when someone else sees the issue they can bring it up then. The rep was nice and I emailed a description of the issue and how to prove the resolve I labeled was correct. I guess I am just curious if this has happened to anyone else and if PSA heard their concerns and changed their opinion, or if they are hard headed like the people at that price guide slabbing company and stand firm no matter what?

Thanks!

Comments

• firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

If you can prove it using the SCD, you will have better luck. other than that you need to provide proof and good proof.

# 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • @firedawg45 said:
    If you can prove it using the SCD, you will have better luck. other than that you need to provide proof and good proof.

Well I don’t think I will find it there but I mean it’s not something I should prove it’s something they should know. It was on the research tab long enough. But thank you I’ll see if I can find something else.

Anyone else have any actual experience with this?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2019 6:04AM

VERY difficult to do.

You need to contact someone (Cossetta? Gayle?) before sending it back and explaining to them the problem.

IF it's obvious that an error has occurred, it should get fixed.

I once called while an order was being processed and told them I had mis-identified a card as Topps when it was OPC but it still came back wrong. The card clearly said it was OPC on the back.

Good luck!

edited to add; To answer your question, yes, on several occasions.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Yes, I had them change it once.
    I knowingly sent in a counterfeit card to prove it was indeed counterfeit. When PSA graded it & didn't catch it I immediately contacted them and heard back from Scott Single (Director of Operations at PSA). We spoke on the phone & I emailed my evidence upon his request & he agreed with me. He said they would label the card as ? authenticity & also pass on all of that evidence to their research department. I give them credit for listening.
    However, I have since seen a number of these same fakes out there slabbed in both PSA & BGS holders so I'm not sure just how much they listened. These fakes are easy to spot once you know what to look for. I've tried to contact Scott Single to inquire more on this & have been ignored.
    Remember one very important thing - although grading companies should know things like this it is we, the collectors on the ground, that these grading companies get most of their information from. I think they forget that sometimes.
    I will say good luck in the future. I know a lot of similar situations didn't turn out as well as mine did.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

@Air23GOAT said:
    Yes, I had them change it once.
    I knowingly sent in a counterfeit card to prove it was indeed counterfeit. When PSA graded it & didn't catch it I immediately contacted them and heard back from Scott Single (Director of Operations at PSA). We spoke on the phone & I emailed my evidence upon his request & he agreed with me. He said they would label the card as ? authenticity & also pass on all of that evidence to their research department. I give them credit for listening.
    However, I have since seen a number of these same fakes out there slabbed in both PSA & BGS holders so I'm not sure just how much they listened. These fakes are easy to spot once you know what to look for. I've tried to contact Scott Single to inquire more on this & have been ignored.
    Remember one very important thing - although grading companies should know things like this it is we, the collectors on the ground, that these grading companies get most of their information from. I think they forget that sometimes.
    I will say good luck in the future. I know a lot of similar situations didn't turn out as well as mine did.

Do you mind sharing with us the card and what to look for? Since many of us assume those two companies slabbed cards are authentic. Thx

• Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

It's the Michael Jordan '96-97 Skybox A Cut Above insert.
    There's actually one listed on ebay now that is slabbed in a PSA 8 holder. Here it is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-97-Skybox-E-X2000-A-Cut-Above-Michael-Jordan-Card-5-PSA-8-NM-MT/133087702743?hash=item1efca52ed7:g:GeIAAOSwTQNcKWwr

I have a real & fake one of these I keep for reference purposes & they are easy to spot.
    The first is the valleys of the saw at the top should not be totally smooth & round like they are. They should have a subtle point in the valley (they actually give you a picture of how it should look on the back of the card with the saw blades- look above MJ's head). Another big tell is the surface of the card. It has too much shine - not like a real holofoil card. Holofoil has tiny pits in it. This fake has more of smooth wavy surface. The back of the card is also a shade or two darker on the fakes.
    Go compare other A Cut Above cards listed on ebay now. The others listed are real - I checked.
    If you want more in-depth info then let me know.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• Update - After proactively reaching out, they asked me to forward some proof to them about the games. I prevented examples and other slabbed tickets with dates and such. They accepted the evidence and changed the game name on the label. It was pretty easy and I am glad I reached out!

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you!

Great feeling isn't it?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set